Forum > Decoders > Installation > Setup not working after decoder exchange
Old 2017-09-09 , 16:11
Still gets up to change channels

Default Setup not working after decoder exchange

Help please! I have two explora one decodes setup with xtraview. Cables run from lnb into multi switch and from one multi switch to the second one. Unicables then run from port a on each multi switch to each decoder. Due to a harddrive corruption error, I swapped the secondary decoder for a refurbished one. I was told that I just need to hook them up again and it will work. When I connected them up again, the secondary decoder cannot find a signal and tells me there is a problem with the installation or there is bad weather.

I have not changed anything in the setup from when it worked this morning so I am assuming that this is a setting change hat needs to be corrected.

Any help would be appreciated.

Neil
Old 2017-09-09 , 19:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi Neil,

Let's try the following quick fix on the refurbished Explora;

Settings \ Satellite Settings \ Home Network
First change the User Bands for all the Tuners to the following Indexes, and afterwards then also change all of their associated Frequencies.

Tuner 1:
Index 3
Frequency 1892
Tuner 2:
Index 4
Frequency 2040
Tuner 3:
Index 2
Frequency 1680

A re-tune (same sub-menu) may then also be necessary.

If that doesn't work - then check the Indexes that are in use on the primary Explora and post them here.

----------------

Note that the cascading arrangement with your Explora Switches (they're not called MultiSwitches) is not a recommended solution.
They are likely to both be the version 5-1.

If the first one in the chain is fed by four cables from the LNB it's not too bad and you could just get a single 5-2 or 24-1Z version to replace with if they ever give problems.

But if there's just 2 input cables it may well only be a twin LNB and that won't be future proof for the hi band channels coming one day from MC.
Then, for your setup you would do best to buy a Smart LNB (SLNB). The Explora Switches would then be discarded.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-09-09 at 19:47. . Reason: Correction to Indexes and Frequencies given
Old 2017-09-09 , 19:59

I've changed the above settings info, had overlooked something.

Please note that;

1. The Frequency settings for Indexes 3 and 4 would be different if using a SLNB.

2. If you ever use just the 5-2 version as possibly suggested earlier and changed just one Explora "1" to the new 2A model, you would no longer be able to use Index 2 on both of their Tuner 3 settings and so would need to change equipment again.

For other readers wondering further about all of this;
The older Explora Switches only offer Indexes 0 to 4.
The reason for a problem here is probably due to the different frequencies that the old Explora Switches use for indexes 3 and 4, maybe set by the service centre if they didn't ask enough questions re the XV. With cascading one could use Indexes 0, 1 & 2 on both Switches and both their decoders, but why look for trouble with possible future setup changes.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-09-09 at 20:11. . Reason: Tidy up
Old 2017-09-09 , 22:46

Optimist,
The proposed settings worked like a charm and it's running again.
Thank you for the feedback in terms of my setup. I know that it's outdated but I am just waiting for the next catastrophic failure after which I plan to replace everything. Dish decorders etc.

Once again thank you very much for the support and feedback.
Old 2017-09-10 , 07:46

You're most welcome :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm View Post
...I am just waiting for the next catastrophic failure after which I plan to replace everything.
Well, HDD failures appear to be rare these days so you may not want to wait that long.
BTW, we haven't heard of any failures with the Explora 2A model so that would be my direction.

I've had my model 1's HDD (harddrive) fail twice due to power problems in the few years I've had it, one appeared to be a complete failure.
Solution has been a low level f/p (front panel) format: http://forum.dstv.com/showpost.php?p=205064&postcount=5
Can be better than a refurbished unit...
However, bear in mind that for the Exploras these days it is sometimes possible for a main service centre to recover and transfer your recordings, (or I suspect possibly even "reincarnate" them back onto the recovered HDD).
Old 2017-09-10 , 07:52

Also see this preventative idea: Further protecting my Explora 1 harddrive - AFTER a power failure
Old 2017-09-10 , 13:05

For information the following are the settings on primary decoder.
Tuner 1 1210 index 0
Tuner 2 1420 index 1
Tuner 3 1680 index 2

Thank you for the additional information. Will have a look at it.

Assistance is greatly appreciated. Regards
Old 2017-09-11 , 07:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm View Post
For information the following are the settings on primary decoder.
Tuner 1 1210 index 0
Tuner 2 1420 index 1
Tuner 3 1680 index 2
Just to confirm that is as was expected, and that those Indexes' frequencies are always the same on all equipment.

All the best with it,
Regards
Brian