Forum > Decoders > Installation > Explora and 2 Tune HD PVR Xtraview
Old 2015-02-19 , 13:33
Still listens to the wireless

Default Explora and 2 Tune HD PVR Xtraview

Good day,

I am new to the forum and would like to know if someone can provide some guidance as to how to go about connecting a twin LNB HD PVR and an Explora up in an Xtraview setup. The decoders will both be in the lounge. I currently have a single LNB running between the lounge and the bedroom.The Explora will be used for the lounge TV and the other PVR for the bedroom TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2015-02-19 , 19:47
Changes remote batteries hourly

Welcome, our forum expert has been tied up with conferences but hopes to get to you by tomorrow morning.
Old 2015-02-20 , 02:22
Knows how to use a remote

First thing is you need to upgrade to atleast a twin lnb. Best to get an installer to set it up.
After that it's just a matter of cables especially if each decoder is gonna be connected to a separate TV. Gonna need 2 cables from lnb to multiswitch that comes with decoder then run the legacy cables from that to second decoder and a heartbeat cable from primary to secondary decoder.
Should sort you out.
If tvlink setup will have to differ to to Geoff.
I only know as far as straight link, though not sure about signal quality if you running the 2nd TV from lounge rather than having the second decoder in the bedroom.

Last edited by shintorojin; 2015-02-20 at 02:53. . Reason: Update
Old 2015-02-20 , 06:20
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shintorojin View Post
First thing is you need to upgrade to atleast a twin lnb. Best to get an installer to set it up.
After that it's just a matter of cables especially if each decoder is gonna be connected to a separate TV. Gonna need 2 cables from lnb to multiswitch that comes with decoder then run the legacy cables from that to second decoder and a heartbeat cable from primary to secondary decoder.
Should sort you out.
If tvlink setup will have to differ to to Geoff.
I only know as far as straight link, though not sure about signal quality if you running the 2nd TV from lounge rather than having the second decoder in the bedroom.
Please note the MC from mid last year have changed the requirement to a quad LNB due to the changes coming in late 2016/early 2017 from a twin LNB.
Old 2015-02-20 , 11:42

Thanks for all the replies. I spoke to an installer this morning worried that I might just be getting in over my head. It does seem like a bit of a money making racket....being charged R300 to come and assess the current system and be given a quote. After that has been spent, I need to fork out more money for the actual installation?? Does one require a new dish etc.? These are the things that were mentioned.
Old 2015-02-20 , 12:33
Changes remote batteries hourly

It may be best to first see if you can manage to do what's required yourself as you do seem confident in your ability and many have done so with this forum's help before. The person I referred to, Geoff D, would get to you soon enough.
But if going for it first try to provide more detail;
  • Is your dish 60 cm or 80 / 90 cm (recommended)?
  • Will you maybe ever want to watch both decoders on both TVs?
  • For the bedroom TV, are you planning to use a TV Link for your remote control access or buy a Remote Blaster to do it wirelessly? (Ellies Wizard recommended.)
  • Do you have any conduit space etc. restrictions when it comes to putting cables between the rooms and bringing in the LNB feeds?
  • Anything else you think may assist in understand your needs, the more detail the better.
I won't be assisting further, enjoy either way
Old 2015-02-20 , 12:55

Optimist, I will try and provide as much detail as I can:

Main TV situated in Lounge along with Explora and HD PVR.
Twin LNB's from dish. (80cm)
One co-ax cable to bedroom

The main plan is to just be able to watch sport on the main TV and wife can watch something else in the bedroom. I would like to be able to change the channels from the bedroom side as well. We don't require watching both decoders on both TV's.

I basically want to watch two different channels in two different spaces. There should be sufficient space in the conduit currently feeding through to the bedroom for another cable should that be required. It would be easier to just keep the decoders in the same place.

I hope this provides some clarity as to what my needs are.
Old 2015-02-20 , 16:34
Technical Myriad

Okay I see my name has been mentioned in previous posts. ( I am not a some of wizard though), can only offer suggestions as to what you want to achieve.

In the short term you can leave the antenna and the TWIN LNB as is, provided the existing signal levels on the HD PVR are okay. I am assuming that this is your current install?

Set a recording on the HD PVR 2P ( is this correct?) and then check the signal and quality levels on both tuners. Must be >80% signal and >95% on quality).

Then the connections will be to connect the LNB cables to the Explora switch inputs 1 and 2, and the 2P to output 1,2 on the switch.

The Explora is best connected port A on the switch.

Then check the signal levels again on the 2P and the Explora after the decoders have rebooted.

Next what you need to do is sort out the HB cable.

You have indicated that you want to be able control only the 2P from the BR via a TVLINK?

If so, then the way to connect the HB is RF OUT on the Explora to RF IN on the 2P and RF OUT to the BR via a TVLINK.

This configs will allow ONLY the 2P to be controlled from the BR.

The configs on the decoders should then be sorted out to ensure the TVLINK receives power, and the 2P is set to respond to either TV 1 or TV2 as you wish.

The Explora should be set to respond only to Explora remotes.

Makers sure at least one of the decoders, gets changed to use a different UHF channel number. The default is 63 so one of them has to be changed. Select ch numbers in the lower 20's for best results, say 23 and 25.

Tune two different channel on the BR for each decoder. makes sure the decoders and the TVs are set for PAL I

IF you want t o also control the Explora from the BR, we will have to go for a different setup. So let me know if you want this option explained.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2015-02-20 , 16:38

GeoffD, you are a bsicuit. It sounds very similar to how I hooked them up initially. I am having a bit of an issue of the Explora reacting twice to a single remote command when both decoders are switched on. I will however fiddle with settings over the weekend and let you know how it went. You have described what I need in perfect detail and hopefully this will work.

Thanks!!
Old 2015-02-20 , 16:43
Technical Myriad

Okay what you need to make sure of when decoders are in the same room, is that commands are NOT relayed between the decoders. On the 2P it means setting relay commands = OFF, OR making sure the decoder is set to respond only to mode 1 or 2.

The other mode should be set to ignore.

On the Explora make sure the opposite mode is chosen to the that for the 2P. ( a safety measure).

Then make sure the Explora is set to ignore the legacy remotes, and that only one of the modes is active. the other two should be set to ignore.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15