Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > 2 tuner HD PVR decoder with fibre irs GTU
Old 2017-05-11 , 09:50
Still listens to the wireless

Default 2 tuner HD PVR decoder with fibre irs GTU

Morning

Can someone please assist,
My RF signal is converted from fibre, I'm using the Fibre irs quad GTU.

I have connected all 4 RX outputs from GTU to the new dstv switch 24-1Z and then connected the unicable A (satCr) to my decoder on the satcr input.

The problem is the unit switches on and off the hole time.
Tv screen is showing the'"Please wait while the decoder tries to determine in which satellite footprint it resides" error.

Dstv switch blue light led is on.
DC and RF led is on on the GTu unit.

I have also removed the dstv switch 24-1z and used two outputs from the GTU unit 1 & 2 and then 1 & 4 and connected the two frequency to the lnb inputs on the decoder but still no luck.

I also have the explora and the decoder is working fine with the dstv switch and GTU unit. I cant use the explora as yet due to waiting for the change of ownership to take place.
Old 2017-05-11 , 09:59
Changes remote batteries hourly

Welcome to posting Willie :-)

Firstly, best not to call satellite signals "RF". They are, but that terminology is usually reserved for terrestrial VHF / UHF services here. Rather call it LNB feeds.

It sounds like you may be having a user bands clash, that would happen if the Explora is already connected and switched on?
Once answered, we can see what to discuss or advise further.
Old 2017-05-11 , 10:05

Hi Optimist, thx for the welkom.

Apologizes for the terminology I use.
The explora was only used for testing the signal.
I first connected the explora to the dstv switch which is connected to the GTu unit and signal was fine.
then, disconnected the explora and connected the 2 tuner hd pvr and thats when the 'Please wait while the decoder tries to determine in which satellite footprint it resides' showed and the dstv switch switched on and off.
Old 2017-05-11 , 10:21

Ok, then not what I was thinking about. Please wait for Geoff D to post, he'll be along later on to help examine this further.
Old 2017-05-11 , 10:37
Technical Myriad

I tested Optic LNBs almost 4 years ago so I am quite interested in this thread!

Really a progressive move. 4 years ago MC was just not in a position to allow any of us to exploit this technology, but now with the 24-1Z switch being available, one should be able to get this to work beautifully. Could you provide me with the model number of the Optic LNB please or a link to a site where I can have a look at its spec and how it works please.

BUT I agree with Optimist, I do not think any of your issues lie with the optic LNB, but rather with userband conflicts between the decoders, which will cause the switch to behave erratically.

How are you providing power to the 24-1Z switch? Separately or from the decoders? I am assuming the optic LNB has its own power feed?

Start doing the following:

(A) Connect the optic LNB outputs to the 4 24-1Z inputs, BUT make sure that there are no special arrangements here. If the optic LNB has ports marked H/L, V/L, H/H, V/H, then be sure that these are connected to the correct ports on the 24-1Z sw.

(1) DO NOT connect the Explora to the switch at all.
(2) Verify the connections of the HD PVR. Connect it to a SATCR(Unicable port) on the sw, and make sure the network setting on the HD PVR is set to SATCR Universal AND that you have ensured the default userbands on the HD PVR are set to be anything except user bands 0,1,2 ( say 3,4) with the correct frequencies.

Look these up on the 24-1Z manual.

To do this, go to the network settings, highlight the SATCR universal setting, press the white button (edit) and change the userbands for both tuners, and then save the settings. Reboot the decoder and check that it is working. Now re-connect the Explora decoder to another SATCR Unicable port on the 24-1Z. All conflicts should now be eliminated and both decoders should work. The Explora will then use the default userbands, 0,1,2.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-11 at 13:56. .
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:11

One other thing - is your HD PVR the Pace or UEC model? If UEC, then the user band settings instructions we've given you will have to be changed.
Old 2017-05-11 , 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
One other thing - is your HD PVR the Pace or UEC model? If UEC, then the user band settings instructions we've given you will have to be changed.
Will make sure tonight.
Old 2017-05-11 , 13:49

Hi Geoff D

Optical LNB is powered by receiver and not a PSU.

24-1Z is powered by decoder.
Please see link to optic LNB unit.http://www.spacetv.co.za/pages/our-p...00187-4926.php

I will check network setting and user bands tonight and revert back tomorrow
Attached Images
File Type: png GTU.PNG (336.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 2017-05-11 , 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I tested Optic LNBs almost 4 years ago so I am quite interested in this thread!

Really a progressive move. 4 years ago MC was just not in a position to allow any of us to exploit this technology, but now with the 24-1Z switch being available, one should be able to get this to work beautifully. Could you provide me with the model number of the Optic LNB please or a link to a site where I can have a look at its spec and how it works please.

BUT I agree with Optimist, I do not think any of your issues lie with the optic LNB, but rather with userband conflicts between the decoders, which will cause the switch to behave erratically.

How are you providing power to the 24-1Z switch? Separately or from the decoders? I am assuming the optic LNB has its own power feed?

Start doing the following:

(A) Connect the optic LNB outputs to the 4 24-1Z inputs, BUT make sure that there are no special arrangements here. If the optic LNB has ports marked H/L, V/L, H/H, V/H, then be sure that these are connected to the correct ports on the 24-1Z sw.

(1) DO NOT connect the Explora to the switch at all.
(2) Verify the connections of the HD PVR. Connect it to a SATCR(Unicable port) on the sw, and make sure the network setting on the HD PVR is set to SATCR Universal AND that you have ensured the default userbands on the HD PVR are set to be anything except user bands 0,1,2 ( say 3,4) with the correct frequencies.

Look these up on the 24-1Z manual.

To do this, go to the network settings, highlight the SATCR universal setting, press the white button (edit) and change the userbands for both tuners, and then save the settings. Reboot the decoder and check that it is working. Now re-connect the Explora decoder to another SATCR Unicable port on the 24-1Z. All conflicts should now be eliminated and both decoders should work. The Explora will then use the default userbands, 0,1,2.
Hi Geoff D
Thank you for the reply.

I think there is a bit of confusion here.
I would like to use the HD PVR separately.
The explora will not be used at the moment due to waiting for ownership rights.

All I want to do is the following, connect the 24-1Z switch to the optical LNB and use one SatCR ouptut on 24-1Z for the HD PVR.

If I do this at the moment I get a the determine satellite footprint error.

I will make sure my network setting is set to SatCR.

Anything else I need to look at?
Old 2017-05-11 , 20:11
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie85 View Post
Hi Geoff D
Thank you for the reply.

I think there is a bit of confusion here.
I would like to use the HD PVR separately.
The explora will not be used at the moment due to waiting for ownership rights.

All I want to do is the following, connect the 24-1Z switch to the optical LNB and use one SatCR ouptut on 24-1Z for the HD PVR.

If I do this at the moment I get a the determine satellite footprint error.

I will make sure my network setting is set to SatCR.

Anything else I need to look at?
Thanks for the info on the Optic LNB!

That is okay. In that case you will not have to immediately make any changes to the user bands --- you could leave them at the default values of 0, 1.

But rather choose SACTR Universal if you plan to connect a single cable between the 24-1Z switch and the decoder (the correct port on the decoder marked "SATCR/Unicable")

I am a bit concerned about the total power drain of the switch and the optic LNB though. Will try and check if it is too much for the decoder to supply.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-11 at 20:32. .
Tags
explora, fibre, gtu, hdpvr