Forum > Decoders > Installation > DStv Three XtraView Installation
Old 2017-08-02 , 07:50
Still gets up to change channels

Default DStv Three XtraView Installation

Hi, I am new here, I saw you cover something similar to my problem, but I am not sure how to implement it in my setup:

I got a Smart LNB LMX500(6 outputs A, B, C, D (Uni cable) 1, 2 Universal.
My current setup is port B to Xplora 1 (Primary) main bedroom, Port A DSTV HD (4U) (Secondary) to Bar on Extra view, Heartbeat cable from Xplora RF in to Bar RF in. (Xplora RF out to TV in Lounge)

From Smart LNB , universal port 2, We had a separate subscription to Flatlet (Canceled) but need triple view their now for my son.

Installer recon I need additional Dish to flat (don`t make sense) and a lot of equipment,Diplexer and switch. Can you please help me with setup.

Current Setup:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CURRENT LAYOUT.jpg (135.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Nutsman Tygerberg; 2017-08-02 at 07:53. . Reason: spelling
Old 2017-08-02 , 09:52
Technical Myriad

There are many ways to skin a cat.

(1) The most reliable way at the moment.

Run a HB cable to the flat via a T-piece to feed the HB cable to the 4U decoder in the flat.

HB out of the Explora, split via a T - piece to the existing 4U and to the 4U decoder in the flat.

The existing LNB cable from the legacy port on the LNB to the LNB input on the 4U decoder in the flat as it is.

The downside is the HB cable connection.

(2) The more complicated way would be to feed the HB signal via the LNB cabling, will require a diplexer behind each of the 4U decoders at least and maybe behind the Explora if it is not an Explora 2A.

This method has been shown to be less reliable but will work if the installation is done properly.

You can get suitable diplexers from Space TV in Brackenfell or from Ellies or from Aerial King.

The diplexer should be connected to the LNB port on each decoder as per the instructions that come with the diplexer, as well as the RF IN port on each decoder. The 4U in the flat should then be connected to port C on the SLNB, and the userbands set to not interfere with the other two decoders. ( Note I am not sure how to do this. Check the manual for the 4U decoder). There is a cable length restriction of 20m for reliable working but you could try it anyway.

The 4U decoder needs to be set for unicable working.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-08-02 , 18:15

"The most reliable way at the moment.

Run a HB cable to the flat via a T-piece to feed the HB cable to the 4U decoder in the flat.

HB out of the Explora, split via a T - piece to the existing 4U and to the 4U decoder in the flat.

The existing LNB cable from the legacy port on the LNB to the LNB input on the 4U decoder in the flat as it is.

The downside is the HB cable connection."

Hi, Geof. The T piece sounds easier (Reliable), what will the downside be?
Old 2017-08-02 , 18:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsman Tygerberg View Post
"The most reliable way at the moment.

The downside is the HB cable connection."
Hi, Geoff. The T piece sounds easier (Reliable), what will the downside be be on the HB cable connection?

The T piece: a normal T piece or does it have a special name?

Last edited by Nutsman Tygerberg; 2017-08-02 at 18:27. . Reason: add question
Old 2017-08-02 , 20:22
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

A standard F connector T Piece see screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F Connector.jpg (17.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 2017-08-03 , 08:13

Sorry that I sound confused, I just cant believe it is so simple, A installer was talking about a lot more, spares and money, but I must also say, that is why I came to the Forum and internet, because I thought he wanted to take me for a ride.

Thank you for all the info, will try it soon and let you know. Just waiting for MC to transfer 4U to my name.
Old 2017-08-03 , 08:28

[QUOTE=(2) The 4U in the flat should then be connected to port C on the SLNB, and the userbands set to not interfere with the other two decoders. ( Note I am not sure how to do this. Check the manual for the 4U decoder). There is a cable length restriction of 20m for reliable working but you could try it anyway.

The 4U decoder needs to be set for unicable working.[/QUOTE]

Is this steps also applicable on the T piece installation? I also read somewhere that I must not cut heartbeat before I contacted MC?

What will the steps be?
Old 2017-08-03 , 08:54
Changes remote batteries hourly

Just follow what was detailed by Geoff, there are no such considerations given with his option 1. Userbands only apply to the decoders using a Unicable connection.

The HB (heartbeat) will be fine throughout as you're not replacing anything, just adding a 3rd decoder to the existing system.

I'm not sure who may be around in the next few days, but you should manage with what's already been detailed for option 1 which you seem to have chosen.
(If you end up wanting option 2 then just make sure you don't use the same userband indexes & their frequencies anywhere.)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-08-03 at 09:32. . Reason: Added a bit more in bold
Old 2017-08-03 , 09:27
Technical Myriad

There are two ways to get the HB signal to decoders that are not installed in the same room as the Primary decoder.

(1) The traditional way.

This is to run a HB cable between the points where decoders are to be installed. The downside is the extra cabling required.

One has to then split the HB signal from the Primary decoder and feed it to each of the decoders. The exact way to do this depends on the distances between the decoders, especially the remote decoder in the flat.

The simplest way is to use a simple T - piece to split the HB signal and feed it to each of the decoders.

The next method would be to use an active splitter, especially if you want to be able to view via RF all content from all the decodes everywhere.

Ellies and Space TV make a special 3 IN, 2 OUT SLX splitter that is compatible with MCs setup for the purpose. The splitter requires power which it gets from at least the Primary decoder and provides some amplification of the signal. This is the most reliable way and the most flexible.

(2) To feed the HB signal via the LNB cabling and the SLNB.

This method was pushed by MC for a while because it simplifies the cabling.

This method depends on which decoders you have and which model SLNB. What happens is that the HB signal from the Primary decoder has to be combined with the LNB signal, which is then sent up the LNB cable connected to the Primary decoder, through the SLNB and then distributed to all decoders connected to the unicable ports on the SLNB. It does not work for decoders connected to the legacy universal ports on the SLNB.

The Explora and the 4U/4S decoders require an item called a diplexer to be installed behind each of the decoders to combine the LNB signal and the HB signal and then to split these signals from each other at the secondary decoders.
The Explora 2A has an internal diplexer built-in for this purpose, so it should not require an external diplexer, but many have found this diplexer not to work all that well, and some installers have resorted to install external diplexers anyway.

That is where the extra costs come in. Some installers also recommend using high quality triple screen cable as a result of the distance issue which is certainly the best but costs more, and is only necessary if the cable distances exceed about 20-30m.

I assume you have a relatively new antenna installed with diameter of 90-90cm?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-08-03 at 11:34. .
Old 2017-08-03 , 13:44

I added a 3rd decoder into my setup for our flat and for me, the simplest was to have all 3 configured for unicable (so connected to ports A,B and C on SLNB), Heart Beat cable connecting all 3 decoders via a T-Piece (as Geoff suggested) and configuring the user-bands so that they don't interfere with one another. Working like a charm so far. For me, the trickiest part was the user band configuration.
Tags
explora1 extraview, triple view