Old 2017-05-05 , 09:58
Technical Myriad

Now I am going to be VERY controversial with an alternative suggestion.

What you have here is a MUD installation!

So, it requires a far more professional (but costly) installation.

A perfectly good solution would be to:

(1) Install a good old fashioned QUAD or QUATTRO LNB at the antenna, with 4 cables running to a more centrally placed 24-1Z MS, from which you now connect each of the decoders with a separate single cable to each decoder, using the Unicable ports. Each decoder would then have only two cables going to it (apart from any local RF distribution), the LNB cable connected to the 24-1Z MS and the HB cable sorting out the HB connections with an SLX splitter located at the same centrally located 24-1Z MS.

This solution would allow you to continue to use the existing decoders, and will allow you to upgrade or replace the decoders at any time you choose. It will shorten the cable runs and be future proof.

2. The second way would be to get in a professional installer to install a normal MUD installation distribution setup. This would be quite expensive however.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-05-05 , 10:16
Changes remote batteries hourly

Agree with Geoff's idea #1, it's the best solution.
Old 2017-05-08 , 11:12
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

@ Ian as long as you use one of the explora 2a decoders as primary , than you just need one deplexer for the old explora than cable lengths are fine.
its not recommended to have the explora one as primary when using diplexers as cable length becomes an issue, but will be fine with your lengths as long as explora 2 is primary.
Old 2017-05-09 , 06:48

Thanks for the the clarity MC FS.

What then happens if an external diplexer ends up also needed with a 2a, to allow for relaying of remote commands via the SLNB - will the additional diplexer attenuate the HB signal badly enough to noticeably affect the cable distances?
Old 2017-05-11 , 12:17

no it shouldnt but i will setup a combination in my lab and test to see if there is any restrictions when adding an external diplexer
Old 2017-05-11 , 12:29

Great, thanks. I think that will be the last piece of the puzzle in place
Old 2017-05-24 , 14:23
Still listens to the wireless

Thanks for all the replies & info. Some feedback on what the "DSTV accredited" installer insisted needed to be done.Explorer 2 installed as Primary with +/- 30m of new 96 braid cable as he insisted that this was required for this distance? Diplexer installed behind this decoder.Explorer 1 installed as secondary with +/- 15m of new 64 braid cable. Diplexer installed behind this decoder.Using RF out on both decoders to other TV's +/- 15 m away . The main TV's have good picture , the linked Tv's have very poor picture quality.Explorer 1 needed rebooting the first night because it "froze" . Both decoders needed rebooting last night because the Iplate info was gibberish on both. Just received the invoice from the installer (which included an installation voucher for the Explorer 2) just under R7200.00!! We shall be having words.

Last edited by IanRob; 2017-05-24 at 14:49. .
Old 2017-05-24 , 14:39
MultiChoice

Pls also pass the detail of the installer to MC Field Services so they can address this with them. Pls send that via PM.
Old 2017-05-24 , 16:11

Unbelievable. I'll leave it to others to maybe comment further, but it will be most interesting to see any later feedback from MC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRob View Post
Both decoders needed rebooting last night because the Iplate info was gibberish on both.
This part won't be related to your install, there was a systems fault at MC last night that affected all, since sorted out.
Old 2017-05-25 , 08:22

Ian please can you pm if you need assistance . id need a break down of the invoice