Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Press release: DStv Explora is the TV Gadget of the Year for 2016
Old 2017-04-25 , 12:27
MultiChoice

Default Press release: DStv Explora is the TV Gadget of the Year for 2016

MultiChoice’s flagship PVR decoder, the DStv Explora, has been named the TV Gadget of the Year 2016 by Stuff magazine. The popular tech site and magazine said the Explora wasn’t just tough to beat, it was “impossible to beat.”

The DStv Explora is the best way to experience DStv’s wide range of content without missing any entertainment. A selection of shows, movies, sports highlights and kids’ entertainment, including local favourites like Isibaya, The Queen and Boer Soek ‘n Vrou and international hit series like Billions, are available on DStv Catch Up on the DStv Explora - ready and waiting for customers to watch whenever they have the time. Customers can also record their favourite series with the press of a button using the series record feature or hire one of the 30 latest blockbuster movies fresh from cinema available on BoxOffice.

When customers connect their Exploras to the internet, they get access to even more entertainment. The Catch Up Plus service offers more series to stream or download to the Explora, as well as the M-Net Movies collection, which is an extended library of 1000 movies. Customers can also binge on box sets with Showmax or set remote recordings via the DStv Now app or the online TV Guide.

The DStv Explora has previously been named one of the Most Beautiful Objects in South Africa by Stuff magazine. More information about the DStv Explora is available at dstv.com/explora.

END.
Old 2017-04-25 , 13:51
4K, baby!

I'm very happy with my Explora so have no problem with it being named the TV Gadget of the Year for 2016. Well done. However, not being tech savy as I am, can someone tell me what competition the Explora was up against?
Old 2017-04-25 , 16:15
MultiChoice

Please see the link to the Stuff Magazine list of finalists: http://www.stuff.co.za/dstv-explora-...get-year-2016/
Old 2017-04-25 , 16:58
Technical Myriad

In die land van die blindes is een oog koning

Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-25 , 17:36
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Lindi View Post
Please see the link to the Stuff Magazine list of finalists: http://www.stuff.co.za/dstv-explora-...get-year-2016/
MC Lindi, thanks for the reply and the link.
Old 2017-04-25 , 22:06
Changes remote batteries daily

Stuff Magazine's big brother awarded the Sky Q the TV Gadget of the Year for 2016.

Except, that's a 12 (yes twelve) tuner whole home Ultra HD DVR.

1 Tuner for live TV
4 Tuners for recordings (no more conflicts there)
2 Tuners for streaming to thin clients
2 Tuners for streaming to tablets
1 Tuner for some picture in picture
1 Tuner for data (EPG)
1 Spare

But, OK, the Explora is great with its decades old XtraKludge.

Last edited by Simon; 2017-04-27 at 16:28. . Reason: Apostrophe in the wrong place! Spelling.
Old 2017-04-26 , 07:23
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Sjoeeeeee. Kinda puts things in perspective.
Old 2017-04-26 , 09:41
Changes remote batteries hourly

The Explora is streets ahead of what was happening with HD PVR's.
Though, Explora "3" still needs;
A faster processor and more sturdy harddrive (HDD) (I don't know if it's improved on the model 2A) - somewhat costly, but essential.
More time and resources invested in thorough Beta testing and giving customers what they practically ask for. Bells and whistles sell, reliable and sensible enough behaviour keeps customers happy and coming back for more. EDIT: This has been improving.
A basic model, with the option to upgrade to a larger HDD at service centres.

Why can't we just have what great international top market trends offer?
Our much smaller population.
Our economy...
Decoder development is shared with the rest of Africa, where in most cases conditions are far worse.
I have my doubts about what local industry is capable of now, and if it's cost effective at the high end.
As has been explained - MC won't work with other company's off the shelf products (if even affordable enough in our market), they have to control security to the nth degree. As I believe I understand it, this allows for otherwise unavailable content to be offered in Africa and helps reduce some sourcing costs.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-27 at 10:46. . Reason: Tidy up, see EDIT
Old 2017-04-26 , 10:57
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Agree and disagree to a certain extent. Premium subscription and top end PVRs are meant for your higher income bracket demographic. I don't see why they/we/us could not get a premium product (at twice the price) with all the bells and whistles... even if the rest of africa don't want it.

If you make the designs "modular" to a certain extent, you could have the cheaper HD decoder and more premium 12 tuner explora 3a share some design/production characteristics to save costs??

PS. The above could all be horse tripe as I’m just thinking out loud without any qualification.
Old 2017-04-26 , 11:35
Changes remote batteries hourly

MC's history suggests there's not enough demand for that degree of high end to be practical. Now the economy is far worse and presumed sliding down a steep slope for quite some time to come.

Nevertheless, we now have the XV x 3 option, and among other online options Google Chromecast is on its way... so although not the ideal for those with international knowledge, fairly good IMO and if I know MC that won't be the last of it.

No, I really think the Explora delivers well enough, but with quite some room for improvement.