Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > Late EPG change results in failed recording
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:24
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Default Late EPG change results in failed recording

Does MC understand the consequences of the very late changes made to the EPG? I actually don't think so

On Monday night, I had 8 back to back recordings set. By this I mean one ends at 18:30, next starts immediately. No time to mess around.

I always check my evenings recording at somewhere beween 18:00 and 19:00 daily. All 8 recordings were good to go.

At about 21:45, I discovered that I had a failed recording cancelled due to conflict - see photo of The Catch. This happened sometime after I'd checked my recordings, when the start time for How to Get Away with Murder was changed from 21:30 to 21:28 - see photo of Schedules.

The interesting thing for me here is that the EPG and iPlate still reflected the start time as 21:30 - see photos.

Please stop making these extremely late changes to the EPG - it really stuffs things up!

P.S. The EPG on Tuesday also changed, and to avoid having the Explora make decisions on my behalf, I set manual recordings which guaranteed I got my all recordings.

Murder 4.jpg

Murder 3.jpg

Murder 1.jpg

Murder 2.jpg
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

I completely agree, something needs to change very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
...I set manual recordings which guaranteed I got my all recordings.
Something I've also been reverting to more and more, but it's far from ideal, either way as I detailed in another thread in the General forum section.
Another way is to "group record" manually.

But;
1. Explora MR's can't be edited when that's needed.
2. Mass content on one recording can't be separated, so one has to watch all of it before it can be deleted.

Not all of us have record 2 or 3 in HD capability.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-20 at 12:40. . Reason: Paragraphing
Old 2017-04-20 , 13:39
Technical Myriad

@ MadCat,

Very intrigued as to how the conflict resolution now works on an Explora seeing I now have one more or less permanently connected up.

So could you clear up a few things about the settings you had last night?

1. All 8 settings on the same channel or on different channels?
2. Al set on the EPG? None of them MR's?
3. What are the start and end buffer settings please?
4. Are you able to list the settings in the order they were supposed to take place please?

Yesterday and the day before, there was a lot of messing around going on. I suppose you noticed that some of your settings showed as being on ch 901 M-Net iso. 101 N-Net?

So not only were there changes to the start times, in the mix but incorrect channel numbers being displayed?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-04-20 at 13:43. .
Old 2017-04-20 , 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
@ MadCat,

Very intrigued as to how the conflict resolution now works on an Explora seeing I now have one more or less permanently connected up.

So could you clear up a few things about the settings you had last night?

1. All 8 settings on the same channel or on different channels?
2. Al set on the EPG? None of them MR's?
3. What are the start and end buffer settings please?
4. Are you able to list the settings in the order they were supposed to take place please?
Hi

1. Different channels, see 4 below
2. On Monday night, all set using EPG
3. Default buffers of 1 minute either side

4. Need to say that the last 2 recordings were not exactly on the half hour as Billions ran long, but they followed each other on the EPG.
101 18:00-18:30 Powerless
103 18:30-19:30 Real Housewives
101 19:30-20:30 Greys Anatomy
101 20:30-21:30 The Catch - failed recording
103 21:30-22:30 How to get away with Murder - start time changed to 21:28
901 22:30-23:30 Billions
901 23:30-00:30 Leftovers
901 00:30-01:30 Magicians
Old 2017-04-20 , 13:56

Need to point out that the reason the Explora cancelled The Catch in favour of How to Get Away with Murder, is that Murder is listed higher on the series recording list than Catch. This happened when I reset all the series recordings after the 101/102 merge.
Old 2017-04-20 , 15:03
Technical Myriad

All the settings are for series recordings, so the priority rules for series recordings would apply and all are equal, UNLESS you have changed the priority for the one that did record to higher than the one that failed? Is that done by changing the order in which the appear on the list?

I would have thought that as the first recording was already in progress, it should have completed and the other one re-scheduled to a repeat? Assuming of course that there was a repeat available to record. If not then the one with a repeat available would have failed instead.

All thing being equal, one of the recordings would have failed because the programs definitely overlapped by 2 minutes as a result of the last minute time change.

So yes regardless of anything else the failure of one of the two recordings was inevitable as a result of the last minute change, but it should have been the one with the time change that should have failed.
Old 2017-04-20 , 15:32
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Is that done by changing the order in which the appear on the list?
That is correct yes - by moving items up and down on the list of series recordings you prioritize them.

Quote:
but it should have been the one with the time change that should have failed.
On the Explora the one with the lowest priority will fail - irrespective of whether a repeat is found. The only way to force the other one to fail instead is to manually choose to resolve the conflict or to go to the series recording list and amend the priorities.

Where I have conflicts I go and have a look at the Other Airings and based on that I change series priorities to ensure the failed (lowest priority) recording will record a repeat as soon as possible.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2017-04-20 at 15:35. .
Old 2017-04-20 , 16:39
Technical Myriad

Thanks Krugie. I have since been told that the priority is changed by moving a setting higher up in the list.

So the priority setting over rides the availability of a repeat? And if you get it wrong you could lose say the end of a series as a result?

Now at one stage I thought that most of these issues disappeared when MC set a time limit for EPG changes about 5 - 6 hours before an event was to take place?

I think I am going to sommer setup lots of recordings on the Explora just to see what it does.

To be honest I lost all interest in series recording capability with the 4-tuner decoders and having record 3 available. But now with the SD PVR not in the mix anymore I am having to take notice of all of this again.
Old 2017-04-20 , 16:51
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Now at one stage I thought that most of these issues disappeared when MC set a time limit for EPG changes about 5 - 6 hours before an event was to take place?
Event tracking was definitely working on the Explora - and working well - I have seen it many times. I believe a new bug has creeped in recently as per some other posts I have made whereby the scheduled series recordings do not get updated once a change is made to the EPG - and I don't think it is limited to short notice EPG changes. Having said that, it also does not occur EVERY time as I have also seen some of my series recordings being changed successfully....

I good place to play around with are the series following My Restaurant Rules weekdays 18H30 on M-Net. This program always gets loads on the EPG to end 19H30 and then a day or so beforehand the EPG changes to say it will end 6 to 10 minutes later.... often causing problems with the programs following it
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-04-21 , 17:30
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Hello

The source of the issue was finally tracked down to a bug in the Explora. Essentially the decoder becomes confused when the EPG is updated after the recording is initially added. The decoder team is working on a fix to the software to correct the bug, hopefully this will be pushed out soon. Thanks to all of you for reporting this issue and your detailed feedback.