Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > new software problems for old decoders?
Old 2017-04-15 , 11:44
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Not so, Barrymore

Everything changes. You have replaced a faulty decoder and, in doing so have disturbed connectors and cabling; posibly the mutiswitch, too. So not possible to "eliminate" anything.

Take a peek at this little thread too..... http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=19058

I fully agree that the " HDCP is not supported" error has nothing to do with your satellite feed. It frequently occurs on older decoders depending on how the TVs and decoders get powered up. It typically fixes itself and can normally be ignored.

But the E16 error is most likely to be an installation issue and can be anywhere upstream of your decoder; starting at the f-connectors.

Cheers, K
As a layman I find most of these posts too technical for me.
My technician has been contradicted a number of times. I just wish he was dealing with this thread instead of me. As it is, it took weeks before I managed to contact him and he being so busy, it is difficult getting him to come around.
Old 2017-04-15 , 12:23
Changes remote batteries hourly

Here's as much as I can offer (sorry it has to be so long), and for both our sakes I'm going to be blunter than usual Barry, else we'll go around in frustrated circles.

To sum up, it's possible that there's a common unrealised fault with these units which makes it possible to keep coming across it. It's also possible that your original unit was less sensitive or that any problem on the install itself happened at the same time as when it died, such as lightning caused intermittent damage. Certainly the new replacement unit shouldn't have acted the same as the refurbished units that followed.

So what you've posted in the past does not necessarily relate, new problems can appear similar but aren't, cables / LNB housing / connections can deteriorate, now or further, and so on. It could also be a matter of when you checked the signals.

The advice given is based on many years of intense experience. I suggest let's leave wide assumptions and any need to criticise one side for now, replaced by fault finding logic if you're to have a smoother ride with this.
My suggestion if you want further help, stop just believing your installer's advice as it's certainly wrong in a number of respects, and now check the signals again in the way explained when having E16 and long resultant checking of the smartcard (E30 / E32?) problems and post feedback.
Also tell us if it's the 2 or 4 tuner please.

The HDCP problem is not related to this so must be handled separately, but as with Jan it's not causing practical problems so can wait for another time IMO.

The signal checks may not initially reveal any problems in this case, that doesn't mean there aren't any.
Try to see if the pattern of E16 etc. problems is related to time of day or weather. Unfortunately the E16 itself can take many hours or longer to develop after a weak signals problem so this may not help in working it out.
Some background: These days MC change their coding far more frequently, two related but different problems to yours have been seen by me (but so far no others on this forum).

And there's the possibility of an account setup issue that could also be checked.

More than that, there's plenty of people still using these decoders successfully so it's up to you - some or possibly quite a bit more P.T. will get you there, or decide to move on to the Explora.
There's nothing else to add that can help you decide, except that if there is an install problem then it will continue with an Explora as well.

Hope it goes better now. As mentioned, I'm not sure if I'll be helping further.
Old 2017-04-15 , 13:32

And here's a bit of needed clarity;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
...except that if there is an install problem then it will continue with an Explora as well.
1. If getting an Explora, if also needing to replace the LNB for one that's Explora compatible then that could end up unintentionally solving the problem.

2. If an account setup problem, changing the decoder could end up fixing that as a side result. Or not.
Old 2017-04-15 , 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Here's as much as I can offer (sorry it has to be so long), and for both our sakes I'm going to be blunter than usual Barry, else we'll go around in frustrated circles.

To sum up, it's possible that there's a common unrealised fault with these units which makes it possible to keep coming across it. It's also possible that your original unit was less sensitive or that any problem on the install itself happened at the same time as when it died, such as lightning caused intermittent damage. Certainly the new replacement unit shouldn't have acted the same as the refurbished units that followed.

So what you've posted in the past does not necessarily relate, new problems can appear similar but aren't, cables / LNB housing / connections can deteriorate, now or further, and so on. It could also be a matter of when you checked the signals.

The advice given is based on many years of intense experience. I suggest let's leave wide assumptions and any need to criticise one side for now, replaced by fault finding logic if you're to have a smoother ride with this.
My suggestion if you want further help, stop just believing your installer's advice as it's certainly wrong in a number of respects, and now check the signals again in the way explained when having E16 and long resultant checking of the smartcard (E30 / E32?) problems and post feedback.
Also tell us if it's the 2 or 4 tuner please.

The HDCP problem is not related to this so must be handled separately, but as with Jan it's not causing practical problems so can wait for another time IMO.

The signal checks may not initially reveal any problems in this case, that doesn't mean there aren't any.
Try to see if the pattern of E16 etc. problems is related to time of day or weather. Unfortunately the E16 itself can take many hours or longer to develop after a weak signals problem so this may not help in working it out.
Some background: These days MC change their coding far more frequently, two related but different problems to yours have been seen by me (but so far no others on this forum).

And there's the possibility of an account setup issue that could also be checked.

More than that, there's plenty of people still using these decoders successfully so it's up to you - some or possibly quite a bit more P.T. will get you there, or decide to move on to the Explora.
There's nothing else to add that can help you decide, except that if there is an install problem then it will continue with an Explora as well.

Hope it goes better now. As mentioned, I'm not sure if I'll be helping further.
You advice is appreciated. All I can add is that I obviously cannot check the signal strength once the E16-4 message appears as the decoder immediately reboots and when picture is back that problem is then gone. I have a debit order, in force for many years so not sure what account problems could exist. I was told that the Explora
has one downfall, possibly problem with xtra view or one cannot watch a channel when another is being recorded.
I keep a record for a few months now of the days every time this problem occurs. Once over a two week period there was no problem.
I feel like printing this entire thread and taking it to Multichoice and see what they have to say.

Last edited by Barrymore; 2017-04-15 at 14:50. .
Old 2017-04-15 , 15:11
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrymore View Post
I was told that the Explora
has one downfall, possibly problem with xtra view or one cannot watch a channel when another is being recorded.
With a proper installation there will be no such a problem as mentioned.

I can watch a channel while recording another on the Explora 2A while someone else can watch a second channel and record on another channel on the Pace HD PVR 2P on Extra View.

To summarize we can view 2 separate channels and record 2 completely separate channels at the same time with this setup. There is no such downfall
Old 2017-04-15 , 15:11

I'm glad to try help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrymore View Post
I was told that the Explora
There's no truth in that at all, we've helped with hundreds of Explora installs. Probably misunderstood installation setups.

Your problem isn't easy to diagnose, one of the more difficult I've seen, but this is often the case when there's intermittent behaviour.

If it were me - I would be checking signals at regular intervals during trouble periods, at some stage changing the LNB (and any MS (MultiSwitch) involved), AND checking the cables for problems.
Your installer is not necessarily incapable, but needs to spend more time investigating than blaming. He may just be doing that due to your frustrations / economic concerns.
MC could be responsible, but there's probably more chance that it's your install.

If I were you, not having the tech background and relying on others' not always certain help, I would go for the Explora... and figure out any further issues from there. Would be a win-win in the end. But then keep the HD PVR, you could later add it with XV (XtraView) if it's not the problem (and if another decoder isn't already added).

EDIT: By "account" setup problems I mean the whole setup of your subscription, not the accounting side itself.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-15 at 15:38. . Reason: Detail
Old 2017-04-16 , 09:06

Right. I've decided I will buy the Explora 2 and a smart LNB then take it from there.
Old 2017-04-18 , 09:23
Technical Myriad

The only time one has problems with simultaneous viewing and recording on any of the PVRs is when there is an issue with the LNB, its connections and the settings on the decoder.

Trying to diagnose what these are can be very tricky if one does not have a clear picture of what the settings on the decoders are an what the install looks like.

The first thing one should do is to check the settings, especially if the problem has appeared overnight. A sw update might have occurred and some or other parameter got reset to defaults.

After that it is a trial and error matter.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-23 , 09:24

An interesting observation I just made which could help to eliminate
possible causes. My outbuilding has xtra view, a basic decoder connected to the problematic PVR decoder. When E16-4 message appears
and the PVR decoder reboots the TV is blank but the xtraview decoder is not affected and the TV connected to it is not affected.
Old 2017-04-23 , 09:28

That's normal - the outbuilding decoder would only show signs of trouble after half an hour of interruption, until then the XV stability would remain intact.