Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > Safety net Settings & EPG errors
Old 2017-05-10 , 11:13
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Safety net Settings & EPG errors

We just returned home from 3 week down in the Cape.

We left the Explora 2A powered up and hoped that it would record all our scheduled series recordings. The safety net settings is sett at the default setting of +1 -1.

I am glad to report that all the recordings took place with no little yellow triangles or failed recordings on the list. Not bad taking in account that there were around 30 odd recordings.

So far the only problem found was the recording of NCIS LA of 20 April contained some 12 minutes of "My kitchen rules" and the recording ended 4 minutes early. The missing 4 minutes were recorded on the recording of Taken scheduled directly after the NCS LA recording. This indicate another EPG error. ? The change not made or made too late for the decoded to negotiate the change.

This vindicate my believe that the default safety net settings and event tracking should take care of the scheduled recordings provided that the EPG is kept up to date by MC.

I know the EPG problem is receiving urgent attention from posts in other threads, hopefully it will get sorted out soon.
Old 2017-05-10 , 12:04
Changes remote batteries hourly

Hi Jan, so good to hear of your away from home success - I believe the EPG has made great improvement strides in the last year or so (barring the more recent minute or two adjustments so disliked).

One thing we'll continue to disagree about is the duration of safety nets, up to each person of course but here's some gained understanding for readers of the thread, especially forum newbies who may not have enough of the picture to make the best decision for themselves;

At least half a dozen of us forum seniors regularly push for the safety net maximums to be increased well beyond the 10 minutes offered.
Why? We've got over 10 years of experience working with them, and know only too well that some channels cannot be relied on for accuracy and that all channels have broadcast breakdowns from time to time which usually create shortish delays of a few minutes.

Many Forumites can detail how their longer safety nets saved them from failure quite a few times.
Best to also mention here as well, as discussed elsewhere there's no danger of them ever interfering with "overlapping" supposedly possible to be caused by them. Certainly it's not a known problem for any others here in any reports, never has been in all the years on this forum.
Only one disadvantage for some - those who record a lot could do without the extra recording capacity being used up, an unfortunate standard side effect.

Here's hoping for a quick resolution to the last minute tweaking that's been causing disruptions again, good to hear it's being attended to and I for one would like to see the practice permanently banned.
Old 2017-05-10 , 19:50
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Maybe I am not clear what I mean by back to back recording conflict recording errors caused by the 3-10 safety net settings.
Where back to back recordings are scheduled on the same channel the decoder will ignore the safety net settings and record both scheduled recordings
Where I have experienced conflict errors is where the recordings are scheduled on two different channels. The decoder sees the 3-10 safety net as a 13 minute overlap on the one recording and then cancel the recording.
Old 2017-05-10 , 20:07
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Horn View Post
Where I have experienced conflict errors is where the recordings are scheduled on two different channels. The decoder sees the 3-10 safety net as a 13 minute overlap on the one recording and then cancel the recording.
I have not experienced this ever - safety nets have had no impact on my recordings - irrespective of whether on the same or different channels. I am 99% convinced you will find EPG changes to be the cause of your problems - even though you might not be aware of this.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-05-11 , 09:24
Technical Myriad

I agree with Krugie.

One has to be very careful about transferring the experience we are all used with the older decoders over on to the Explora decoders.

Last minute EPG changes are the single biggest cause of these hassles with failed recordings on all decoders. On the older decoders, there was/is a cut off time after which any EPG changes that come through are not processed by the decoders, get ignored, and then you get some strange effects.

On the Exploras, we have been led to believe that last minute EPG changes can be processed by the sw, but there must still be a point after which even on the Exploras, changes will be ignored.

On the SD PVR, I use RBRs (MRs) exclusively, because that way I am absolutely sure I get recorded what I want and regularly change the safety nets to suit the requirement.

On the HD PVR, I make use of its SBR settings on channel e-TV regularly because e-V have a very consistent approach as to how they load their EPG info and they maintain their scheduling pretty accurately. But what "saves" those setting very often is because the HD PVR is a 4 tuner decoder with dual recording capability.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-05-16 , 14:37
Knows how to use a remote

Hello

We're aware of the problems you're experiencing and a task team of people from various departments are working to resolve the issues as soon as possible. There are a number of different things happening simultaneously. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused with recordings.