Forum > Decoders > Installation > Finally Going to do it ....
Old 2017-03-23 , 16:20
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Finally Going to do it ....

I have been waiting for Airplay to become active (which goes some way to solving my third viewing environment).

Based on MCs promise of this being activated in April, I'm going to go ahead and replace my HDPVR - SDPVR XtraKludge combination.

I bough an Explora 2 some time ago on a special which included installation. I might as well use it to upgrade to an 80cm dish and Smart LNB. No additional cabling (which I know they LOVE to charge for) is required.

I will take the SDPVR in for a swap out (R700?) after the first Explora is "professionally" installed.

Fortunately, I've found 2 people that will swop out the brand new A7 remotes for their A6s and I only need to buy another 3 A6 remotes.

Just a question on the breaking of the link in the existing installation. What's the process to follow? Or, will the installer do it?

I will do a self Install on the second Explora 2.

Edit : I imagine that both Smart LNBs allow for the heartbeat and I don't have to concern myself with which one they install? Or, must I insist on the new Smart LNB?

Last edited by Simon; 2017-03-23 at 17:11. .
Old 2017-03-23 , 16:48
MultiChoice

Congrats on finally making the change! You're gonna love it!
Am sure the other moderators and forumites here can assist with more detailed installation advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2017-03-23 , 17:13
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I will take the SDPVR in for a swap out (R700?) after the first Explora is "professionally" installed.
When the Explora is installed they could end up deactivating the SD PVR as part of the process, depending on the setup details. The deals available are only valid if your SD PVR is still active when going in, so have the installer keep your SD PVR active as the XV decoder.
(So you'll then have to do without the HD PVR for the interim period, if that was planned.)

Here's the sticky with the latest deals info: Updates to our SD PVR trade-in offers

Quote:
Just a question on the breaking of the link in the existing installation. What's the process to follow? Or, will the installer do it?

I will do a self Install on the second Explora 2.
With both existing decoders connected and operating normally, you or the installer needs to phone in and have them break the XV link.
As per above, they need to be phoned again to establish the new Explora + SD PVR XV link.

And the same sort of process when dealing with the second Explora - they can break the newer link at the service centre, just make sure the Explora is still operational at home.
When getting back and having then set up the second Explora, you'll call them one last time to setup the final XV link.

Quote:
Edit : I imaging that both Smart LNBs allow for the heartbeat and I don't have to concern myself with which one they install? Or, must I insist on the new Smart LNB?
Here there's a bit of a problem. You initially need the older one for the SD PVR to work as the newer model only has a single universal port and two are needed for the SD PVR. Geoff may know if you can keep things going with only a VER or HOR connection.
Normally they would now supply the new model. It is believed more stable than the older model.
Old 2017-03-23 , 18:07
Technical Myriad

Traitor!

It depends on whether you want to install the new antenna where the old one is.

One option would be to keep the old one installed and connected for the SD PVR, and the new one for the Explora on the new SLNB. This is what I would do, keep the TWIN LNB for the SD PVR in the old antenna, and activated as a secondary decoder on the new Explora 2 installed on a new SLNB I a new antenna. Then you can go about replacing the SD PVR at your leisure.

In theory the older SLNB will work fine, BUT it is known to have issues and is not really suitable for a 3-decoder combination.

The other way is to keep the existing TWIN LNB for a while longer and use a 24-1Z switch which will support the SD PVR as is and use one unicable port for the new Explora 2. This option will mean either getting a quad LNB in the future or replacing LNB with a SLNB and the switch then becomes redundant.

What you do not want to do is deactivate the SD PVR and then try and get it replaced a few months later ---.

The SD PVR will work okay with only the one connection and should boot oaky. The problems will arise when trying to view anything on HOR. No chance for that to work.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-03-23 at 18:12. .
Old 2017-03-23 , 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Traitor!

Quote:
The SD PVR will work okay with only the one connection and should boot oaky. The problems will arise when trying to view anything on HOR. No chance for that to work.
So then "ok", just for keeping thing going enough, if connected to the VER connection.

Over to you Simon, some changed planning of exactly when to take the SD PVR in may help unmuddle this...
Old 2017-03-23 , 21:12

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. I do understand the traitor sentiment. I've hung on as long as I can and a lot longer than others. It was only the promise of Airplay (which now gives me up to 6 independent HD viewing environments) that finally allowed me to give up on the trusty old SDPVR. Also, the price point is now so low that I've run out of my final excuse.

Ok, a thought.

Let's say the installer arrives and replaces my dish in the existing position with the 80cm one and new smart LNB (501).

He installs the Explora 2 and gets it working with the call centre being advised that the SDPVR will be in XtraKludge. I'm assuming that the SDPVR never actually needs to be connected? Or, it could be connected to the one legacy port for the period of the installation. I only have two cables running from the dish to my decoder "centre" anyway.

As soon as the installer is done, I take the SDPVR to MC and replace it with another Explora 2 (R799 and a three A6 remotes). They give me the new Explora which will be installed by me when I get home.
Old 2017-03-23 , 22:42
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks very much for the replies. I do understand the traitor sentiment. I've hung on as long as I can and a lot longer than others. It was only the promise of Airplay (which now gives me up to 6 independent HD viewing environments) that finally allowed me to give up on the trusty old SDPVR. Also, the price point is now so low that I've run out of my final excuse.

Ok, a thought.

Let's say the installer arrives and replaces my dish in the existing position with the 80cm one and new smart LNB (501).

He installs the Explora 2 and gets it working with the call centre being advised that the SDPVR will be in XtraKludge. I'm assuming that the SDPVR never actually needs to be connected? Or, it could be connected to the one legacy port for the period of the installation. I only have two cables running from the dish to my decoder "centre" anyway.

As soon as the installer is done, I take the SDPVR to MC and replace it with another Explora 2 (R799 and a three A6 remotes). They give me the new Explora which will be installed by me when I get home.
Ja you could do that. The SD PVR needs to go from activated to replaced by an Explora in MCs systems. It does not need to be connected at all for that to happen.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-23 , 23:04

Quote:
It was only the promise of Airplay (which now gives me up to 6 independent HD viewing environments)...
Simon, I may be wrong as I haven't fully absorbed all the DStv Now options and details, but I'm under the impression that only 2 devices can be used concurrently. Perhaps Marietjie will see this and confirm or expand on it.

But with a 3rd Explora at some stage I think 5 independent options total would do it enough?
Old 2017-03-24 , 07:16
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

From DSTV FAQ:
Quote:
You can register a maximum of four devices to your single DStv Premium PVR subscription. A maximum of two simultaneous viewing streams across your registered devices is permitted.
So then 3 Satellite sources + 2 internet streams are the max
Old 2017-03-24 , 08:20

Quote:
Ja you could do that. The SD PVR needs to go from activated to replaced by an Explora in MCs systems. It does not need to be connected at all for that to happen.
Awesome ... that's makes it much easier. Thanks very much.