Forum > Content > Sport > Giro d'Italia and Other Cycling Coverage
Old 2017-05-30 , 15:21
Knows how to use a remote

Cool Giro d'Italia and Other Cycling Coverage

Thanks for the excellent Giro d'Italia coverage which concluded on Sunday. It was one of the best cycling races I've seen, made all the better by the fact that instead of just the last two hours of each stage we got 4+ hours each day, which made all the difference given the excitement of the stages with plenty of early climbs and interesting racing throughout.

One stage that stands out was where Movistar attacked on a descent early in a day which was supposed to be straightforward, splitting the peloton and leaving Dumoulin (who was leading the race at that point, ahead of their rider Quintana) in the rear group. A flat out chase ensued, with 4 teams chasing and 4 trying to build the lead, with the fate of the whole race in the balance. Would have been a real shame to only cross over once that had all been resolved. Hopefully we get extended coverage of the TDF too.

I also see the Critérium du Dauphiné will be covered from June 4, which is great as it's a very scenic and interesting week-long race in France which provides a good insight into the form of the TDF contenders.

So thanks again for the excellent cycling coverage.
Old 2017-06-05 , 15:39

Well, further to the above post, I'm enjoying the coverage of the Dauphine, just a pity about the technical problems! Yesterday, the background sounds were so loud we couldn't really hear the commentator, thankfully it came right after about 30 mins.

Today, there is a really strange and rather amusing problem. I'm watching it slightly delayed so only about 10 minutes in so far, but instead of the English commentator we've got what sounds like the French commentators warming up for their stint, practising names and occasionally chatting about stuff! "Luke... Raw... Rough... ah, Rowe"

Ah well, better than nothing. I realise that the fault is probably in the international feed as a whole and not on your side.. but if you have any channels to feedback to the provider it might be worth having a word!
Old 2017-06-07 , 07:51

RyanDavid, absolutely right man, the Giro was very competitive this year and that exciting finish with the individual time trial, Quintana was really outmatched there. So far, the Dauphine is going OK, but the volume of the commentating are something for the host broadcaster to improve. I'm also looking forward to the TDF this year.
Old 2017-06-11 , 20:54

What a final stage of the Dauphine, so many attacks and the result up in the air right to the last moment, with the leading contenders scattered across the final climb. Porte lost to Fuglsang by the 10 secs bonus for winning the stage, Froome missed out on the podium by one second. Would have loved to see more of the stage, but 2 hours is better than nothing.

Strange that we suddenly had a 'Dutch' commentator (speaking English) over the weekend. The sound mixing was appalling again on Saturday, with the background sound completely drowning him out, thankfully it was ok today!
Old 2017-06-12 , 16:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavid View Post
Strange that we suddenly had a 'Dutch' commentator (speaking English) over the weekend. The sound mixing was appalling again on Saturday, with the background sound completely drowning him out, thankfully it was ok today!
Missed Daniel Lloyd and company in this race. They really do make it entertaining, especially towards the end of the stages...I'm waiting for someone to have an aneurysm they get so worked up!

But it's great to have such blanket coverage of the Grand Tours and the lead up events. And there's been some fantastic racing so far this year, here's hoping Le Tour is just as good!!
Old 2017-07-28 , 11:42

Meant to comment on the excellent TDF coverage, thanks Supersport. Amazing to have every minute of every stage, when I think back to the short highlight packages we used to get. Not too many sound problems either, compared to the races earlier in the year!

I've seen a couple of comments online from people wishing we had one of the other commentary teams on our feed. I don't think this was up to SS really, as Phil and Paul were doing the US/Canada feed and Carlton Kirby the Eurosport feed. We got the Aussies, but I enjoyed Robbie McEwen's anecdotes and insight from his time on the tour. They also made a point of mentioning the African/DD riders too so I have no complaints - perhaps one day it'll be like rugby with multiple audio tracks, so people can choose the Euro feed if they want.
Old 2017-08-22 , 13:30

Good to see the Vuelta on at the moment, nice coverage yesterday apart from sound balance problems in the early parts once again.

Had to chuckle when I just saw the 2min summary on Blitz, the voiceover said "8 lightning quick sprinters competed for the stage win", while we watched Nibali, Froome and the other climbers/GC guys who made up the first group cross the line. I'm sure they mean well, but I bet there are plenty of people at SS who watch a bit of cycling and could write something more appropriate!
Old 2017-08-24 , 10:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Must admit that so far I'm less than impressed with the Vuelta coverage. Not only did we miss out on most of the weekends racing (after the wall to wall coverage both the Giro and Le Tour had, only getting effectively the last hour of the stages was very disappointing, especially since we missed out on watching Dimension Data in the Team Time Trial), the camerawork and production has been appalling! Long shots of empty roads, shots of the road (and nothing else)...simply not up to scratch when compared to the excellent work done by the other host broadcaasters.

I get that this is not something in Supersport's control, but yeesh...if they could throw a word in the direction of the UCI/ASO then it'd be great!
Old 2017-08-24 , 10:39

Yes I spoke a bit too soon as that day we had coverage of the full stage, but since then we've only had the last two hours - as you say, quite a comedown after the excellent coverage of the Giro and Tour. And it's not even a proper "two hour" package with a bit of an intro into what we've missed earlier, we just cross to a stream that has already been underway. I think in Europe the Eurosport coverage has been starting an hour before ours does, so it looks like 3 hours have been available and SS just crosses for the last two.

A bit disappointing.
Old 2017-08-24 , 11:14
SuperSport

We only get the last two hours of the race. This is all the rights holder is allowing us access to.