Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Best affordable ADSL
Old 2016-01-03 , 18:03
Changes remote batteries hourly

Question Best affordable ADSL

We've decided to upgrade our ADSL again, thought I'd share my discoveries as I know there are others here who want the basics for things like Explora CU+ but have considered them less than affordable.

Has anyone got better than the following that they've discovered elsewhere?

Note that all package prices mentioned do NOT include ADSL line rental.
(In our case it's a bit of a "cheat", the other side of our household takes care of the ADSL line expense as part of their special package from Telkom which makes it a really good deal.)

Been on M-WEB's 2 Mbps Uncapped @ R199 p/m - don't forget that this is ADSL data only. Has an unshaped / unthrottled soft-cap "limit" of 70GB p/m, based on fair usage - have never been made subject to this.

Now planning to upgrade to 4 Mbps @ R239 p/m, all the same except the "limit" would now be 110GB p/m - could easily then download around 20 HD CU+ movies a month, even just manage to stream them, pretty good for just R40 more

Other considerations;
New accounts get a free WiFi router, if willing to be a WiFi hotspot yourself (with no usage effect(?) or costs to you) you then get free WiFi access wherever available. Not something I like the idea of myself, and suspicious of the word "free" but sounds like quite a good deal.
But if you don't ask for it to be removed it is automatically enabled

Newcomers can also get 100GB p/m capped PLUS an extra 100GB p/m between 00:00 and 06:00 all for R199 p/m at the default Telkom supplied "speed" (usually 4 Mbps), but the after hours "free" 100GB is limited to the duration of the special Extra GB then cost a lot...

For those who don't need CU+ but want basic ADSL, it's now only R79 p/m for 1 Mbps Uncapped, and from what I've heard doesn't appear to have the "limit" of the bigger Uncapped packages mentioned, but don't quote me.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-01-03 at 18:50. . Reason: Tidy up, added re capped "speed"
Old 2016-01-04 , 09:25

Update:-

Just called to have my service upgraded to 4 Mbps Uncapped.
  • The price has been increased by R10 from Jan 1st., their webpages have not been updated yet. Did not enquire about any other price increases.
  • My line tests ok for 4 Mbps, BUT Telkom have neglected to upgrade it on their systems as per their wide announcement long ago. The delay dealing with this will cost at least 4 days, IF I can ever get through to them...

Yet more examples of the general poor service and attention to detail in our country these days
Old 2016-01-04 , 09:53

And the cherry on the cake...

According to Telkom it's not a free general upgrade I know I read about months ago, it would cost us an extra R134(?) p/m!!

Mistake or not, I'm not wasting my time further with this kr@p!
Old 2016-01-04 , 12:11
Changes remote batteries daily

We have just recently transferred our ADSL line from Telkom to MWeb. We have the 4mg Uncapped plus the line rental at R469.00

This end up cheaper than having the ADSL line with Telkom.
Old 2016-01-04 , 12:34

Thanks Liz. We've now re-examined the whole issue including the Telkom package in use and what's still wanted, still all now over budget so have decided to wait for better days.
Happy enough with what we've got for now, and it does look like the market is slowly improving.

I recall Telkom having some moan about lack of ADSL market interest and resultant cost factors later on, seems they did an about face which should be illegal IMO but I suppose at least they did the orig. 1 to 2 Mbps upgrade as published.
Old 2016-01-04 , 14:27
4K, baby!

Not sure if this is of any help to you but I get 10 gig plus a further 10 gig free data for R46 on an ADSL 2 MB line. This from a company called Axxess. So 20 gig a month for R46 which more than meets my needs.

I haven't yet linked my Explora to the internet so perhaps once I do so I may need to go for a package with more data.

So far I've not had any problems with Axxess and would suggest you take a look at what they offer.
Old 2016-01-04 , 15:32

Maybe look at Afrihost Capped as well. I've moved away from uncapped at lower speeds to capped at a high(er) speed. Performance on uncapped really sucks. I'm on a 150GB package, running on a 40Mbps VDSL line @ R299, with unlimited data between 00:00 and 06:00 . If you want to add their Plus option for R99 , it doubles your data and gives you access to the Simfy Africa music collection .

Note : my line stays with Telkom, allowing me to change ISPs without hassles, should the need arise
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)

Last edited by Luke7777; 2016-01-04 at 15:35. .
Old 2016-01-04 , 16:03

Thanks guys, it's the "hidden" higher line costs that have made us decide to stick with what we've got but will keep those ISP's in mind.

Luke, 40 Mbps would be completely wasted on us, like putting me in a race with college students - I would collapse after just 10% usage of the track
Old 2016-01-04 , 21:33

I was just pointing out that you might get a better deal with a capped line as opposed to an uncapped one. Don't just look at uncapped options. For instance, you can take the 75GB one for R199 (remember your after-midnight free data) Capped data aren't linked to line speed btw
40Mb VDSL (ISP AH Capped Unshaped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2016-01-04 , 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke7777 View Post
Capped data aren't linked to line speed btw
Supposedly yes, but who knows how fair Telkom ADSL line supply will play even with that. Thanks, am considering this route, but still unhappy with the way things have played out and I like how things have worked with M-WEB so not for a while again.