Forum > Content > General > Why is the display so bad?
Old 2017-05-13 , 11:54
Still gets up to change channels

Default Why is the display so bad?

I'm using a 4K TV and 1st generation Explora PVR and the graphics aren't great. I'm sure I'm getting better quality when I stream.

It is especially noticeable with digits and wording.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Old 2017-05-13 , 13:05
Knows how to use a remote

I'm sure you'll get a proper answer from the experts around here, but thought I'd mention that I saw this once on a friend's tv. Turned out to be a strange error with the aspect ratios, where the decoder was 'stretching' the 16:9 picture to output a 4:3 signal (like for an old tv), then the tv was stretching it back on its side to fit the 16:9 screen. We played around with the aspect ratio modes on the tv and decoder and the problem disappeared.
Old 2017-05-13 , 13:16

Thx Ryan.
Will look around my settings.
Appreciate the feedback.

Old 2017-05-14 , 11:30
Changes remote batteries daily

Are you using an HDMI cable between the Explora and the TV? That is the only way to get HD quality.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-05-14 , 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
Are you using an HDMI cable between the Explora and the TV? That is the only way to get HD quality.
Yes I am, Krugie.

Old 2017-05-14 , 12:32
4K, baby!

Hi Hectic, I was going to ask the same question as Krugie, as the picture looks like a composite video input. Not at all like HD.

So here are a couple of tips and questions...

Firstly, have you ever had a decent picture with this setup? Or is this a new TV being used with the Explora-1 for the first time?

OK, so if you have alternative input cables from the Explora to the TV (i.e. Composite video plus stereo audio -- Yellow, red and white RCA plugs and/or Coax -- i.e. Modulated RF), please just remove them for elimination purposes in case a non-HDMI input is being selected on the TV by mistake. I suggest this as I've never seen this type of picture distortion on a digital input. Digital problems usually cause pixellation or signal dropping totally or intermittently. Analogue inputs give the type of signal distortion seen in your picture. So just leave the HDMI cable into the TV and confirm the problem still exists.

Have you tried another device producing an HD output (preferably Blu-Ray player, or even a DVD player) on the same TV HDMI input to see if the picture is as bad as you are observing from the Explora-1? If not please do so and report back. It's possible the TV is faulty and trying another device will eliminate this possibility , or prove it.

Try the above with the same and different HDMI cables; though I don't believe this is the problem.

Also try alternative inputs on the TV both with the Explora and with the Blu-Ray player and let us know what you observe.

Please try all the above and let us know your findings.

Cheers, K

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2017-05-14 at 12:53. .
Old 2017-05-14 , 12:34

OK... those images are definitely not in HD but you are receiving the HD feed as can be seen by looking at the logo. Check the aspect ratios on the decoder as well as the TV - make sure the TV is set to 16:9 and not Auto and the decoder is set to Pillarbox and the decoder output to 1080i and TV Type to Pal I.

On the TV, make sure you selected the source as one of the HDMI channels (whichever one your Explora HDMI cable is plugged into) and that the Source is not set to TV, AV or Component.

Are you running any other cables from the Explora to the TV or only the HDMI cable?

EDIT: And are you using an AMP or is the HDMI cable going directly from the Explora to the TV?
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2017-05-14 at 12:41. .
Old 2017-05-14 , 17:15

I must thank you guys.
For some reason the HDMi cable was disconnected on the decoder. Only PS4 & PS3 was connected via HDMi , so you guys were correct. I was watching via TV receiver/ coaxial cables.

It is now working 100%.
Thanks for the help guys.

Old 2017-05-14 , 17:32

Pleasure - glad it is sorted - enjoy your HD viewing!
Old 2017-05-14 , 17:35
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticZA View Post
...... so you guys were correct. I was watching via TV receiver/ coaxial cables.
It is now working 100%.
Thanks for the help guys.
Pleasure! Enjoy your HD viewing, Hectic!
Cheers, K.