Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Explora freezes
Old 2017-03-09 , 17:05
Still gets up to change channels

Default Explora freezes

Hi All

Before I take my Explora in for testing maybe one of you can advise me on the following random frequent issues:

1- Frozen in standby showing clock and won't power on (Reboot fixes it)

2- Freezes with PG Lock and key icon when trying to play back recorded content followed by hard drive corruption error (Reboot fixes it)

3- Freezes when trying to pause Live Tv with clock showing 00:00:00 (Reboot fixes it)

4- When trying to play Catchup shows sometimes a hard corruption error occurs (Reboot fixes it)

This happens sometime 3- 4 times a day! My signal strength is 100% and quality between 87% to 100% depending on Horizontal or Vertical frequency down the channel range.

I've tried:
- Hard Formatting with Decoder buttons
- Soft formatting via Menu
- Frequency changes (so not to conflict with HD PVR 2P)

My setup:
Explora 1.0 (Primary) + Extra View HD PVR2P
Explora switch 5-1
80cm dish
Unicable SATCR with Legacy port
Distance from dish to Explora +-12m
Distance from Explora to 2P +-20m

Thanks
Old 2017-03-09 , 17:32
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi,

It unfortunately does sound like your harddrive is in slow death mode, but you could look at the following;

The 5-1 switch is old now, shouldn't be a problem but the newer 5-2 or 24-1z switches could be better for you.
That said, SATCRs are not ideal for an Explora, many don't work at all and future planned services changes could worsen this.
Recommended solution: Get a Smart LNB (SLNB). And the switch will then not be needed.

The 87% lowest signal quality is a bit on the edge, try tweaking the LNB's skew angle to get closer to 90%+ all round.

Feedback about the outcome of this would be highly appreciated, all the best with it.
Old 2017-03-09 , 18:01

Some more detail re the 5-1 switch;
  • It's more unusual than not to find someone with both its unicable outputs working.
  • MC's senior techies recommend that the cable distance from those two outputs be equal, and short. The results of not doing so are unknown to us.
  • The later switches don't have this problem.
Old 2017-03-09 , 18:32

Thanks

I'll try with the smart LNB first and see how that goes. The PVR 2P has had no issues with 100% quality and strength, connected to the 5-1 switch.
Old 2017-03-09 , 18:38

Sure thing, and that's a great choice for your setup

A bit more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeillB View Post
Unicable SATCR with Legacy port
You must mean with 2 legacy ports, else the switch cannot be fed with both polarities.
Maybe the Explora works directly off the SATCR's one and only unicable feed?
Then how you are using the 5-1 is ok. But still a future proof concern re the SATCR unicable usage re future Hi band channels, though they could be many months away.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-03-09 at 19:13. . Reason: Clarity re SATCR's options for later readers
Old 2017-03-09 , 18:44

Yes 2 legacy ports to the 5-1 switch and then to 2P PVR. SATCR Unicable straight to Explora. I think I set it up that way for ease of cabling.
Old 2017-03-09 , 18:51

Ok, presume you only wanted to feed one LNB cable to the distant 2P.

And I forgot to add that the switch would also need 4 legacy inputs for Hi Band inclusion. Not possible with the SATCR's we know of, so the SLNB is the all round winner solution - just 2 unicable feeds will be used, and the one for the 2P can go directly there or still be routed via the Explora's room.
Your heartbeat (HB) cable needs will remain the same.
Old 2017-03-09 , 19:13

Cheers thanks. Will post results after getting the Smart LNB. Holding thumbs it's not the Explora!
Old 2017-03-10 , 09:06
Technical Myriad

This is a rather unusual way of connecting up an Explora 1 and an HD PVR2P.

The best solution at this point in time is to do what Optimist has already tabled. Replace the entire feed setup with a SLNB.

BUT

You could also try this (and for others' trying to use an existing SATCR LNB with 2 legacy ports). This IS the correct method BTW.

(1) Connect the Explora direct to the SATCR port on the LNB. Make NO changes to the userband and frequencies.

(2) Connect the 2 cables from the legacy ports directly to the HD PVR2P. Make NO changes to the userbands and frequencies on the HD PVR 2P. There is no conflict between the two decoders possible.

(3) DO NOT use the 5-1 switch at all.

I am pretty sure all your problems will go away.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-03-10 , 10:26

Another consideration this unusual setup brings up due to wanting less cabling, is the HB cable.

@Geoff - I don't think any of us have ever asked if the diplexers can be used with any decoder also using Unicable that's older than the Exploras and 4136 HD Decoder.
It seems possible, but I wonder if an Explora or 4136 then has to be included, and perhaps be primary?

Hopefully MC Field Services can shed further light on this.

@Neill - I'm now just using your interesting thread to expand on other ideas, not necessarily advice directly for you. What this question could mean in your considerations is the possibility of doing without the HB cable if still planning to use a SLNB.