Forum > Decoders > Installation > Help with Installation of 3x Explora2a XV Setup
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:55
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadil View Post
Is the attached image the correct slx?

Yes that is one option that could be used IF diplexers are found to be a requirement for remote commands via the LNB cabling. Space TV also have one available and so does Ellies. NO, this is not an SLX splitter used for RF distribution. The diplexer only helps in some cases with remote command transmissions between decoders IF the built-in diplexer in the Explora 2A is found to not work.

I would suggest that, as you are in any case going to distribute RF, IF the remote commands do not work over the LNB cabling that you do NOT install the diplexers, but rather use the MC suggested RF distribution method for the remote commands.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-05-31 , 16:59
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Is the attached image the correct slx?
Yes that is the SLX splitter you should use for the RF distribution because it will combine the RF OUT signals from the 3 decoders, provide amplification for RF, AND provide a solid path for a HB connection if required.
Old 2017-05-31 , 17:08
Technical Myriad

Default Phase 2: The RF distribution and remote control

Phase 2: The RF distribution and remote control

As you want to be able to view all decoders at all points via RF, the two suggestions offered by MC Field Services will not work as is without some changes.

His first option provides for only two RF signals, his second option provides for 3, and you need another 3 (6 all told).

Please, it would help if you could give us more detail about the existing RF distribution and the type of splitters you have in place.

As per the diagram included by MC field services, the SLX (3x2) need to be placed somewhere central in the home with dedicated RF cabling from each decoder (RF OUT) to the splitter's RF IN ports. This cabling will NOT provide RF to the TVs located at each decoder point.

I suggest you use one of those RF OUT ports to feed the cottage on its own with an RF cable going to the TV (RF IN) in the cottage, with a DC block on this cable at the SLX3x2 splitter ( no tvLINKs required in the Cottage). The cottage thus requires 2 RF cables and one LNB cable

The second output should now feed a 1x4 SLX splitter, with a feed to the lounge TV (DC block required); a feed to the MBR TV (DC block required); a feed to the Family room (via a tvLINK eye); and the 4th feed to the BR 2 and 3 (tvLINKs eyes in each BR) via a T-piece as close to the two bedrooms as possible.

All existing splitters should be dumped. Any wall sockets (old type) in BRs 2,3, family room MUST be removed. Old type wall sockets in the Lounge, MBR and cottage may be kept as they have DC blocks built in.

All this is making assumptions about your existing RF distribution set up NO RF cabling will go to the RF IN ports on any of the decoders.

Cable summary:

Lounge: 3 cables - 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
MBR: 3 cables - 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
Cottage: 3 cables 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
Family Room: 1 RF cable
BR 2: 1 RF cable
BR 3: 1 RF cable.

Note last time you asked for advice with your existing install, we received no feedback from you or reaction to our suggestions why the tvLINKs never worked.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-31 at 17:46. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 17:16
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

AS you want to be able to view all decoders at all points via RF, the two suggestions offered by MC Field Services will not work as is without some changes.

His fist option provides for only two RF signals, his second option provides for 3, and you need another two.

Please, it would help if you could give us more detail bout the existing RF distribution and the type of splitters you have in place.

(to be continued)
Thanks for the replies (Geoff, Optimist & MCFieldServices)

I'm trying to keep up here

The existing splitters are those old very basic types - white box type. See the attached image

What information do you require about the existing RF distribution?

I'm going to take a photo of the back of the decoders so you can get an idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AS2P-300x300.jpg (17.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 2017-05-31 , 17:43
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Thanks for the replies (Geoff, Optimist & MCFieldServices)

I'm trying to keep up here

The existing splitters are those old very basic types - white box type. See the attached image

What information do you require about the existing RF distribution?

I'm going to take a photo of the back of the decoders so you can get an idea

Nope, those splitters have dc blocks in them and will not power a tvLINK.
Old 2017-05-31 , 17:57

Lounge splitter and set back amp

Not using analog aerial any longer. Will I still require the amp?
Old 2017-05-31 , 18:28
Changes remote batteries hourly

Glad to help :-)

Just a note that we tend to edit in more detail with these larger installs so do check back at old posts, currently don't miss the alterations and extra detail in post #13.
EDIT: Remember it's phase 2, so you want to first tackle phase 1 and determine results from that which may change what you use of phase 2.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-05-31 at 18:45. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 21:13
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Lounge splitter and set back amp

Not using analog aerial any longer. Will I still require the amp?

The 5-1000 Mhz splitter/combiner may be useful as it does have DC pass on all legs. I will see if it can be used to simplify the install somewhat.

The setback amp must have been used to feed the cottage with RF?
Ditto for this.

Some questions.
(1) Are you open to alternative install suggestions?
(2) Is it really necessary to be able to control the decoder in the cottage and to be able to allow the cottage view and control the indoor decoders?

It may be possible to restrict the cabling between the cottage and the main house decoders to only two cables using alternative components.
Old 2017-05-31 , 21:29

Quote:
The most likely reason why you could never get the tvLINKs setup to work would be because of an issues with the splitters not allowing DC to pass to power the tvLINKs eyes, and because of an issue with the bandpass specifications.
Yes I became aware of this after reading up recently. The initial installation was an old DSTV decoder. The SD PVR replaced that about 10 years ago and I added the HD PVR about 4 years ago.

Quote:
Distributing RF to five TVs with full control via eyes requires good DC power to be available at all tvLINKs eyes points and RF amplification to ensure signal quality is good at all points.
Please suggest a suitable splitter (actual model will be useful). I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. It will be as per the diagram (5 TV's). Bedroom 3 does not/will not have a TV (I only mentioned that with regards to the existing splitter in the wiring)

Quote:
MY suggestions is that you tackle this installation in two phases.

Phase 1: LNB cabling and decoder commissioning under XV3

Sort out the SLNB and the LNB cabling to all points where decoders will be placed.
The diagram provide by MC field services shows what userbands could be used. I would suggest that the Primary Explora 2A uses the default settings (0,1,2). You could use any other userbands for the remainder. Not sure why MC suggests skipping user band 6, but really it does not matter as long as no decoders share any userbands.

As the decoders are all Explora 2As, and the decoders are all in different rooms, I would suggest that HB distribution via the LNB cabling should give the best results.

The distance to the cottage is pushing it so it would be very interesting to see if you get the HB to work via the LNB cabling.
I think I can get the cottage LNB cable to just under 19m and 22m for the cottage explora to the splitter in the lounge (central point). Is the 20m cable length warning for HB or TV link or both?

Quote:
(yes I know we are using you and your install for a lab experiment, but it would help to increase the general pool of know how about installs if you do not mind).
Sure, I've got no problem with this. I will post my feedback as I go along, but I'll ask you some dumb questions, to start off, what is the purpose of a diplexer?

Quote:
No as a first step, you could also give us feedback after the decoders are all working and commissioned by MC (XV3) about what happens with remote control of the decoders via the front panel IR detectors.

Make sure each decoder is set to:

Respond to only one mode
Relay the other two modes
Ignore older remotes for time being.

Once installed try and control each of the decoders form each of the remote points even though you will not at this stage be able to view content remotely. We are assuming that the TVs at the decoders points will be connected to the decoders via HDMI and/or RCA.
Okay will do. Yes the decoders will be connected to the TV's in that room via HDMI.

Last edited by Aadil; 2017-05-31 at 21:32. .
Old 2017-05-31 , 22:00

Quote:

As you want to be able to view all decoders at all points via RF, the two suggestions offered by MC Field Services will not work as is without some changes.

His first option provides for only two RF signals, his second option provides for 3, and you need another 3 (6 all told).

Please, it would help if you could give us more detail about the existing RF distribution and the type of splitters you have in place.

As per the diagram included by MC field services, the SLX (3x2) need to be placed somewhere central in the home with dedicated RF cabling from each decoder (RF OUT) to the splitter's RF IN ports. This cabling will NOT provide RF to the TVs located at each decoder point.

I suggest you use one of those RF OUT ports to feed the cottage on its own with an RF cable going to the TV (RF IN) in the cottage, with a DC block on this cable at the SLX3x2 splitter ( no tvLINKs required in the Cottage). The cottage thus requires 2 RF cables and one LNB cable

The second output should now feed a 1x4 SLX splitter, with a feed to the lounge TV (DC block required); a feed to the MBR TV (DC block required); a feed to the Family room (via a tvLINK eye); and the 4th feed to the BR 2 and 3 (tvLINKs eyes in each BR) via a T-piece as close to the two bedrooms as possible.

All existing splitters should be dumped. Any wall sockets (old type) in BRs 2,3, family room MUST be removed. Old type wall sockets in the Lounge, MBR and cottage may be kept as they have DC blocks built in.

All this is making assumptions about your existing RF distribution set up NO RF cabling will go to the RF IN ports on any of the decoders.

Cable summary:

Lounge: 3 cables - 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
MBR: 3 cables - 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
Cottage: 3 cables 1 LNB cable, 2 RF cables
Family Room: 1 RF cable
BR 2: 1 RF cable
BR 3: 1 RF cable.
Am I correct in assuming diplexers eliminate the requirement to run 2 cables? Can you explain why you advise against the use of diplexers?

Also, where do the 2 rf cables (Lounge, MBR, Cottage) get connected to?

Quote:
Note last time you asked for advice with your existing install, we received no feedback from you or reaction to our suggestions why the tvLINKs never worked.
My install was done years ago. I've looked through all my forum posts. I did not ask for any assistance with TV Links.