Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > General > General > Dish ROA cancellation Vs DSTV sub increases

Old 2011-01-10 , 10:57
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Dish ROA cancellation Vs DSTV sub increases

I think this is going to be the most abhorrent move in the history of the monopoly of MC. Why not compensate the insatiable appetite of these yearly increments by channeling the already recovered costs from your discontinued printing of the magazine??

silent witness
Old 2011-01-10 , 11:20
MultiChoice

@Thulani - I have passed your comment on to our team in Africa.

There is a move to get away from printed guides - aside from the expense and environmental wastage, they also tend to date quickly, often providing inaccurate information if there has been schedule changes. The onscreen TV guide is the most up-to-date guide.

Although we have been encouraging subscribers in South Africa to discontinue their printed Dish magazines, it certainly hasn't been cancelled entirely. We still carry significant costs of producing and printing these on a monthly basis, which is distributed to literally millions of subscribers.
Old 2011-01-10 , 11:32
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulani View Post
I think this is going to be the most abhorrent move in the history of the monopoly of MC. Why not compensate the insatiable appetite of these yearly increments by channeling the already recovered costs from your discontinued printing of the magazine??
Weldone Tulani, this one of the most important posts I have seen in months. When people are worrying about what the colour of the M-NET logo looks like, they should be more concerned about the evironmental impact all those millions of pointless magazines are having on our environment. (And there wallet!)

Please MC, stop publishinga a pointless magazine that has a carbon footprint the size of a samll country.
Old 2011-01-10 , 11:42

Im not sure about the ROA web interface for the care.dstv.com page but you can simply log in and under "my Profile" state that you do not want to receive the Dish Magazine.

The more people who do it that faster MC will be able to phase out or at least dramatically reduce the amount of mags that are published, I can assure you that there are plenty of people out there who want a magazine every month though.
Old 2011-01-10 , 11:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEEYEBOY View Post
Weldone Tulani, this one of the most important posts I have seen in months. When people are worrying about what the colour of the M-NET logo looks like, they should be more concerned about the evironmental impact all those millions of pointless magazines are having on our environment. (And there wallet!)

Please MC, stop publishinga a pointless magazine that has a carbon footprint the size of a samll country.
Thanks for the acknowledgement. My born of contention is MC cannot have their cake and eat it the same time…… Please... either they discontinue the magazine and no more increases. Or they give us back the dish and they continue abusing our pockets.

silent witness

Last edited by Tulani; 2011-01-10 at 11:56. .
Old 2011-01-10 , 12:17
Technical Myriad

Problems I see with this issue:

(1) MC cannot do away with a paper guide until there is a reliable alternative.
(2) Not everyone has Internet Access of sufficient quality and reliability to rely fully on an electronic guide
(3) The electronic guide still does not reliably and consistently provide for a 30-day schedule
(4) The on line guide struggles to maintain even the promised 8-day guide
(5) I have tried mnay times to cancel my mag subscription --- just does not work --- you can tick/ untick the relevant block as much as you want ----- it still continues to arrive
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2011-01-10 , 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Problems I see with this issue:

(1) MC cannot do away with a paper guide until there is a reliable alternative.
(2) Not everyone has Internet Access of sufficient quality and reliability to rely fully on an electronic guide
(3) The electronic guide still does not reliably and consistently provide for a 30-day schedule
(4) The on line guide struggles to maintain even the promised 8-day guide
(5) I have tried mnay times to cancel my mag subscription --- just does not work --- you can tick/ untick the relevant block as much as you want ----- it still continues to arrive
as a member in ROA I can reliably inform you that the dish magazine has been discontinued with the last issue being that of DEC 2010. thats why I am now blowing hot gas over money concerns now

silent witness
Old 2011-01-10 , 12:49
Technical Myriad

So what this means is those that probably need the paper guide the most are already sitting without it?

Then the debate is academic at best?

For my part, our household will not even notice the dissapearance of the SA Dish paper guide --- no one looks at it at all anymore
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2011-01-10 , 20:06
Changes remote batteries hourly.

I recall a discussion last year, where it was stated the advertising pays for the Dish Mag. I am not sure if was the case for ROA. Maybe the SA version is still covered by the adverts?

G
Old 2011-01-10 , 20:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I recall a discussion last year, where it was stated the advertising pays for the Dish Mag. I am not sure if was the case for ROA. Maybe the SA version is still covered by the adverts?

G
If it would mean less adverts, I'm all for it then.

But jokes aside, the ROA change is very surprising - how can there be no reasonable alternative on offer, that's bizarre, and for quite a few African channels such as e-TV Africa there is nothing at all available for them (granted, that part is not MCA's doing).

Generally though it really does look like a case of carelessness or "who cares, not my problem", or if it's a matter of economics such as lack of advertising, this is definitely not a logical option for cutting costs.