Forum > Decoders > Installation > Smart Lnb + 2 seperate dstv subscriptions
Old 2017-04-20 , 10:21
Changes remote batteries hourly

I think things have just got into a bit of a confused knot, take a deep breath and start again with what you've learnt here.

Explora:
Tuner 1 = the channel you're tuned into for live broadcast viewing.
2 = for recording only.
3 = used for receiving CU, BO (Box Office), and main info / instructions from MC - cannot be controlled in any way by the user.

I've currently only got time to answer more in your other thread.
Old 2017-04-20 , 11:15

BTW, is the planned third decoder connected to the SLNB (Smart LNB) yet?
If so, is it another Explora or the 4136 HD Decoder (4U)?
If another Explora, or if the 4136 and it is connected to a unicable port on the SLNB, then please let us know its user band settings.

Or perhaps the third decoder under consideration is another type of decoder that you have? (Note - not possible unfortunately.)

If need be I'll try help more today in that regard, but if not done yet I suggest don't worry too much about it now - we can always tackle that addition later on.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-20 at 11:47. . Reason: Clarity
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:14
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

worst case if the decoders are connected with different userbands and you still have loss of signal , than to resolve I would recommend a reset to factory defaults with a format. its possible the decoder is locked on default frequencies causing the fault
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:41
Knows how to use a remote

Hi.

So prior to be wanting to add the 3rd my setup was Primary Explora and extraview on the old HD PVR ( 4 cables from dish although I used it with a dual LNB and switch)

I tested last night. I used to have 2 cables coming into the switch from the dual lnb and from there 1 (port A going to Explora) and another 4 going to the HD PVR

When I got the SLNB I simply took the 1 cable from the switch and plugged it straight into my Explora (came from port A on SLNB). The other cable which orginally plugged into the dual LNB I now plugged into the univeral port on the SLNB and plugged the other end it the H/L port of the switch and the xtracview continued to work

I will need to check its userband settings. Please not that I am still running the traditional heartbeat cable from the explora to the HD PVR. My hassles of the Explora's loosing signals was prior to me even setting up the xtraview again so I dont think it is the cause

I obviously then had to run a 3rd new cable from Port B on the SLNB to my parents explora
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2017-04-20 , 12:50

Ok, this is a major part of the confusion. When anything was affected by doing something else isn't going to help, let's just sort it all out.

1. It will not be at all possible to use your 4 tuner HD PVR as a third decoder for the 3 decoder XV (XtraView) option on one subscription. The 3rd unit has to be another Explora or a 4136 (not a PVR).

2. Get rid of the ES altogether, it has no valid use with you now having a SLNB.

3. How the HD PVR is even working correctly now is a mystery, but anyway... it can now only connect to a 3rd SLNB Unicable port (which ones are used for what is unimportant).

New settings, for everything, to follow in the next post, may take a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeylis View Post
Hi.

So prior to be wanting to add the 3rd my setup was Primary Explora and extraview on the old HD PVR ( 4 cables from dish although I used it with a dual LNB and switch)

I tested last night. I used to have 2 cables coming into the switch from the dual lnb and from there 1 (port A going to Explora) and another 4 going to the HD PVR

When I got the SLNB I simply took the 1 cable from the switch and plugged it straight into my Explora (came from port A on SLNB). The other cable which orginally plugged into the dual LNB I now plugged into the univeral port on the SLNB and plugged the other end it the H/L port of the switch and the xtracview continued to work

I will need to check its userband settings. Please not that I am still running the traditional heartbeat cable from the explora to the HD PVR. My hassles of the Explora's loosing signals was prior to me even setting up the xtraview again so I dont think it is the cause

I obviously then had to run a 3rd new cable from Port B on the SLNB to my parents explora
Old 2017-04-20 , 13:23

These settings are for your current setup of two Exploras and one HD PVR 4 tuner, on two separate subscriptions (same SLNB).
When ready to include a required 3rd decoder on the then only one subscription, we can help you further.

Explora 1:
Tuner 1 - Index 4, Frequency 1006
Tuner 2 - Index 7, Frequency 1159
Tuner 3 - Index 8, Frequency 1261

Explora 2:
Tuner 1 - Index 5, Frequency 1057
Tuner 2 - Index 9, Frequency 1312
Tuner 3 - Index 10, Frequency 1363

HD PVR 4 tuner:
We will not be altering the default user bands in this case. (Anyway, can only be done on the Pace, not on the UEC model.)
Simply now set the menu option for the LNB to "SATCR universal". (BTW, "universal" means something else in this instance )
And connect the Unicable feed from the SLNB to the tuner 1 port, the other HD PVR ports will not be used again.

These settings account for all your possible future needs (even under a few circumstances possibly adding the HD PVR on a separate subscription with EasyView for instance), which is why some of the Explora Indexes are in an "odd" order but that makes no difference to current or future operation.
I've now confirmed that the model 1 Exploras can use the Indexes I've listed for their tuner 1. (They can currently use Indexes 0 to 7, but not all can be available in this setup.)

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-20 at 13:55. . Reason: Final edit, quite a bit altered
Old 2017-04-20 , 15:14
Technical Myriad

Apart from the issue mentioned by MC FS, the only other way for an issue to arise in this setup would be if the third unicable port was connected to the ES switch and to the HD PVR decoder.

The better way would have been to connect all 3 decoders to the unicable ports and then to change the user bands on the two Explora accordingly, leaving out the ES altogether.

4tune HD PVR left on default would use user bands 0,1,2,3

Exploras would use bands 4,5,6 and 7,8,9

That would work on two separate subscriptions without interference between the decoders on one SLNB.

Not sure how the 4 tuner worked at all, unless it was only being used for recordings.

The Power issue:

The SLNB is not a passive device and draws quite a bit of power from a decoder. It is quite possible that if one decoder was switched off for any reason, that the SLNB would get itself into some or other state and not be able sort itself out.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-20 , 16:38
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

agree with Geoff
Old 2017-04-20 , 17:59
Knows how to use a remote

So as murphy would have it got home this afternoon and everything is working once again without mw making any changes

I dont get it

My tuner 3 doesnt show any signal or quality but everything appears to bw working though
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2017-04-20 , 18:20
Technical Myriad

Time for a recap on what you have connected and how.

The Exploras will fail on you if there is no signal available for tuner 3.

The EPG should not be working and displaying and CU and BO downloads should not be updating.

SLNB port A - connected to Explora

SLNB port B connected to Explora

SLNB port C connected the HD PVR 4 T

Network Settings on each decoder

HD PVR should be set to SATCR Universal

Explora user band settings. No ES in the loop.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-04-20 at 18:23. .