Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > The DStv WiFi Connector
Closed Thread  
Old 2014-12-16 , 08:28
Still gets up to change channels

Got a second Wi-Fi connector for my Explora in the bedroom. Set it up correctly using the manual setup version as I did with the first one. The power light goes white but the Wireless light never lights up. Checking the connectivity tester, it says that there is both links to the router & internet but Catch-up Plus titles never show.
I tried swapping my 2 connectors around, and almost immediately Catch-up Plus started showing on my bedroom Explora. With the new one connected to the lounge decoder, there is still no Wireless light and most of the Catch-up Plus titles are now just DSTV logo's instead of cover art.
Old 2014-12-16 , 09:54
Changes remote batteries daily

Default Marketing

As suspected, I'm starting to see confusion about this device. A colleague told me yesterday that he was off to buy an Explora and the little attachment to connect to the internet.

I asked him why he didn't just use a R10 ethernet cable.

"You can do that?"

I wonder how many others are out there.

Last edited by Simon; 2014-12-16 at 09:55. . Reason: Grammar
Old 2014-12-16 , 12:49

No issue with it when it works, but when the router is about 20m away with lots of corners, it makes sense to have a wireless option!
Old 2014-12-17 , 02:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmts View Post
No issue with it when it works, but when the router is about 20m away with lots of corners, it makes sense to have a wireless option!
Absolutely. The confusion is that in this particular case there wasn't a need. But it's not obvious that the WiFi Connector is only IF one doesn't have ethernet available.
Old 2014-12-17 , 07:14

@Simon. If you enjoy Ethernet cables trailing all over your house or installing trunking throughout or laying cables in the ceiling then knock yourself out. I enjoy the clean, uncluttered look. BTW, how much would 20+ metres of Ethernet cable + trunking + time or labour cost? The connector is R350 at Takealot.
Old 2014-12-17 , 08:45
Technical Myriad

Its about performance and service quality ............ There is NOTHING to beat wired connections for long term quality and reliability.

Wi-Fi comes off a very poor second best. So I think Simon and I are both hell bent on ensuring High quality. I installed a duct system in my home about 25 years ago, which was for the security system at the time, but I catered for LAN, RF, security and UPS power. I am now in the process of replacing the copper based Ethernet with optic fibre distribution.

I use "wireless" ONLY for the "last inch" and only when it makes sense to use it.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2014-12-18 , 08:11

I totally get it about quality & performance that Ethernet gives, however, I'm renting and I'm not permitted to drill to install trunking or ductwork so I had to go for the wireless option.
Downloaded a 972Mb movie from Catch-up Plus this morning via the wireless connector and it took 28 minutes and quality is good. However for anyone that doesn't know, all the downloads are SD.

I think it's a great affordable option for the person who cannot make holes in walls to install plugs for trunking or for the DIY challenged!
Old 2014-12-18 , 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmts View Post
I think it's a great affordable option for the person who cannot make holes in walls to install plugs for trunking or for the DIY challenged!
Agreed. Although wires (as Geoff mentioned) are always the best.

HOWEVER. What you're completely missing from my point is that the person involved thought that the dongle was required for internet access. In his case, a 30cm ethernet cable would have sufficed.
Closed Thread