Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > Signal strength / quality on Explora
Old 2014-07-18 , 11:59
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Mack View Post
Sorry LNB ;-)

I am actually dreading the cable replacement, as there is a nasty Bougainvillea guarding the cables, gonna have to put my welding gloves for the exercise.

I do have a 60cm dish yes, if I need to upgrade to the 90cm then I can see my Explora going up for sale. The idea was replace the working HDPVR with the Explora and be smiling. This is not how it is going.....

Who sells the SamSAT LNB's? I see HD Cabling sells this: http://www.hdcabling.co.za/ku-band-t...rts-p-276.html
Which from the picture looks like a far higher quality item than the Ellies one
The issue is the HDPVR needs a 90cm to work properly, especially the HD channels. So having a dodgy install is not the Explora's fault. The fault is a dodgy/marginal install. Any decoder will give grief.
Old 2014-07-18 , 12:13
Still gets up to change channels

My issue is that the HDPVR has worked for a year faultlessly on the current install.
Never had issues with the HD channels or recording, signal quality was 98% and signal strength was 100%
Now to get the Explora to work is going to cost close to R1000 in equipment. *sigh*
Old 2014-07-18 , 14:59
Technical Myriad

Relax,

FIRST check that the antenna is pointed properly, that there isn't some issue with skew angle that did not affect the HD PVR but affect the Explora, and the cables. THEN start talking about replacing equipment.

IF you find you need to replace the LNB, only then do the antenna upgrade. If it is just a pointing and skew angle issue, you can postpone the antenna upgrade.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-07-18 , 15:03

I do hope so. Will fiddle on the weekend a replace step by step
Old 2014-07-24 , 09:49
Still listens to the wireless

Hi Stu,

Just to let you know I have the same issue with the new Explora and as far as I am concerned it is the Explora which is at fault (so I hope you didnt spend too much)

If the Explora is connected my signal strength is around 60/70%
If I connect the standard HD PVR to the same LNB cables / connections my signal strength goes up to 98%
The result is juddering on all the sport channels using the Explora, which is not there when the standard HD PVR is connected to the same TV and same connections to the dish.

I will be taking the explora in and will post the response.
Old 2014-07-24 , 10:36

Hi Geko

I have the exact same symptoms.

I had a chat to the guys at HD Cabling who suggest getting a 90cm dish, as they have had clients with the same complaints with 60cm dishes.
They also suggest its a good time to replace the LNB and the cabling - not sure if that is just salesman speak. The LNB is R209, the cabling around R350 and the dish R320.

I have not bought any of it as yet.
Old 2014-07-24 , 11:55
Technical Myriad

Just to set the record straight:

(1) MC have NEVER recommended or supported the use of 60 cm antennas. the specification has always been for a minimum antenna size of 90 cm.
(2) Secondly, It is only very recently that MC have stated that it is better for the future to make use of a quad LNB. Up until very recently, a TWIN LNB has been the recommendation for HD PVR installations.
Used with a MS, a TWIN LNB is currently adequate. An alternative has been to use SATCR LNBs, with 2 Legacy ports.
(3) MCs new recommendation for NEW installs after 1 August 2014, is to install a QUAD LNB, as this will provide flexibility when the new satellite comes on line in late 2015. It is NOT a requirement at the moment, so UNLESS you are planning to change an antenna, OR if a LNB goes faulty, there is NO immediate reason to rush out and replace LNBs.
(4) What we do know is the Explora is far more dependent on really good signal strengths and quality than any of the older decoders. Hence it is so easy to then point a finger at the installation whenever anyone complains.
(5) But there is plenty of evidence to show that the Explora decoder (hardware or software) is not blameless in all of these problems, even if the signal strength and quality values are perfect.

So if you think that just replacing the antenna, and the LNB, id going to make the current issue with judder etc. to go away, you are in for a disappointment --- the problem MAY go away, but there is NO guarantee that it will go away. What this change WILL allow is for you to be able to debunk any more accusations about your install being responsible and from up the view that the Explora decoder is the main issue .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Mack View Post
Hi Geko

I have the exact same symptoms.

I had a chat to the guys at HD Cabling who suggest getting a 90cm dish, as they have had clients with the same complaints with 60cm dishes.
They also suggest its a good time to replace the LNB and the cabling - not sure if that is just salesman speak. The LNB is R209, the cabling around R350 and the dish R320.

I have not bought any of it as yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geko View Post
Hi Stu,

Just to let you know I have the same issue with the new Explora and as far as I am concerned it is the Explora which is at fault (so I hope you didnt spend too much)

If the Explora is connected my signal strength is around 60/70%
If I connect the standard HD PVR to the same LNB cables / connections my signal strength goes up to 98%
The result is juddering on all the sport channels using the Explora, which is not there when the standard HD PVR is connected to the same TV and same connections to the dish.

I will be taking the explora in and will post the response.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2014-07-24 at 12:01. .
Old 2014-09-17 , 22:16
Changes remote batteries daily

My previous XtraView setup, a UEC 4T combined with a

UEC 2T, each gave me a 'full-house' for signal strength and quality readings.

In my new setup I replaced the UEC 4T with an Explora who's readings are:

(S Q) T1= 100 100; T2= 73 100; T3= 63 63 (view & rec chan 100),

(S Q) T1= 100 85; T2= 76 84; T3= 68 61 (view & rec chan 202),

with the UEC 2T still displaying the perfect readings.

I do not have issues associated with marginal installs.

I have not touched my 50 month-old install yet but feel the urge to tweak

the dish and skew angles to improve the readings.

Any comments welcome.
Old 2015-03-14 , 13:19
Still listens to the wireless

Exclamation Signal Issues...Urgent help needed

I have a pace 4T PVR and an Explora, My LNB is 4-way quad. the explora is the primary decoder and both have been in the living room. Actually since I got the explora, I haven't been using the Pace although once in a while, I use the pace to view previous recordings. However, problem started when 2 days ago I called an installer to help with extra view connection, I didn't want to always go to the living room to change channels because the RF out from the explora was connected to my TV in the bedroom. After Installation, the extra view didn't work. We thought it was a heartbeat signal issue. I notice the installer navigate to the network setting on the explora and then there was this display about network not found please check that your dish is properly installed.This morning I woke up to watch F1 and boom no signal at all. I called the installer and he assumed it was the LNB we changed it and yet no signal. I had to borrow the small decoder from my neighbour and when he tried it, the signal strenght and quality was 98/100% but when the pace or explora is connected, signal is zero. However, once is a long while, the explora with display signals strength and quality of 67/63% and the disappear. the pictures on the screen will show briefly and then breaks.

Please help!
Old 2015-06-20 , 22:00

Hi all,I installed my Explora today coming from a 2 Tuner HD Pvr. 80cm dish with smart LNB. Signal strength on both tuners on the HD Pvr was 98% with quality on 100%. On the Explora tuner 1 is on 89% strength with quality only 83% and tuner 3 is only 72 strength and 60% quality. I am not sure why the values are so different between the 2 decoders. Should I align my dish better for the Explora to improve the signal values?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk