Forum > Decoders > Installation > Using Smart LNB not need HeartBeat
Old 2017-03-28 , 16:46
Changes remote batteries hourly

The one other possible reason for it having seemed to work without HB - if there was initially a HB connection, later disconnected, the secondary decoder would have also continued to function for up to half an hour after the disconnection.
Old 2017-04-29 , 11:24
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
When all decoders in XtraView are Explora 2, then no heart beat cable needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi

I currently have an HD PVR/SD PVR setup. I'm planning on linking 3 x Explora 2 via the new SLNB (decoders will be placed in different rooms). I want to be able watch all 3 decoders and control all 3 decoders in every room. The tv signal to each of the rooms will hopefully be carried by existing rf cables.

I will creating my own thread regarding this but for now:

1. I need to confirm that the heartbeat is transmitted via the smart lnb to the 3 explora 2's (as stated by MC Marietjie)

2. Am I correct in assuming that you can control any of the exploras without the need for a tv link by pointing the remote at any explora? i.e. To change the channel on the bedroom explora even if I am in the lounge or vice versa (As i think I've read on the forum)

I just spoke to an accredited installer listed on the dstv website and he says it's not possible to transmit the heartbeat via the SLNB. He says each they need to install diplexers behind each decoder.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Aadil; 2017-04-29 at 11:43. .
Old 2017-04-29 , 11:51

Hi,

1. Correct, if using the SLNB then the designated primary Explora 2A will always automatically transmit the HB (heartbeat) to the other two secondary 2A's regardless of if you do or don't have any RF linking.

So the installer is wrong.
What he's misunderstood - all other known decoders that can use this via-Unicable option do require adding diplexers, the Explora 2A has a built in diplexer.

2. Correct, using the remote Relay settings will allow for this.

I'm not sure if I'll help with your own thread, it may be best to wait until Tuesday when more Mods & Forumites will be around.
Old 2017-04-29 , 12:06

Please pass this info on to that accredited installer, or post the company name so that MC can contact them to sort out their confusion.
Old 2017-04-29 , 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Hi,

1. Correct, if using the SLNB then the designated primary Explora 2A will always automatically transmit the HB (heartbeat) to the other two secondary 2A's regardless of if you do or don't have any RF linking.

So the installer is wrong.
What he's misunderstood - all other known decoders that can use this via-Unicable option do require adding diplexers, the Explora 2A has a built in diplexer.

2. Correct, using the remote Relay settings will allow for this.

I'm not sure if I'll help with your own thread, it may be best to wait until Tuesday when more Mods & Forumites will be around.
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate it.

Yes, I'll be posting it in the next couple of days or Tuesday. No rush.
Old 2017-04-29 , 12:34

Quote:
Please pass this info on to that accredited installer, or post the company name so that MC can contact them to sort out their confusion.
I'll try to call them again but it was Dish Africa

Dish Africa
Telephone: 0110381111
BELLEVUE
Old 2017-04-29 , 21:54
Technical Myriad

Confirm the HB will be transmitted to the other decoders via the SLNB and cabling if all the decoders are Explore 2A's.

I have not personally been able to test whether remote control commands will also pass via the SLNB however.

Now to the distribution of RF that will work as it did with the other decoders you have at the moment,provided all the RF OUT signals are combined via suitable splitter.

You should consider other signal distribution methods .

The installer should be informed that diplexers are only required behind the Explore 1 and the HD decoders.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-30 , 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I have not personally been able to test whether remote control commands will also pass via the SLNB however.
What a great concept, hope it's possible. For those who don't see it - that would allow for using a HDMI distribution system only, no RF cabling required. (Although apparently some HDMI distribution equipment can already also carry remote signalling.)

@MC Field Services can you shed any light on this?

And since this is now a "spare" thread, can you also help with this please David;

Quote:
...all other known decoders that can use this via-Unicable [HB] option do require adding diplexers...
The "unknown" decoder I'm thinking about is the new HD Decoder model 4S2 - here's questions we asked in another thread elsewhere:

Quote:
Does the DStv HD 4S2 maybe have a built in diplexer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
What is the decoder model HD4S2 used for? Is this a DVB-T2 compatible decoder?
From the software update sticky - "DStv HD 4S2 (This model has the wording UHF on top of the P- and P+ buttons on the front panel of the decoder)"
Old 2017-05-02 , 12:20

relay commands do work using an external diplexer, however the Explora 2 doesn't allow for relay commands without an additional diplexer or possible T piece splitter. the external diplexer option will work as it splits the signal off to the RF modulators either RF IN or RF Out.
Old 2017-05-02 , 12:22

remember to select the communication port in your menu of the DStv decoder and that it matches the Rf port being used