Forum > Decoders > Installation > Help with Installation of 3x Explora2a XV Setup
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:04
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

The cable distances are marked on the diagram, but here they are:

SLNB to Lounge Explora (Primary) 10m
SLNB to MBR Explora - 12m
SLNB to Cottage Explora - 20 to 22m

SLX Splitter will be placed in the lounge as this is the most central location

MBR to Lounge Splitter - 12m
Cottage to Lounge Splitter - 22m
Family Room to Lounge Splitter - 22 to 25m
Bedroom2 to Lounge Splitter - 15m
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:05
Changes remote batteries hourly

Geoff, this was edited in;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadil View Post
Please suggest a suitable splitter (actual model will be useful). I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. It will be as per the diagram (5 TV's). Bedroom 3 does not/will not have a TV (I only mentioned that with regards to the existing splitter in the wiring)

Fascinating stuff but I'm going to have to leave it there for now guys.
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:17

I'm understanding that I will have quite a bit of re/wiring so I'm looking to reduce the amount of rewiring. I have identified the following:

1. Can I can use the existing RF cable to Bedroom 2, by removing the old white box splitter and replacing it with a t-piece? I then connect the RF cable to the TV Link which then connects to the TV? No DC Block required here?

2. The cottage TV could be limited to it's explora only, but at the very least, I still want the family room TV to be able to watch & control all 3 exploras. The other TV's don't need to watch or control the cottage explora. Does this make any difference? Am I explaining this properly?
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:18
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Yes I became aware of this after reading up recently. The initial installation was an old DSTV decoder. The SD PVR replaced that about 10 years ago and I added the HD PVR about 4 years ago.

Please suggest a suitable splitter (actual model will be useful). I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. It will be as per the diagram (5 TV's). Bedroom 3 does not/will not have a TV (I only mentioned that with regards to the existing splitter in the wiring)

I think I can get the cottage LNB cable to just under 19m and 22m for the cottage explora to the splitter in the lounge (central point). Is the 20m cable length warning for HB or TV link or both?

Sure, I've got no problem with this. I will post my feedback as I go along, but I'll ask you some dumb questions, to start off, what is the purpose of a diplexer?

Okay will do. Yes the decoders will be connected to the TV's in that room via HDMI.
The diplexer allows remote commands and the HB signal to be combined and fed over one cable ( the LNB cable) between decoders.

The Explora 1 required external diplexers to be able to feed the HB signal via LNB cabling as well as to allow remote controls to pass between decoders.

The Explora 2A came out with an internal diplexer but it has been discovered that the coupling between the LNB port and the RF ports is not good enough to guarantee that remote commands gets through.

Some install have worked and others have not. So, it is now pretty standard for installers to still use external diplexers connected behind the Explora 2A. The Explora 1 and the HD decoders require external diplexers anyway.

The Ariel King example is one of those that can be used. Space TV has a version of their own, with DC Pass only on the satellite leg.
See picture below.

The port marked 5-860MHz is connected to the RF IN port on the Explora 2A. The port marked 950-2250 MHz is connected to the LNB port on the Explora 2A. The port marked 5-2250MHz is connected to the cable coming from the SLNB unicable port.

What it does now is feed HB commands (and remote control commands) from and to the decoders via the RF IN port to the SLNB, which is then distributed to the decoders connected to the 3 unicable ports of the SLNB (LMX501).
The Satellite signals form the LNB pass to the LNB port on the decoder and the decoder provides power to the SLNB because that port provides for power pass.

smdc1web.jpg

Three diplexers are required one behind each decoder.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-31 at 22:20. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Some questions.
(1) Are you open to alternative install suggestions?
Yes absolutely

Quote:
(2) Is it really necessary to be able to control the decoder in the cottage and to be able to allow the cottage view and control the indoor decoders?

It may be possible to restrict the cabling between the cottage and the main house decoders to only two cables using alternative components.
The cottage TV could be limited to it's explora only, but at the very least, I still want the family room TV to be able to watch & control all 3 exploras. The other TV's don't need to watch or control the cottage explora. Does this make any difference? Am I explaining this properly?

My head hurts
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:30
Technical Myriad

Quote:
I'm understanding that I will have quite a bit of re/wiring so I'm looking to reduce the amount of rewiring. I have identified the following:

1. Can I can use the existing RF cable to Bedroom 2, by removing the old white box splitter and replacing it with a t-piece? I then connect the RF cable to the TV Link which then connects to the TV? No DC Block required here?
Yes you could replace the white splitter box with a T-Piece and still feed both BR 2 and 3 with RF as well as equip both with tvLINKs to be able remote control decoders. ( so whether it is 5 or six room does not really influence anything and that cabling can stay in place.

The family room (as will any other room) will be able to control all 3 Exploras via the SLNB solution with the diplexers installed.

The RF feed to the family room should be able to work provided any splitters are also replaced with T-pieces as the family room will need a tvLINK installed.
Old 2017-05-31 , 23:05

Thanks for all the replies Geoff.

Is the 20m cable length warning for HB or TV link or both?

Quote:
Cable summary:

Lounge: 3 cables - 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
MBR: 3 cables - 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
Cottage: 3 cables 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
Family Room: 1 RF cable
BR 2: 1 RF cable
BR 3: 1 RF cable.
I know I'm probably being dorf, but I'm struggling to understand where the 2 RF cables get connected to?

I'm looking at the image of the diplexer and I don't understand. With the diplexer, does the LNB cable get connected to the decoder directly or the diplexer then to the Decoder RF Out Port?. Does the other cable then go from the diplexer to the slx? Not understanding how it works.
Old 2017-05-31 , 23:12
Technical Myriad

Quote:
2. The cottage TV could be limited to it's explora only, but at the very least, I still want the family room TV to be able to watch & control all 3 exploras. The other TV's don't need to watch or control the cottage explora. Does this make any difference? Am I explaining this properly?
You could try the following, which will not require any other devices to be purchased.

Eliminate the set back Amp as I am not sure that these things will provide any amplification in the back ward direction.

The solution depends on the coupling between the ports on the 4-way splitter.

Take the RF OUT signal from each of the decoders to a T-piece behind each decoder. Take a cable from the T-Piece to the TV set at the decoders via a DC block.

Connect the other leg of the T-piece to the existing 4 -way splitter you have in place as follows:

Connect the Primary decoder to say OUT port 1 on the splitter
Connect the Cottage decoder cable to say OUT port 2 on the splitter.
Connect the cable from BR2 and 3 to OUT port 3.
Connect the cable from the MBR decoder to OUT port 4.
Connect the Family room to the IN port on the splitter.

There may be sufficient signal strength available to adequately drive the TVs like this without needing any amplification.

(Risky, but if it works, the cable changes are minimal and the added equipment is next to nothing.)

As already suggested, change the UHF channel number on the three decoders to say chs 21, 23, 25.

I will make up a hand sketch for you and post it.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-31 at 23:23. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 23:21
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies Geoff.

Is the 20m cable length warning for HB or TV link or both?

I know I'm probably being dorf, but I'm struggling to understand where the 2 RF cables get connected to?

I'm looking at the image of the diplexer and I don't understand. With the diplexer, does the LNB cable get connected to the decoder directly or the diplexer then to the Decoder RF Out Port?. Does the other cable then go from the diplexer to the slx? Not understanding how it works.
The 20m warning is for the HB. One should be able to go much further for the RF signals and the TvLINK. (there are only 3 tvLINKs involved).

The LNB cable goes to the combined port on the diplexer. The 5-860 MHz port on the diplexer gets connected to the RF IN port on the decoder. (via a short cable). The 2250 MHz port on the diplexer gets connected to the LNB port on the decoder (via short cable).

One of the RF cables gets connected to the RF OUT port on the decoder. The second RF cable (if installed with the SLX splitter setup) goes directly to the TV RF IN port.

I will post a sketch tomorrow.
Old 2017-06-01 , 08:47

But not if using the SLNB for heartbeat (H/B) / remotes if some of the decoder-to-dish distances are too far, so please expand on that. Explora 2A is not impacted as the older decoders with external diplexers are required to create a single cable solution.