Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Catch Up > Catch Up Plus Expiry Logic
Old 2017-03-27 , 07:53
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Catch Up Plus Expiry Logic

There seems to big a bit of a logic issue on Catchup (Plus)

I have a list of episodes available.

The earliest episode on Catchup indicates expiring (I get the logic, as it's expiring on Catchup). However, there are even earlier episodes listed as available on Catchup Plus - download icon showing.

If the episode is available on Catchup Plus, this should override the expiring icon on Catchup.
Old 2017-03-27 , 08:04
Changes remote batteries hourly

It's a weird mix of issues, here's what I make of it (some of it has been explained);
  • When titles are delayed reaching CU, sometimes they are able to put them on CU+ in the interim.
  • Some titles never seem to make the transition, or leave behind CU+ "residue".
  • Additionally, for series much of what was on CU and has expired then get placed on CU+ for an extended period. There are cases where this involves superstacking the whole season.
  • Expiry dates do sometimes go wrong, at times there seems to be a spate of that.
  • Some of the 1000 odd movies on CU+ have expiry dates far into the future (including some for Jan / Feb so they look like they have "past" expiry dates), presumed to be items that either don't have expiry dates to speak of or have been given very long leases.
  • Different studios / supplying channels have different rules about how long episodes can be available for and how many of them at a time. This can also vary with different series from the same source.
As I said, a weird mix. Definitely a work in progress, that needs to progress much more...

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-27 at 08:29. . Reason: Added last point
Old 2017-03-27 , 14:57

Aside from obvious bugs, the "expiry" logic is the problem that I saw.

IMG_1044.jpg

Obviously, in the Catchup Plus environment, Episode 3 is clearly not "Expiring".
Old 2017-03-27 , 15:01
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Aside from obvious bugs, the "expiry" logic is the problem that I saw.

Attachment 7516

Obviously, in the Catchup Plus environment, Episode 3 is clearly not "Expiring".
You'll see that the expiring episode does not have a cloud icon next to it, which will indicate that it is available on Catch Up Plus (so for download or streaming). As the interface shows all Catch Up and Catch Up Plus episodes available for this show, you will see a combination of normal shows that is on your 'push VOD on your box' and the shows with the cloud icon.

So in this case, Episode 3 is expiring off your decoder (off push VOD) and is not yet available on Catch Up Plus to download or stream (pull VOD).
Old 2017-03-27 , 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
You'll see that the expiring episode does not have a cloud icon next to it, which will indicate that it is available on Catch Up Plus (so for download or streaming). As the interface shows all Catch Up and Catch Up Plus episodes available for this show, you will see a combination of normal shows that is on your 'push VOD on your box' and the shows with the cloud icon.

So in this case, Episode 3 is expiring off your decoder (off push VOD) and is not yet available on Catch Up Plus to download or stream (pull VOD).
I understand what is happening, but the logic is flawed from the end user perspective.

All I see is that an episode is expiring. If I only had Catchup, it would mean that I would have no other way of watching it. Agreed.

If I had Catchup Plus and it hadn't yet pushed to the decoder, I would have seen it with a cloud icon already anyway.

The software should identify that a Catchup Plus version is available, or will be available and not confuse the end user with "Expiring". I could, after all, get the episode on Catchup (apparently not Plus ;-)) on DSTV Now, or on my computer.

I'm sure the clever young guys in the development department can come up with a better worded solution.

Again, another flaw in the Catchup that is not Catchup Plus that is Catchup logic that we've been discussing elsewhere.
Old 2017-03-27 , 16:50

I agree with Simon - they way it works is confusing to the user. One possible solution might be that the CU+ item be loaded on the same day the Expiring message for CU appears. This will mean Episode 3 appears twice for a couple of days but only the CU version will show as Expiring.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.