Old 2017-04-04 , 10:49
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Your symptoms are a more unique behaviour, and that's not correcting itself. My opinion is that there's maybe some sort of corruption, perhaps the harddrive itself.

Probably not the kind of thing that can be resolved here, I suggest taking the decoder in to a service centre (an agency is not going to be as capable).
If you have one or more other decoders in your setup, keep that running while this one is taken in. Also a good idea to first watch the most important recordings on it, if you can.
Thank you for your quick response and for all the help on this forum. Please refer to my next post.
Old 2017-04-04 , 10:50
Still gets up to change channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Pamela View Post
Hi OuToppie

I’ll need certain info on your decoder in order to assist accordingly. Under download manager, go to the affected titles and press info. Then send me the screen-shots which include all the info on the specific titles, I’ll forward it to our tech team to look into and advise.
Thank you for your quick response. Before abiding with your request, the following:

Last night in the spur of the moment and after the SO went to bed, I started to do some testing.
1. I downloaded the latest episode of Black Sails. When it was downloaded I watched it. No "freezing" of either the picture nor sound occurred. I only watched about 30 seconds.(The SO and I usually watch it together), I then initiated the download of the latest episodes of Aftermath.

2. This morning I watched one of the episodes of Aftermath for about 30 seconds for the same reason as mentioned in 1. above. No "freezing" occurred,

3. I the tried to watch a movie downloaded on 1 April but the picture and sound "freezed". I stopped the playback and chose not to delete the download. I must mention that this was in the "freezed" state but the menus could still be used. I navigated to catch-up, searched for and found the movie and deleted it, I then initiated a download of the same movie which was duly queued and the download started. I then rebooted the Explora using the plug out method expecting the download to continue after the interruption.
After waiting the usual time after rebooting, I checked on the actions I did pre booting. I had to delete the movie again and again initiated the download. It appears thus that the actions I took while the decoder were in a "freezed" state never happened.
When download finished, I watched it, again for about 30 seconds, without "freezing".

4. It would thus appear that something happened after 1 April that fixed my problem. I can watch CU + again.

Last edited by OuToppie; 2017-04-04 at 10:56. .
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:02
Changes remote batteries hourly

That's great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuToppie View Post
It appears thus that the actions I took while the decoder were in a "freezed" state never happened.
Some actions require a few minutes for them to be stored more permanently in memory. I normally suggest a 5+ minute wait before rebooting, although in some cases longer and even MC have at times suggested up to 15 minutes.
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:09
Technical Myriad

I confirm. Too quick on your evaluation as well. 30 seconds is not near enough to evaluate. Should also FF to a few places and play at least 5 minutes before drawing any conclusions.

And no, you cannot reboot the decoder by whatever means you like so quickly. You need to give the sw time to store away the data about settings AND create the backup on the HDD before rebooting.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:12
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
And no, you cannot reboot the decoder by whatever means you like so quickly. You need to give the sw time to store away the data about settings AND create the backup on the HDD before rebooting.
Why is there no menu option to do a "safe" reboot?
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:14
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "safe reboot".

However, I think people resort to this "remedy" far too easily and most of the time for nothing.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:22
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Not sure what you mean by a "safe reboot".
As in the "Restart" option on a Mac/PC. Basically manually forcing the early morning reboot.
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:23

Quote:
I've often suggested that an advanced menu would allow for more functionality, as there's many other control options that would be helpful as we all know.

This one however seems unapproachable - a delay before rebooting would confuse, the option in any menu wouldn't be discovered by too many, and getting rid of the delay doesn't appear feasible (it's been the case with all decoders all along).
Old 2017-04-04 , 11:25

Thought you meant a pre-organised delay for when any reboot is done by the user.

Quote:
As in the "Restart" option on a Mac/PC. Basically manually forcing the early morning reboot.
In our experience the daily automatic maintenance reboots don't reset as well as the soft or better still hard reboots.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-04-04 at 12:14. . Reason: Clarity
Old 2017-04-04 , 13:11
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuToppie View Post
Thank you for your quick response. Before abiding with your request, the following:

Last night in the spur of the moment and after the SO went to bed, I started to do some testing.
1. I downloaded the latest episode of Black Sails. When it was downloaded I watched it. No "freezing" of either the picture nor sound occurred. I only watched about 30 seconds.(The SO and I usually watch it together), I then initiated the download of the latest episodes of Aftermath.

2. This morning I watched one of the episodes of Aftermath for about 30 seconds for the same reason as mentioned in 1. above. No "freezing" occurred,

3. I the tried to watch a movie downloaded on 1 April but the picture and sound "freezed". I stopped the playback and chose not to delete the download. I must mention that this was in the "freezed" state but the menus could still be used. I navigated to catch-up, searched for and found the movie and deleted it, I then initiated a download of the same movie which was duly queued and the download started. I then rebooted the Explora using the plug out method expecting the download to continue after the interruption.
After waiting the usual time after rebooting, I checked on the actions I did pre booting. I had to delete the movie again and again initiated the download. It appears thus that the actions I took while the decoder were in a "freezed" state never happened.
When download finished, I watched it, again for about 30 seconds, without "freezing".

4. It would thus appear that something happened after 1 April that fixed my problem. I can watch CU + again.

Hi OuToppie

Great to hear .