Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Press release: DStv Explora is the TV Gadget of the Year for 2016
Old 2017-04-26 , 11:42
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Stuff Magazine's big brother awarder the Sky Q the TV Gadget of the Year for 2016.

Except, that's a 12 (yes twelve) tuner whole home Ultra HD DVR.

1 Tuner for live TV
4 Tuners for recordings (no more conflicts there)
2 Tuners for streaming to thin clients
2 Tuners for streaming to tablets
1 Tuner for some picture in picture
1 Tuner for data (EPG)
1 Spare

But, OK, the Explora is great with it's decades old XtraKludge.

So I now have a broken SD PVR which we are busy cannibalizing for spares. I will be opening the tuner module in it to see how it works and what it is capable of over the weekend. Been dying to do this for a very long time ....
I see the rule is still in place --- the chips come in multiples of 3 tuners. Even in single view decoders it is said there are actually 3 physically available.

3,6,9,12 .....

So the 4 tuners should have 2 spares available ?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-27 , 12:33
Changes remote batteries hourly

Just read the article - in it they mention that we can create our own Playlists
Perhaps they meant our own Channel Groups.

They reminded me that mine has mostly worked well, that this forum is heavily concentrated on everyone's combined errors. Have to say that much has been tackled, and successfully, in the last year or so.
I guess I'm a fan now, although I still prefer the old style GUI but that's probably my past involvement bias speaking
Old 2017-04-27 , 16:35
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunB View Post
Sjoeeeeee. Kinda puts things in perspective.
Exactly

Old 2017-04-28 , 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
The Explora is streets ahead of what was happening with HD PVR's.
No. The Explora is YEARS behind what other markets are offering.

Quote:
Why can't we just have what great international top market trends offer?
This is just not true. While there may be some argument that we can't "afford" the latest and greatest, whole home DVR has been around for a long, long time. XtraKludge is decades old technology and really an insult to us all. The third decoder connected under one subscription costs a thousand rand a year with no additional equipment cost from DSTV. Two years of that and the whole home DVR is looking cheap at the price.
Old 2017-04-28 , 17:47

Don't want to argue Simon, I know and understand your passion for the likes of the Hopper and you may recall I have felt similar, but the points listed are real and the situation is not going to change.

There's also this... https://www.google.com/search?q=site...cKcmw6mo#spf=1
Old 2017-04-28 , 17:54

I'm not sure how MC could "sell rights" to Dual View technology when the rest of the world has been doing it for ages. I had a dual tuner solution in a home theatre PC before the SD-PVR came to market.

THAT'S how long dual view has been around and we've gone backwards. Now we're on to stupid "binge watch" marketing gimmicks that can't even be taken advantage of because I can't record a rugby game at the same time.

REALLY?
Old 2017-04-29 , 18:08

For the sake of those who have not witnessed what we all have in the past;

More or less as the Mods explained, the system including the single unit multi-view tech attached with MC's proprietary encoding / decoding design was sold off. It was made clear that these days such development is now totally excluded from possibility, and so is adapting any other existing decoders from working with their system.

Security is of prime importance to them, a few of us have learnt some of the details such as how very often all the coding is changed.

Record 4 is still possible if one has 2 of the 4 tuner PVR's or finds them secondhand, though that would make the 3rd viewing environment also reliant on online related options we've discussed elsewhere, and restrict total possible viewing environments by one.

The main problem I believe Simon is probably concerned about is the need to disrupt a viewing environment when its HDD content needs to be used at any local or distantly connected TV's.
Agreed, a difficulty for some and certainly less than what's available on other continents.
The slow improvement we're seeing may help further if MC later decides to offer a XV x 4 option, what's been done so far suggests it's possible. No doubt reliant on the bigger security picture and what they practically believe the local market may require further.
All expansion possibilities carry a price tag that's not ideal compared to top international options, a handicap of their needed island infrastructure. One would think that anyone wanting or needing that degree of additional usage is in a position to afford it. Personally I think the resultant studios benefits on our less than honest (in some communities) continent make it worth it.

We can debate it and examine the details until the cows come home, that's our reality. I too wish it was otherwise and would love having a Hopper.

I'm sure that's enough for others to understand anything further.
Old 2017-04-29 , 23:29

I know we we're talking about decoders and recordings also viewing capabilities. I don't want to add fuel to the fire but for a possible future this will be perfect I would say.

http://www.pcmag.com/review/342715/d...twork-hopper-3

Even the remote is more practical than the sky q remote.

Explora
Old 2017-04-30 , 00:11

Maybe you missed the detail about why it's a closed system JP. Never going to happen, there's no fire that can be fuelled - MC and their holding companies have invested countless millions in their many decades long more careful than most security and have now brought out enough options to satisfy too many.

Methinks we should rather concentrate on what is most possible to improve on here, but it's a passionate subject and some will always feel we've been done in so I expect the debate will always continue.
I'll leave it there. It will help if we keep aware of the facts available to us, perhaps MC will have more to add on Tuesday.
Old 2017-04-30 , 00:21

Yip I know it won't happen but it still nice to read about it. I do like our current system the only addition I would really like is accessing recording from the playlist away from home.

Explora