Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > My Kitchen Rules EPG schedules
Old 2017-03-24 , 15:02
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Angry My Kitchen Rules EPG schedules

I would have thought that whoever is responsible for the EPG data by now realizes that most of the episode of My Kitchen rules are longer than the 60 minutes it is scheduled for.

Last night the EPG showed the end time for My Kitchen Rules and the beginning OF NCIS Los Angelis as 19:33.

The I plate correctly showed this as 19:39.

Now 6 minutes does not sound like much but because event tracking on the Explora 2A is locked to the EPG and not the I plate the recording started 9 minutes early recording the last 6 minutes of My Kitchen Rules plus advertising resulting in the loss of the last 9 minutes of the episode.

The domino effect resulted in a incomplete recording of Taken as well.

This is very frustrating and totally unacceptable. Changing safety net settings on the Explora 2A causes back to back recordings to see the extra time at the end of a recording overlapping with the next recording as a Recording conflict and is not a solution for bad quality control.

I have posted this under my previous thread when Chicago Med was effected by the same EPG error but it has been to be ignored so I decided to start a new thread.
Old 2017-03-24 , 15:22
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
Changing safety net settings on the Explora 2A causes back to back recordings to see the extra time at the end of a recording overlapping with the next recording as a Recording conflict and is not a solution for bad quality control.
This is not going to help in your case as the 1st program overran but safety net settings should not cause conflicts. I record many programs when one finishes (for example) at 19:30 and the other starts at 19:30 with a 10 minute safety net and both record without conflicts or problems.

What is causing the conflict is the fact the the EPG has the program ending at 19H33 and the other program most likely starting at 19H30. Whenever programs has such non-standard staring and/or ending times there is always issues - the ridiculous scenario of Carte Blanche always having an end time of 20H05 is another example mentioned many times already.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-03-24 , 16:02

My issue with My Kitchen Rules not fitting into a 60 minute slot is that it creates clashes with other channels. For example, The Big Bang Theory is supposed to run from 20:00 to 20:30 on a Wednesday, but because of My Kitchen Rules it doesn't end at 20:30, creating a problem if you want to watch The Flash on Vuzu Amp which starts at 20:30.

I realise that for the most part, other channels' schedules shouldn't have any bearing on what M-Net does, but since Vuzu Amp is also controlled by MC you'd think that it's to their benefit to ensure that the channels remain in sync.
Old 2017-03-24 , 16:25

Krugie I am not sure whether the Explora and Explora 2A reacts differently to the Safety net settings but I have played around with the settings on my 2A and found that changing to the 3-10 setting causes conflicts on all my back to back recording schedules. Adding 3 minutes to the EPG starting time and 10 minutes to the end time causes a 13 minute overlap which the 2A detects and display as a conflicting recordings. It could be a bug in the 2A software.

Regardless the 1-1 setting is working perfectly provided that the EPG is updated in time.

Looking at tonight's EPG schedule My Kitchen rules has been updated to end at 19:39 and the decoder rescheduled all the following recordings to coincide with the EPG data.

The event tracking feature of the Explora can only function properly as intended if the EPG is updated in time.
Old 2017-03-24 , 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
Krugie I am not sure whether the Explora and Explora 2A reacts differently to the Safety net settings but I have played around with the settings on my 2A and found that changing to the 3-10 setting causes conflicts on all my back to back recording schedules. Adding 3 minutes to the EPG starting time and 10 minutes to the end time causes a 13 minute overlap which the 2A detects and display as a conflicting recordings. It could be a bug in the 2A software.
That is quite possibly a bug then and should be looked into. Maybe try and post photos of such cases for further investigation. If you look at my sample attached, the top 3 programs are all 1 hour long on the EPG and back-to-back. My safety net settings are 5 minutes at the start and 10 minutes at the end - and there are no conflicts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170324_163637.jpg (447.6 KB, 8 views)
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-03-24 , 17:48

I took this photo last week when I played around with the safety net settings. Note the conflict between Lethal Weapon and Taken. But also note no conflict between the back to back episodes of Strictly.

The decoder changed the safety net settings for the two Strictly recordings to the default values 1-1, that could be that the software recognized that it was episodes of the same series and resolved the conflicting issue.

The decoder should resolve back to back safety net recording conflicts by reverting back to the 1-1 default settings and seem to be doing it most of the time but not always.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safety net.jpg (773.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 2017-03-24 , 18:20

It will be a bit difficult for the guys to investigate something in the past - current conflicts would be easier. it could be that the programs did overlap by a minute (or more) - even if it was only due to an EPG error. Unfortunately your photo also doesn't show the times.

Just to also add, I have never seen the safety nets being added on my list of scheduled recordings still to take place - it only ever shows the actual start and end time of each programs (excluding the safety nets). The safety nets only get added when the actual recording is in progress - which is also why there are no conflicts showing on my example screenshot.
Old 2017-03-24 , 19:33
Changes remote batteries hourly

There is one other possibility - that this behaviour is related to the bug recently discovered in which changes to safety net settings do not carry to existing SBRs' future scheduling.
Cancelling the SBR and then re-creating it could then resolve it.
You'll just have to monitor more closely Jan. If you can, try to avoid more than one experimental change etc. at any time.

If it does further appear to be a bug then the PVR Decoders section is the most fruitful place you could post more.

@Citanul - so agreed. Which is why we started discussing the cascading effect of reality shows' scheduling not being handled effectively earlier. So far, not early enough...
Old 2017-03-24 , 20:24

My issue here was with the My Kitchen Rules and that MC keep scheduling the series into a 60 minute slot and then either not update the EPG or do so too late for the event tracker to do its job.

I don't watch My Kitchen Rules nor record it. We would check the Schedules before we go out against the EPG and when we return home find that My Kitchen rules has once again overrun into my scheduled recordings and because the EPG was not updated timeously I sit with two or three incomplete recordings.

I am happy with a safety net of 1-1 on my Explora 2A. All my back to back recordings are recorded perfectly accept those that follow directly after my Kitchen Rule.

Unfortunately the thread drifted a bit off topic and we ended up at the safety net which is not the object of my concern.

I don't think it is too much to expect MC to seriously address the problem of the My Kitchen Rule overrun.

Please!
Old 2017-03-27 , 17:36

@MC Can we please have a response from you regarding the My Kitchen Rules EPG errors causing havoc with our recording schedules