Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Threads "Closed" - Part 2

Old 2010-09-20 , 09:56
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Threads "Closed" - Part 2

Marietjie,

I do understand that threads will be closed after some time, but it seems a bit ridiculous at the moment. Threads are being closed hours after it has been opened. It seems in some cases that MC can see a "difficult" question coming, and then the thread gets closed. Not saying this is the case, it's just looking that way.

The prevoius thread about closed threads as an example. ( http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=8816 )

The Sci-Fi thread/poll was opened again.... and closed again....
http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=5618

The "Next Decoder" thread ( http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=8927 ) was opend and closed in about 3-4 hours...? MC Riaan mentioned he will try and get some face time with C4, but the thread was closed.

Can the threads please just stay open a bit longer?

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (4:3 Pillar Box)
Audio Output: Variable
Sony V Series TV with 4x HDMI Inputs
Old 2010-09-20 , 09:58
MultiChoice

@WernerB,

I am not closing threads within a few hours of them opening. If an issue has been answered and addressed by us, then we will close the thread. I'll try to leave the other threads open for a bit longer BUT when the discussion veers off the topic of the thread, I will close it.
Old 2010-09-20 , 10:05

Marietjie,

I don't think it's fair to the ppl who stick to the thread, if the thread gets closed because it veers of topic.....

Can't you rather delete the post that's of topic..... or are we now opening a whole new can of worms.....?
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (4:3 Pillar Box)
Audio Output: Variable
Sony V Series TV with 4x HDMI Inputs
Old 2010-09-20 , 10:07
MultiChoice

A whole new can of worms indeed. Unless someone is transgressing our Terms and Conditions, we do not delete posts. So we really need to close threads in order to manage the Forum actively.
Old 2010-09-20 , 12:56
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

I have to agree with Werner, its just creating more & more threads on the same topics. Users are not getting a chance for follow up questions

If I was to make an off topic post here would this thread be closed forcing Werner to open another one?
Old 2010-09-20 , 13:50
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
@WernerB,

I am not closing threads within a few hours of them opening. If an issue has been answered and addressed by us, then we will close the thread. I'll try to leave the other threads open for a bit longer BUT when the discussion veers off the topic of the thread, I will close it.
But... What if you addressed the issue, but it is not the answer the person wanted. Is the thread closed so he does not continue the discussion?

Personally I think there should be a time limit before the thread can be closed... If it is inactive for a certain time it is closed?
Old 2010-09-20 , 13:54
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
But... What if you addressed the issue, but it is not the answer the person wanted. Is the thread closed so he does not continue the discussion?

Personally I think there should be a time limit before the thread can be closed... If it is inactive for a certain time it is closed?
The answers we provide might not always carry the approval of the person who asked the question but they are our official company position on any given matter. Should we change the answer if you do not like it?

Let me reiterate, this Forum is for us to engage with our subscribers, to pick up issues and address questions. Therefore, it is our right to manage this Forum as we best see fit.

In terms of time limit, threads that have been inactive for more than a week are closed.
Old 2010-09-20 , 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
The answers we provide might not always carry the approval of the person who asked the question but they are our official company position on any given matter. Should we change the answer if you do not like it?

Let me reiterate, this Forum is for us to engage with our subscribers, to pick up issues and address questions. Therefore, it is our right to manage this Forum as we best see fit.

In terms of time limit, threads that have been inactive for more than a week are closed.
Sometimes MC moderators supply answers that does not actually answer the question or help the person. That does not mean the thread should be closed after a Moderator answered.

Some topics is debateble. MC might have an answer, but that does not mean the person is happy with it. Leave the topic open so people can talk about it, debate, share opinions and views. Isnt that what a forum is about, hearing what other people have to say about a certain topic?
Old 2010-09-20 , 14:11

Also threads like the movie requests must not be closed, they can be used multiple times by anyone that would like to request a movie.... Now instead of just posting a request on the topic, they must create a new topic, making more topics on the forum with the same content
Old 2010-09-20 , 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Also threads like the movie requests must not be closed, they can be used multiple times by anyone that would like to request a movie.... Now instead of just posting a request on the topic, they must create a new topic, making more topics on the forum with the same content
Have you ever seen a movie requested that they never thought about?