Old 2017-04-24 , 13:16
Knows how to use a remote

Default Explora 2

I have just upgraded from the HD PVR 2P to the Explora 2, and it is largely easy to follow, but I need help please with a couple of issues. Under User Preferences I have set a 10 min safety net time before and after Recordings but this seems to work only with recording a single episode, not for Manual Recordings ? I also don't seem to be able to alter a Manual Recording (for a time change say) - can this only be done by deleting the MR and redoing it ? And lastly, does Series Recording record only new episodes of a chosen program during the 8 day period, not repeats ? Presumably recording conflicts will appear in the appropriate Tab for amendment ? I have never used Series Recording, and want to try it. Will really appreciate some help
Old 2017-04-24 , 13:59
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I have played around with the safety net settings and for me leaving it at the default settings of 1+1 worked the best.

The event tracking of the Explora software takes care of the recordings and sinc with the times sett in the EPG schedule making the safety net settings unnecessary and it seem to be ignoring it in any case. It work well most of the time with the only failure is when the EPG is not update timeously by MC.

I found that changing the safety net settings cause recording conflicts in some instances where back to back recordings are scheduled.

Series recordings will only record the first airing of an episode and not the repeats. If for some reason the recoding was incomplete it will reschedule and record the next available airing of that episode.

Hope you enjoy the Explora 2a as much as we do ours.
Old 2017-04-24 , 14:45
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1662 View Post
I have just upgraded from the HD PVR 2P to the Explora 2, and it is largely easy to follow, but I need help please with a couple of issues. Under User Preferences I have set a 10 min safety net time before and after Recordings but this seems to work only with recording a single episode, not for Manual Recordings ? I also don't seem to be able to alter a Manual Recording (for a time change say) - can this only be done by deleting the MR and redoing it ? And lastly, does Series Recording record only new episodes of a chosen program during the 8 day period, not repeats ? Presumably recording conflicts will appear in the appropriate Tab for amendment ? I have never used Series Recording, and want to try it. Will really appreciate some help
The times have to be set by yourself when using the MR facility. the automatic safety nets are not utilized in this mode. That has always been the case with all the decoders.
MRs cannot be amended at all after they are set, you have to delete them and re-enter if you want to make any changes to MRs.

The claim is made that changing the safety nets is hardly worthwhile as the Exploras all have full event tracking enabled. The safety nets then hardly have any effect or at worst will possibly increase the likelihood of conflict if changed form the default 1 min for series settings. EBRs ( single event recordings seems to be the only type of setting that may benefit form increased safety net times.

Repeats are only recorded if the first setting fails for any reason or if a conflict arises that the decoder cannot resolve.

No the settings will remain active until the series gets completed, BUT generally speaking series settings will not reflect in the schedules for those episodes still not available in the 8-day window. As the schedules roles on, the settings will appear when a new episode shows up or a repeat is selected to record as a result of a previous failed recording.

It is rather rare these days to find someone who has not dabbled with series recordings on the older decoders. So I would rather not influence you on your experience. it will very interesting to get your impressions after you use the facility for a while.

The conflicts should arise when you set a recording and ask you how you want to resolve the conflict, or, later appear in the list if a conflict cannot be resolved automatically by the decoder sw.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-24 , 14:47
MultiChoice

Hi, as far as I know, safety nets are IGNORED when managing conflict (ie. this is to ensure that if you have back-to-back recordings, both will take place) - so the overlapping safety nets will be removed. The safety net at the start of the first recording will remain and the safety net at the end of the second recording will remain (these are not in conflict). I've asked the team to confirm this, so will let you know if my memory needs coffee.
Safety nets don't apply to manual recordings as you're manually setting the end and start times. If you want a manual recording to start earlier (or end later), you need to manually update the time for that recording when you set it.
With regards to changing manual recordings you are correct - no way to edit. Simply delete and set up a new one.
I hope you've found the quick way to get to schedules (press PLAYLIST and then just press ALT to change to your schedules and then vise versa to get back to PLAYLIST).
Any queries about your new Explora - please let us know how we can help.
PS : Are you loving the new Catch Up?
Old 2017-04-24 , 15:14

Thanks very much Jan - appreciate your input.
Old 2017-04-24 , 15:17

Thanks Geoff - very useful input. I am definitely going to try the Series Recording this week, as soon as I get the time to do it. I have the feeling that it will go into the category of why I didn't do it ages ago once I have tried it - often happens with me, and I will definitely give you feedback.
Old 2017-04-24 , 15:20

Thanks so much for your input Brenda. I hadn't worked out the Playlist / Alt feature yet, so thanks for that too. I didn't worry about Catch Up with the old decoder because it was so limited, but I can see from the facility on Explora that it is WAY better, certainly covers all the series I watch, and I have already used it, so early feedback is it is excellent.
Old 2017-05-07 , 09:54

I need help again please - I have 10 min safety nets in place at the start and end of my recording settings, which translated into my losing half of the Twin Peaks 1 Binge Recordings on Channel 900 last night. I understand now how this happened, but Brenda, it seems your understanding of the overlapping safety nets being removed if recordings are back-to-back isn't how it is. My thinking now is that if I set up back-to-back Series recordings, I must first remove the safety nets ?
Old 2017-05-07 , 11:05
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi Val,

I also had a problem with Twin Peaks SBR recordings last night, as far as the episodes that had been lost goes it seems to either be some sort of operating bug or some behind the scenes problem made with the scheduling.
Really bad considering this is a channel launch, and by an experienced channel group, and with a machine that worked fine with this until recently, and lastly the problem of no repeating of these episodes is planned.

However I completely agree with MC Brenda - I've had my Explora long enough to know that safety nets never interfere with recordings, and no-one has ever posted otherwise except for a Forumite called Jan - it was his suspicion once, which I couldn't see enough proof with at the time, and he's still new to using the Explora.
These latest problems won't be because of the safety nets either, I purposely removed all safety nets individually before recordings began and that didn't help.

I'm not involving myself with this further, hopefully MC will pull out all the stops to ensure this negative development is brought under control ASAP.
Old 2017-05-07 , 11:16

Hi Optimist - I really appreciate your reply, and your input is also very helpful. I was beginning to think I had my new Explora sorted, then this happened, but now I understand that it happened to everyone. As you say, very disappointing for a channel launch, not to be repeated Series broadcast, etc - perhaps they will re-screen it because of these issues ?