Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Now > Prime Time Buffering
Old 2017-02-18 , 09:42
Still gets up to change channels

Default Prime Time Buffering

I've tried twice this week to watch DSTV online (Android app) at around 8pm and the buffering has been horrendous. This is using MTN business.

I applied the new app update last night and the blockiness / resolution went down to something awful (impossible to even recognise faces) and then back up to something reasonable then the buffering circle started appearing every 30 seconds or so making it impossible to watch.

Had to switch to an overseas service (no local CDN) and had no issues streaming at 720p for an hour and a half.

Is this an MTN peering issue, or are other people also experiencing this?
Old 2017-02-18 , 21:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
I've tried twice this week to watch DSTV online (Android app) at around 8pm and the buffering has been horrendous. This is using MTN business.

I applied the new app update last night and the blockiness / resolution went down to something awful (impossible to even recognise faces) and then back up to something reasonable then the buffering circle started appearing every 30 seconds or so making it impossible to watch.

Had to switch to an overseas service (no local CDN) and had no issues streaming at 720p for an hour and a half.

I'm with Mweb and have the same issue. Guess the problem is on MultiChoice's side.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Old 2017-02-22 , 17:33

I've just changed ISP's and I'm still having the same issue. It starts fine and in HD but then after a couple of minutes it buffers and changes to SD. Why is this happening and can it be sorted out?

Last edited by Ermeric1; 2017-02-22 at 23:49. .
Old 2017-03-12 , 19:28

Still happening MC. And no response for three weeks?

Old 2017-03-12 , 22:52

Why am I unable to stream on DSTV Now in HD but am able to do so with Netflix, Showmax and YouTube? Could someone please explain?

Old 2017-04-24 , 11:09
Still listens to the wireless

Default Buffering problem

It is usually people in Cape Town who have the problem because DSTV are trying to serve the whole country from servers in Johannesburg. During peak hours most ISPs have bandwidth problems between Cape Town and Johannesburg. For Youtube and the like Google have caching servers in Cape Town. So their content is served locally.

My problem is DSTV keep telling me that I am the only person experiencing this problem and so it must be that there is something wrong with my equipment. I have sent them enough proof that this is not the case but they still deny it.

Let's see if anyone from DSTV actually reads their own forums and can give us their official response.

Otherwise let's get organised and start a facebook page where people can voice their frustrations.
Old 2017-04-24 , 12:09

Thanks for the explanation ramsbod. Pity MultiChoice doesn't say a word about this issue. They are loathe to admit a general problem and would rather have their customers believe that it's limited to them individually. The DSTV Now App is absolutely pathetic as I'm now receiving Error Messages that I never did before and coupled with the old buffering problem it's fast becoming unusable and a horrendous user experience.

Old 2017-04-25 , 12:11
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadcom View Post

Hi there

Please can you PM me your contact details - one of our guys would like to get hold of you to run some tests. Thanks.
Old 2017-04-25 , 12:12
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsbod View Post
It is usually people in Cape Town who have the problem because DSTV are trying to serve the whole country from servers in Johannesburg. During peak hours most ISPs have bandwidth problems between Cape Town and Johannesburg. For Youtube and the like Google have caching servers in Cape Town. So their content is served locally.

My problem is DSTV keep telling me that I am the only person experiencing this problem and so it must be that there is something wrong with my equipment. I have sent them enough proof that this is not the case but they still deny it.

Let's see if anyone from DSTV actually reads their own forums and can give us their official response.

Otherwise let's get organised and start a facebook page where people can voice their frustrations.
One of our tech guys is running some tests and would like to contact you to clarify a thing or two. Please could you PM me your contact details. Thanks.