Forum > Decoders > Installation > Explora + Explora Xtraview + Smart LNB
Old 2017-01-26 , 14:27
Still listens to the wireless

Default Explora + Explora Xtraview + Smart LNB

Hi,

I would like to install an explora as the primary decoder & a 2nd explora as the secondary decoder in xtraview. What is the correct way and steps i should take to ensure that i install it correctly. Also there is a 3rd tv that i would like to connect so that i can receive the signal from preferably the primary decoder or both decoders with a eye link. Could you please point me in the right direction or give me a diagram of how i need to run the cables.

Thanks.
Old 2017-01-26 , 15:46
Technical Myriad

Welcome to the forum. It all depends on what the current install looks like and where you want to install the decoders.

The "best" way would be to install a SLNB in a 80-90 cm antenna, which will allow for 3 decoders to be combined under one subscription, all with independent viewing capability. The proviso for this method is the decoders must all be Exploras or HD decoders, or a combination of the above with at least one Explora in the mix.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-01-26 at 17:06. .
Old 2017-01-26 , 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Welcome to the forum. It all depends on what the current install looks like and where you want to install the decoders.

The "best" way would be to install a SLNB in a 80-90 cm antenna, which will allow for 3 decoders to be combined under one subscription, all with independent viewing capability. The proviso for this method is the decoders must all be Exploras ore HD decoders, or a combination of the above with at least one Explora in the mix.
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the welcome & for the reply.

Currently i am running a sd dual view pvr and would like to change to 2 x explora's. I have read that i can install the exploras and link it to the 3rd tv in the kids room without an additional decoder i prefer this option if possible in the kids room with a link eye. Is this connection possible? I dont mind the fact that both tv's will be showing the same picture.
Old 2017-01-26 , 16:57
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Certainly possible. If the Exploras are new purchases ensure to get the slnb too as then you don't need to worry about heartbeat cables. Just make sure the distance from dish to each decoder is no more than 20m.

Cheers!
Old 2017-01-26 , 17:12
Technical Myriad

Yes that is possible. The new Explora 2A, combined with a SLNB allows for the decoders to be placed in different rooms and does eliminate the need for a HB cable. For the third TV, one still needs to run RF cabling between the decoder/s and the third room. IF you want to be able to view both Exploras, THEN you will need to make use of a SLX type splitter combiner to combine the RF signals from both before distributing to the remote room. Not needed when only one decoder is extended to the third room. The TV link eyes work with the new decoders.

There are some other ways, but are only relevant if the remote TV is a new one with HDMI inputs.
Old 2017-01-27 , 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
Certainly possible. If the Exploras are new purchases ensure to get the slnb too as then you don't need to worry about heartbeat cables. Just make sure the distance from dish to each decoder is no more than 20m.

Cheers!
Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info, what happens if the cable exceeds 20m? Im not sure but it might be just over 20m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yes that is possible. The new Explora 2A, combined with a SLNB allows for the decoders to be placed in different rooms and does eliminate the need for a HB cable. For the third TV, one still needs to run RF cabling between the decoder/s and the third room. IF you want to be able to view both Exploras, THEN you will need to make use of a SLX type splitter combiner to combine the RF signals from both before distributing to the remote room. Not needed when only one decoder is extended to the third room. The TV link eyes work with the new decoders.

There are some other ways, but are only relevant if the remote TV is a new one with HDMI inputs.
Thanks Geoff,

When you say SLX splitter are you refering to a powered splitter? Also im not sure about the cabling diagram is there a diagram i can refer to for the setup i want to do.

Thanks for the help you guys a awesome!
Old 2017-01-27 , 11:51
Technical Myriad

There are no standard wiring diagrams available from MC. You can look at various sites to see what is available. It is possible to create one, but then it is better if you provide details for the decoders you have and want to use, the LNB type you have or want to use before making a diagram.

The SLX splitter (Triax) is powered by the decoders or a separate PSU.

The Explora requires ab external diplexer before you can eliminate the HB cable.
The Explora 2A has the diplexer in-built.
The question I have is why bother eliminating the HB cable if you need to run RF cabling between the decoders anyway for RF distribution. Hence why the type of TV you are using at the remote point becomes important.

The config issues on decoders is now much simpler than it was for using tvLINK eyes.