Forum > Broadcast Errors > Broadcast Errors > Incorrect logo use (Dolby)
Old 2017-04-03 , 12:45
MultiChoice

Can I ask Simon how you feel it should be displayed?
Old 2017-04-03 , 18:44
Changes remote batteries daily

I think, Marietjie, that my original post was fairly self explanatory.

There is also a link to the Dolby page describing quite clearly the terms of use.
Old 2017-04-04 , 16:14

The problem is the separate letter D being displayed after the Dolby logo - that is not approved usage.

The suggestion is that it should show DD 5.1 where surround sound is available and just DD (without the D at the end) where it is Dolby 2.0. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (22.8 KB, 12 views)
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-04-04 , 17:15
MultiChoice

Thanks folks, i have alerted the relevant teams with your excellent detailed feedback.
Old 2017-04-06 , 08:54
MultiChoice

Folks, I've spoken to the team who are responsible for this. They tell me that Dolby actually approved the usage of the logo as is to represent both 2.0 and 5.1. This logo is not sent out with broadcast but lives in the software of the decoder - there is a cue given to display the logo in a specific spot. So any changes needed will take software development across all our decoders (both old and new) which is a very lengthy process.

They have, however, taken note of your requests and concerns and will let me know if they can work this into the decoder development roadmaps.
Old 2017-04-06 , 10:47

Thanks MoM - as Simon has mentioned - there is a HUGE difference between DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 - even bigger than between Dolby and non-Dolby - so some indication has to be given as to which one of the two it is.

Dolby 2.0 is basically just crisper stereo sound while Dolby 5.1 is full surrounds sound playing over 5 speakers - DVD quality.

Are you SURE though that the logo is approved WITH the extra D placed after the logo? According to the Dolby document just the logo on it's own represents all forms of Dolby digital - there is no mention anywhere of an extra D after the logo. The logo (which contains two D's - stands for "Dolby Digital" so what does the extra )3rd) D stand for/represent?
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.

Last edited by Krugie; 2017-04-06 at 10:50. .
Old 2017-04-06 , 11:49
MultiChoice

Yes we are very sure that we had approval for the logo with the D next to it - Dolby created it for us to represent both Dolby formats. And yes we agree that there is a huge difference between the two - as I said, not so simple to update that logo as it involves software developments on all our decoders.
Old 2017-04-06 , 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Yes we are very sure that we had approval for the logo with the D next to it - Dolby created it for us to represent both Dolby formats. And yes we agree that there is a huge difference between the two - as I said, not so simple to update that logo as it involves software developments on all our decoders.
I would be very surprised if this were the case. I have never seen this implementation of their logo anywhere. That they "created it" specifically for DSTV to use for both 5.1 and 2.0 which are so completely different sounds awfully suspicious.

Furthermore, there is almost no point in advertising a 2.0 soundtrack anyway. Advertise DD5.1 as the guidelines clearly show and as Krugie highlighted.

DDD is just plain odd. ;-)

Last edited by Simon; 2017-04-06 at 15:59. . Reason: Removed option
Old 2017-04-11 , 13:12

Even the onscreen notification is incorrect. The one that is displayed when a movie starts.