Forum > Discussions > Discussions > So what is HDTV anyway?
Old 2017-03-29 , 19:29
Still gets up to change channels

I agree with that. Having being lucky enough to have graduated from very iffy B&W TV services in the UK in the 60's through watching the brand new SABC test pattern on my Triniton in 1974/75 to the first HD pilot broadcasts on DSTV, the watching experience has improved incredibly.

To be honest the improvement is so great both my wife and I invariably will give a show (and a channel) a miss if it is not in HD.

Now we are lucky enough to have Stunning UHD streaming on Netflix and Amazon - sadly an UHD set with HDR enabled is beyond our resources - but, can the quality get any better?
Old 2017-03-30 , 09:23
Technical Myriad

Thanks MoM for confirming the 1080i. I share MCs views on the other standards. We have seen these manufacturer driven things before. This time though UHD/4K seems to have some more clarity and substance.

I take it that Optimist's post reflects what the Explora is capable of delivering?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-30 , 09:26
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I take it that Optimist's post reflects what the Explora is capable of delivering?
Sorry, I can't seem to find Optimist's post you're referring to?
Old 2017-03-30 , 09:41
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
I agree with that. Having being lucky enough to have graduated from very iffy B&W TV services in the UK in the 60's through watching the brand new SABC test pattern on my Triniton in 1974/75 to the first HD pilot broadcasts on DSTV, the watching experience has improved incredibly.

To be honest the improvement is so great both my wife and I invariably will give a show (and a channel) a miss if it is not in HD.

Now we are lucky enough to have Stunning UHD streaming on Netflix and Amazon - sadly an UHD set with HDR enabled is beyond our resources - but, can the quality get any better?
In the past the constraint was in the display device. Then the constraint became the availability of bandwidth and in that time displays improved to the point where one could not do justice to what a display could deliver. Now with the changes in modulation techniques etc, The constraint is again swinging back to what the displays are capable of.

With MC now transmitting in 1080i, an HD panel is most definitely a minimum requirement. The best example is the Blitz channel which went HD this week. Before it was almost impossible to read on screen graphics and truly benefit from this sports news channel. So a HD Tv is really for the first time moved into the "necessity" bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Am I the only one who isn't going ga ga over HD and Ultra 4K HD televisions? Certainly an HD tv picture is better than the normal SD one but we lived with SD for years and were quite happy with it. HD came along and made the viewing that little bit better and now they come along with Ultra 4K which is exactly how much better than what we already have? HD wise that is.

Perhaps those who want super duper tv pictures should rather put their tv's off and go outside and just look at the world around them. Cannot get better picture than that

@BB, I have similar views and have not gone ga ga over all of these developments mainly because I know where the current constraints are broadcast technology. I also have never believed in changing devices just for the sake of changing. The broader family now only have 3 analogue TVs in use, one of which is mine.
Old 2017-03-30 , 09:42
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Sorry, I can't seem to find Optimist's post you're referring to?
Post #4 in this thread section B.
Old 2017-03-30 , 09:55
MultiChoice

Eish, thanks for the pointer (been a long week). Yes it is.
Old 2017-03-30 , 10:52
4K, baby!

Quote:
....... how many of the members of the forum are aware of the row that has broken out about Telefunken Full HD TVs being sold by outlets such as Game? To summarise, Game has been forced to withdraw from its shelves, some Telefunken Full HD models because they are not equipped with 1920 x 1080 panels. .......
Nu World now owns the once world-renowned and formerly excellent German Brand "Telefunken", here in South Africa.

As a result they can (and do) label up any old junk as a Telefunken product; see catalogue.

http://nuworld.co.za.dedi84.cpt4.hos...ALOGUE2017.pdf

So it does not surprise me in the least that false claims are being made about the specifications of Telefunken products here in SA.

Cheers, K.
Old 2017-03-30 , 12:03
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Nu World now owns the once world-renowned and formerly excellent German Brand "Telefunken", here in South Africa.

As a result they can (and do) label up any old junk as a Telefunken product; see catalogue.

http://nuworld.co.za.dedi84.cpt4.hos...ALOGUE2017.pdf

So it does not surprise me in the least that false claims are being made about the specifications of Telefunken products here in SA.

Cheers, K.
Yes this is exactly what caused the issue. On that same site, you will also find the JVC catalogue as well.

Essentially what has happened is TVs smaller than 40" are marked as being "FULL HD" with misleading statements that the TV's "support" 1920 x 1080, but what has been proven is that the display panels are 1366 x 768 which means the TVs can never be claimed to be Full HD TVs. (at best, the term "HD Ready" could be used but there is even doubt about that, as this term has a very specific meaning according to EU standards). There is such a thing as HD Ready 1080p as well.

Most small displays below 32" are NOT 1920 x 1080.

The TVs work make no mistake, BUT they cannot properly display 1080i signals because there is not a 1:1 pixel match between the source and the display panel. So some form of downscaling has to take place. For DVDs and channels transmitted in 720p the TVs are fine.

Of course one could always get the decoders to downscale before connecting them to the TV. This is NOT the issue however.

The issue is thus about false advertising and the incorrect use of the term Full HD and not about whether the TV works or not.

Now here is an interesting observation! I downloaded that very same catalogue earlier this week and I presume you downloaded it today? The catalogue now no longer uses the term "Supports 1920 x 1080"! They have gone back to only providing the aspect ratio info! Talk about a scaly move! But the model codes give them away! The model codes still use "FHD"!

I have reacted as follows: I will not buy any Nu World products ever again, does not matter what it is, and have got rid of my shares!

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-30 at 12:23. .
Old 2017-03-30 , 15:43
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
The issue is thus about false advertising and the incorrect use of the term Full HD...
And as you mentioned earlier, now also about using the term "HD Ready" in some instances - quite a further surprise!

From an earlier post;

Quote:
Hopefully the debate gets to the point where anyone in the market for a HD TV knows what to look for and how to evaluate TVs on offer in the marketplace.
What I'm next interested in hearing about from others is what their experiences have been with the HD TV market.
Also, does anyone here have an OLED TV (Organic LED) and what do they think of that compared to normal LED. The market seemed to believe that it's an outstanding enhancement, although that was quite some time back so perhaps LED itself is doing better itself now?

Years ago I did a lot of research into what's truly considered best quality (just before LED took off properly so then more related to plasma / LCD).
I ended up sold on Philips LCD.
Since then, Philips has apparently not being doing as well, and the last few years now seems to be "owned" by Sony's continuing good strides forward.

There have also been other technologies emerging. I can't recall the details right now, but they were also building on from LED / OLED.
Old 2017-03-30 , 16:11
Changes remote batteries hourly

And for anyone still considering plasma or LCD (I would think usually from a cost perspective now), here is what were the main concerns a few years back.
Plasma does not do well at higher altitudes (Gauteng) - learnt from a senior at MC involved with tech.
LCD does not deliver enough contrast so among other things blacks are not black enough. There were some tech enhancements that improved on that, including on my Philips units.

Further info and thoughts about the honesty and reliability of the market and its manufacturers / suppliers will also help others with making future decisions.