Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Vuzu Amp EPG resulting in failed recordings
Old 2017-05-11 , 10:52
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
If you record The Great Indoors on M-Net then that is the reason New Girl failed - that is what happened on my side.
Nope. Don't watch / record the Great Indoors. Recordings were set for double episodes of New Girl, then Real Housewives at 18:30.
Old 2017-05-11 , 10:58
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
A bit confused Krugie.

What was the setting of the great Indoors? 18:00 to 18:30?

Did this then get changed at the last minute to 18:00 to 17:59?

When the EPG for yesterday got loaded (a week ago), the Great Indoors was scheduled to be from 18H00 to 18H30 and my series recording was then scheduled for the same time.

At some stage after this, the EPG got changed to show The Great Indoors being from 17:59 to 18:29. Due to the Explora bug, my scheduled recording remained 18:00 to 18:30 and no conflict was shown with New Girl (17:30 to 18:00).

However, and this is the way I believe it is working, close to the recording triggering, the scheduled time updates with what is on the iPlate (which is 17:59) and at that stage it came into conflict with New Girl.

Hope that is clearer?
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2017-05-11 at 11:02. .
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Just to let you know, I had an extensive meeting with the channel director and technical director (as well as some other members of their scheduling teams), with our team from Broadcast Technology.

M-Net has made a very clear and firm commitment to eliminate these kind of issues and to not mess with the EPG within 7 days of broadcast, and only 2 or 1 day within broadcast for Express from the US.

I don't want to go into all the details of different systems talking to each other and the various complexities to get it right for customers with all decoders. Please be assured that I am in constant contact directly with the channel director of M-Net (have already shared your most recent posts) and he is very committed to work with us to get this right.

We can only apologise profusely for your experience at the moment - we're working to get this right. Thank you for giving us the chance to do so.
Thanks for the feedback MoM. The biggest culprit here is not the fact that general EPG changes are made - once the software is fixed that should not be a problem. The main issue are these 1-minute and 2-minute changes being made to starting times which causes recordings to be in conflict due to a 1 or 2 minute overlap. If a program is scheduled to start at 18:00 the EPG should never be allowed to change to a 17:59 starting time.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
Nope. Don't watch / record the Great Indoors. Recordings were set for double episodes of New Girl, then Real Housewives at 18:30.
OK that is very strange indeed and seem to be a different issue. Just looked at your 2nd photo now and I see New Girl shows in totally the wrong place - they should show sorted according to starting time which is not the case.
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:14
MultiChoice

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback MoM. The biggest culprit here is not the fact that general EPG changes are made - once the software is fixed that should not be a problem. The main issue are these 1-minute and 2-minute changes being made to starting times which causes recordings to be in conflict due to a 1 or 2 minute overlap. If a program is scheduled to start at 18:00 the EPG should never be allowed to change to a 17:59 starting time.
That is exactly what we've told M-Net and that is what they are working on.
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:16
Technical Myriad

Quote:
When the EPG for yesterday got loaded (a week ago), the Great Indoors was scheduled to be from 18H00 to 18H30 and my series recording was then scheduled for the same time.

At some stage after this, the EPG got changed to show The Great Indoors being from 17:59 to 18:29. Due to the Explora bug, my scheduled recording remained 18:00 to 18:30 and no conflict was shown with New Girl (17:30 to 18:00).

However, and this is the way I believe it is working, close to the recording triggering, the scheduled time updates with what is on the iPlate (which is 17:59) and at that stage it came into conflict with New Girl.

Hope that is clearer?
Yup makes perfect sense. the second recording will overlap by a minute (nothing to do with the buffers) and cause the second recording to fail)

Incidentally I picked up a similar issue on the UEC HD PVR4T (No sw updates to confuse the issue, only late fiddlin' with the EPG).

I have for months a series setting that ends at 18:00 which recorded fine. Then two TBRs set both to start at 18:00. All worked fine (remember the 4T has dual recording capability).
Because of the issues with possible buffer overlaps and EPG changes, the TBRs are set to start at 18:00 with no start buffer.
But fortunately the two channels involved are notorious for starting shows late so we very rarely lose anything of import at the beginning.

Along comes an EPG fiddle and now what happens is the Series recording completes but one of the concurrent recordings starts late (Note the older decoders did not fail a recording in this scenario, they simply start late). BUT not consistently the same one. All this started happening last week.

Fixed by moving one of the TBRs to the SD PVR. (Great to have record 3 capability ) Now all recordings start when they are supposed to (with start buffers included in the TBRs).
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-11 at 11:25. .
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:19
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Given I did not have an EPG issue, why did my recording fail?
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:22
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Ja agree the idea to create a 1 minute gap between content (maybe as a temp measure), should not move the start time forward as well because then all you are doing is moving the problem forwards.

End shows at 1 minute before the hour or half-hour but start all shows on the hour or half-hour.

BTW anyone looked at the EPGs in detail lately? I see "thick" lines between shows on the SD PVR and on the UEC HDPVR 4T, suggesting that those EPGs are being set as above. Is this not the same on the Explora?

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-05-11 at 11:30. .
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:29
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
Given I did not have an EPG issue, why did my recording fail?
Post the timeline please and let us have a go at analyzing for possible reasons.

PS, my long term solution to your problems would be to get a second Explora going and eliminate the back-to-backs.

or unpack and re-commission that SD PVR of yours
Old 2017-05-11 , 11:39
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
That is exactly what we've told M-Net and that is what they are working on.
Possibly core to why these adjustments are being made, but a bigger long term concern either way, is the problem with reality shows not sticking to their originally alloted slot periods. Very essential that that is solved for once and for all, this has been a problem for years and amounts to trying to build a skyscraper (the rest of the night's program slots) on a foundation of jelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
BTW anyone looked at the EPGs in detail lately? I see "thick" lines between shows on the SD PVR and on the UEC HDPVR 4T, suggesting that those EPGs are being set as above. Is this not the same on the Explora?
Just looked again, doesn't seem like it's being done on the Explora. But MoM did mention that part of the complexity is the different way decoder models operate so presumably this is one of them.