Forum > Decoders > Installation > some frequencies not working all the time
Old 2017-10-16 , 10:17
Technical Myriad

I will reply soon. I have to load the program on my PC to do the calcs for you.

In the meantime, let us assume few things and clarify a few others.

(1) The dish size is not critical to get to the point where all channels could be received. The larger antenna will only improve performance especially in bad weather conditions.
(2) The decoder you have is we assume an Explora model 1. Optimist should be able to post what you will see on the information screen where one can see which type of decoder it is.
(3) This particular Explora should work fine with a SATCR LNB, except possibly for the channels that are now on the few hi-band transponders. BUT setting the decoder for SATCR standard as apposed to SATCR universal should give you the best chance of getting it to work.
(4) One cannot unfortunately only optimize the for one tuner. These new decoders require ALL the tuners to work properly.
(5) Let us assume the older antenna is aligned properly until proved otherwise.
(6) The only adjustment you should do is to the skew angle. The "depth that the LNB is in the support bracket does not make much difference so I suggest you place the SATCR LNB in the same position as the previous one for a start.
(7) Set the skew angles closely as you can to the calculated value and see what you get on all tuners. Tune to a know vertical channel and hor channel for live TV . Set a recording as well on both and record the values for all 3 tuners each time. Optimist will suggest which channels to use.
(8) Then we can take it from there.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-10-16 at 10:49. .
Old 2017-10-16 , 10:42
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
(2) The decoder you have is we assume an Explora model 1. Optimist should b able to post what you will see on the information screen where one can see which type of decoder it is.
The first line does refer to "Model 25" so definitely an Explora. The front left of the decoder is also clearly labelled "DStv Explora".

Quote:
(3) ...BUT setting the decoder for SATCR standard as apposed to SATCR universal should give you the best chance of getting it to work.
Unfortunately there's definitely no setting for those kind of adjustments on any Exploras.

Quote:
(7) Set the skew angles closely as you can to the calculated value and see what you get on all tuners. Tune to a know vertical channel and hor channel for live TV . Set a recording as well on both and record the values for all 3 tuners each time. Optimist will suggest which channels to use.
Tune to (for tuner 1) and also test-record (for tuner 2) channels 262 & 405.
These channels should give near highest results.

One other issue I think needs further response - initially the old dish (the one now in use) was said to have a 25 metre cable distance, now 40 metres was mentioned...
And we still don't know how old that cable is. If older than 5 years (sounds likely) and a whole 40 metres long I would think that is a concern.
Old 2017-10-17 , 09:33
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Amethystin please can you private message me your number to call you