Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Hard Drive Swap
Old 2016-04-04 , 14:45
Knows how to use a remote

Angry Hard Drive Swap

Hi

I would like to know if it is possible to swap the hard drive from an old explora with a hard drive from a new explora?

I understand that you cannot copy or transfer content to external hard drives etc but my problem is that my current explora's HDMI port and LAN port have broken now for the second time so I think it's time for a new Explora as opposed to trying to fix the old one like I did last time

I understand that the hard drive has special software loaded on it etc but surely if I am taking it out of one explora as is and putting it into another it should work?

At the moment I am watching everything via RCA in very poor quality as I dont want to loose all my recordings but I am really missing the HDMI quality
Extraview 2 : Coming Soon
Cables : Many
Old 2016-04-04 , 14:51
Changes remote batteries hourly

Unfortunately not possible, MC's security features won't allow it to work.

If close enough to one I suggest asking a Service Centre supervisor if they can do a physical or content transfer themselves, else you'll just have to manage on the old Explora in that quality until caught up.

You can run both Exploras together under XtraView until done at no additional cost.
Or put the old one on its own on a separate inexpensive EasyView package + the access fee, will then still allow viewing of recordings already made on a larger package.
Old 2016-04-04 , 14:53
MultiChoice

Hi there, if you take the Explora in to your nearest service centre, they can transfer the content from your old Explora to the new one for you.

Our security features allow for copy once from all decoders.
Old 2016-04-04 , 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Just to clarify - not in HD (unless MC are doing it for you).
Old 2016-04-04 , 15:20

BTW, to help prevent wear and tear on that new HDMI connection - an empty, good condition Lion matchbox fits well underneath the plug to help with support against gravity.
Also helps me to overcome the "pink screen" problem some experience at times.
Old 2016-04-04 , 16:10
Has to hide the DStv remote from the little one.

Quote:
Hi there, if you take the Explora in to your nearest service centre, they can transfer the content from your old Explora to the new one for you.

surely this is new, last time the service center at randburg gave a me look, a chuckle , and a resounding NO
Old 2016-04-06 , 06:55
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanj View Post
surely this is new, last time the service center at randburg gave a me look, a chuckle , and a resounding NO
My actual response got swallowed up by the forum-post-with-a-link-should-first-be-moderated rule. So if this becomes a double post, my apologies Copying of content was discussed before, and then became a sorry-no-can-do. If transfer of recordings by MC is possible, why wasn't it mentioned before ? That's one of the main reasons why people are reluctant to swop out faulty-ish decoders
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2016-04-06 , 07:45
MultiChoice

Hi there, if you search the forum, you'll find a post from about 2 years ago where we updated you on this - the rule is you can copy once from your decoder, either to another decoder or to an external device. Sometimes it is not possible to copy if the harddrive itself is faulty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2016-04-06 , 08:37
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Hi there, if you search the forum, you'll find a post from about 2 years ago where we updated you on this - the rule is you can copy once from your decoder, either to another decoder or to an external device. Sometimes it is not possible to copy if the harddrive itself is faulty.
If I could post forum links without it needing to be moderated I would do so . Instead , I'll relay the content. The last time this was referred to was 2015-10-06 in a thread with the title "PVR function on UEC 4T decoder" . In post #65 you stated the following :

Quote:
"You can copy content from your decoder (only the playlist ie own recordings, not Catch Up or BoxOffice) to an external device as follows:
This setting is carried in the video signal which comes out of the RCA or RF cable to your TV. If you connect your RCA or RF cable into a VCR the “Copy Once” information will be used by the VCR to determine whether it is allowed to record that video content.
The Pace 2 tuner decoder displays the word “copying” when you stick in a memory stick because the decoder is copying the details of the crash logs (whenever the decoder crashes and reboots). No video content is meant to be copied to the memory stick.
So apologies for the incorrect information - copying is possible just not through USB or external hard drive. It seems that it is not possible to make copies to these devices and still protect the content suppliers rights by blocking further copies. "
So the transfer of content is still grey. Does the above mean that you can transfer from PVR to PVR ?
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)

Last edited by Luke7777; 2016-04-06 at 08:43. .
Old 2016-04-06 , 08:53
MultiChoice

Yes that does mean you can copy from one to another - a bit of an involved process. Most of the time decoder swaps are needed due to hard drive failing, in that case content can't be copied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk