Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Best affordable ADSL
Old 2016-01-07 , 11:13
Changes remote batteries hourly

Thanks BB, good to get balanced info from both sides. Not sure why it would be private though, each to their own choices & opinions and posting them.
Good thing I'm not rushing this now, will research further and see.

Does anyone have free access to Dial-Up on their package (I think it's free with M-WEB)?
Don't stone me for being a caveman It's just an emergency-use consideration for when ADSL is rarely down. (We do have limited 3G options.)

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-01-07 at 11:16. .
Old 2016-01-07 , 12:39
Technical Myriad

I think dial up access is free on all ISPs now. Yes I still setup dial up access whenever I do anything on my PC, but to be honest, I have used it only once in the last 3 years.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2016-01-07 , 13:28
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Optimist I tried to send you a PM but you not talking to me.

Anyway, what I wanted to say off forum was that when looking at going the ADSL route Afrihost was one of those I looked at. I was put off them when my son-in-law, who works for an company that has lots of internet knowledgable people, advised that he was going with Axxess as Afrihost were no longer as good as they used to be. My son-in-law wasn't the only one in his company that decided to go with Axxess. Against this I have a friend who is with Afrihost and he's very happy being with them.

Prior to taking out my Axxess contract I was in communication with both Afrihost and Axxess and will say that they both responded to my questions in a favourable manner.

Not being sure I then went onto Hello Peter and saw a number of complaints against Afrihost in comparison to what was there for Axxess. This though could have simply been because Afrihost has(?) more users?

Guess you "pays your money and takes your choice". Bottom line I suppose is which one offers you the best data package. But maybe peruse the Hello Peter website for info as to what complaints people are having with whatever provider you may be considering?

BB, just to say Axxess is owned by Afrihost of which MTN have the 50%+1 share of Afrihost. Afrihost bought Axxess many years back now. They just working on different branding and unknowing people to think it is competition.
Afrihost and Axxess moved to their own network at end of last year off the overloaded network they were sharing with and managed by MTN Business.
Old 2016-01-07 , 16:59
4K, baby!

Just read through this thread and again realise what a rip-off communications services are in SA. Yip I am a victim of this when in SA with my "up to" 10Mbps service with MWEB. Short story ......

When we arrived in the UK this trip, our BT landline was not working (though broadband on the same cable was) I logged a fault on our own BT portal and the fault was repaired within 2 working days between Christmas and the New year, by a bright engineer who phoned me on my mobile before coming round and had the fault at the street cabinet fixed in under 2-hours. We gave him a cup of coffee and a South African rusk when he came back to check out the service at the house! Excellent service.

We also noticed that our package (BT Line, Broadband access and ISP Services) was due for "renegotiation"; that's what happens here, annually.

So I did some research and made some notes before calling BT with a sob story about not wanting to change SP and the hard numbers. Bottom line, they beat the cheapest quote I had (Talk-Talk), for the next year it will be much the same renegotiation process next year. Cost me a small amount of time and one Freephone call.

So we currently pay GBP 10.50 per month for broadband access & all ISP services including more email addresses that we could ever use. (BT Infinity Fibre to the Street) plus GBP 17.50 line rental. So that's 28 Quid -- call it 600 rands per month for the entire service including line rental free weekend calls, free Wi-Fi in all shopping centres etc.

Oh, I forgot to say, that's 38 Mbps download and 10Mbps upload and fully uncapped! (and we get those speeds consistently)

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2016-01-07 at 17:04. .
Old 2016-01-07 , 17:03
Technical Myriad

Value for money ! and the correct upload to download ratio thrown in as well!
Old 2016-01-07 , 17:10
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Value for money ! and the correct upload to download ratio thrown in as well!
Yip terrific value and great service, plus the TV and BT Sport options would be worthwhile if we spent more time here. Cheers, K.
Old 2016-01-07 , 20:09
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
BB, just to say Axxess is owned by Afrihost of which MTN have the 50%+1 share of Afrihost. Afrihost bought Axxess many years back now. They just working on different branding and unknowing people to think it is competition.
Afrihost and Axxess moved to their own network at end of last year off the overloaded network they were sharing with and managed by MTN Business.
Surprising news this and I'm therefore one of the unknowing people who thought they were two different companies. I can only surmise that although they are under one head office that they still operate pretty much independently of one another. Similar to Naspers owning both Mnet and DStv.

However thanks for this info GWalker.
Old 2017-04-28 , 15:27

Has anyone else seen this latest pamphlet from the country's chief cabling / fibre provider??
What a manipulative joke!

Telkom_bad bandwidth advice - resized.jpg

2 Mbps will usually more than do for SD streaming, 4 Mbps for HD.
And when there are problems more bandwidth often isn't the fix.
Such is also MC's recommendations.

Shame on you T, and where's the promised free upgrade from 2 to 4 for all users of 2 that was made years ago...
Old 2017-04-28 , 17:17
Technical Myriad

Ja I agree that it is trying to get us all off the lower end packages. But then, given the heated debates about streaming issues experiencing buffering I suppose it is a natural development.

Yes as we have seen from major corporates in SA, many promises never materialize.

I could technically benefit form an upgrade to VDSL, but then it seems pointless with fibre almost in our area to go for this upgrade, I might as well wait ....

I do fine on my 2 Mbps ADSL service thank you!
Old 2017-04-28 , 17:24

I suppose their main argument, along with their over cautious intro wording, will be multiple users of simultaneous streaming needs. I don't think that happens too often with most households (perhaps more where teenagers are present), and then they should make that factor clear in their "recommendations".