Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > EPG error or the new software
Old 2017-05-16 , 14:12
MultiChoice

Yes we agree with your assessment, hence why the software team are looking into it. We're not getting scheduling to compensate for it - we're making sure scheduling is accurate (as it should always be) and is not changed last minute. We know this will not address the entire problem, but it is good to get it fixed in any way and ensure M-Net has the right processes in place. That does not stop the software investigating and trouble-shooting.
Old 2017-05-16 , 14:15
Changes remote batteries daily

Noted.... thanks.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-05-16 , 15:41
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
Thanks MoM - I will leave it at that but my view remains that a new bug was recently introduced on the Explora and now changes to the EPG and scheduling is being introduced to compensate for the bug..... This was also reflected in another post where someone was away for 3 weeks and all his recordings worked until he got home and upgraded his software - after which he started experiencing these conflicts.
@Krugie It actually is this thread. I fully agree the software introduced a new bug
@Marietjie I have been living with the Explora 2A for 4 months after I made the change due to the continued unsolved problems with rebooting on the Pace HD PVR 2P.

In this time more than 90% of my scheduled recordings were series based back to back recordings. The only serious failings were where Mnet pushed extra advertising into the "My Kitchen Rules" primetime timeslot resulting in extending the airing by between 9 and 12 minutes and forgot or failed to amend the EPG.

What we are told now is that since the software update broke that was not broken before we will now not be able to do back to back recordings as that will cause recording conflicts.

Being a pensioner mean that we are able to be away from home when ever we choose. To switch from SBR to TBR is not an option.

We really have enjoyed the Explora sofar but it look like our honeymoon is over and our frustrations are about to start all over again.
Old 2017-05-16 , 16:17
MultiChoice

Rest assured that the teams are working on fixing it so you can do back-to-back recordings on the Explora and have a hassle-free experience. I just saw an email that they've identified the issue and it is indeed related to the EPG with a mix of the software. We're hoping for a resolution soon.
Old 2017-05-16 , 18:09
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Thanks for the feedback Marietjie
Old 2017-05-17 , 09:04
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
@JanHorn - there is a conflict at 20:30 between Chicago Fire and OD and at 22:30. Remember that 1 minute on the 30 is an overlap and therefore causes the conflict.

This is what we discussed with M-Net last week - even just a 1 second overlap is seen as a conflict by the decoder software. They're supposed to do only to 29 minutes past the hour and then starting at 30 again.
Quote:
If a show ends at 20:30 and the next one begins at 20:30, there is an overlap of one minute at 20:30.
Quote:
I agree this will most likely solve the problem but ever since day 1 the Explora worked fined if one program ends 20H30 and the other starts 20:30 - this has never caused a conflict.
Quote:
This has never been the case - programs have always been scheduled like this. It is exactly these 1-minute changes that are causing conflicts - not resolving them.
Quote:
@Krugie - this is about how it is scheduled in the background and what the software sees.
I actually wrote a similar question in the Technical thread regarding this, but for some reason it was not posted.

As I interpret this: This 1 minute overlap that is now being blamed for all the problems is obviously a behind the scences thing that the machine implements and does not require action from the user. Scheduling and setting of recordings does not reflect the 1 minute: scheduling reflects programes as starting on the hour or half hour (ignoring the EPG stuff ups) directly after each other and recordings are set using EPG or series record - no adjustments are made by the user to account for the 1 minute.

So, as I understand, the machine for some reason no longer takes the 1 minute into account (however, this does not seem to happen consistently either) when recording, so programmes that are recorded back to back, now seem to overlap, and are failed due to a conflict.

Basically, the machine cannot be relied upon to identfy a conflict correctly, so currently I'm setting MR for anything that is close to back to back.
Old 2017-05-22 , 09:22
Changes remote batteries hourly

A possible reason for the back-to-back failures since discovered;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Another issue this weekend - programs starting within the previous minute to what the decoder understands as being the correct time (not just M-Net). Seem related to the trick mode changes, I've noticed that now there's a few seconds left over that can't be viewed at the very end of some CU titles...
I've also been pleased to see that MC have added what strongly appears to be a test channel for the problem - 470 "Recess" (a lesser know dictionary definition of the word is that it's something hidden from view )
It's E16 but I've seen older copies of Twin Peaks scheduled on it without in-between breaks.
Old 2017-05-22 , 11:32
MultiChoice

@Optimist - this is a test channel that we're using to pinpoint the EPG/recording and software issues. So you will see a number of things scheduled on it from time-to-time as the teams test out recordings across various decoder models.
Old 2017-05-22 , 12:42
Technical Myriad

Was not a very stable weekend. Had a number of "reboots" on both decoders.

But then I checked the power log and found that what I thought were "reboots" were not but were events that downloaded new versions of the EPG info.

What had me fooled was on the SD PVR, only a reboot would change the playlist sort order back to defaults. These EPG updates did the same.

Two of the EPG updates terminated recordings that were in progress, with no corresponding entry in the alert list or even warning triangles against the recordings indicating that the recording had been stopped??

Is this possible?

One recording on the UEC was similarly stopped without any indication as to why or appearing in the alert list.

Could the same have happened on the Exploras?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-05-22 , 12:49
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Could the same have happened on the Exploras?
I had no failures but I record very little over weekends.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.