Forum > Content > General > Feedback on closedown of M-Edge
Old 2017-06-29 , 19:41
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revorushin View Post
A poll is of no value as this forum isn't exactly representative of the subscriber Base.
I probably shouldn't mention this here. But I do freelance work for one of our local market research companies and I can tell you that the loss of Edge pi$$ed a lot of folks off across the board, not just your typical forum demographic
Look what they made, they made it for me, happy technology.
Old 2017-06-29 , 20:26
Knows how to use a remote

The loss of Edge was one of the worst moves, in terms of DSTV, I can remember. I guess it depends on what one prefers to watch, but Edge was probably my most watched channel.

Despite assurances to the contrary, the impact was immediate. Shows like Elementary were ridiculously delayed while the frantic games of Tetris required to cram everything into one channel contributed to the extended nightmare many of us had with the electronic tv guide (or whatever the new term is for what I used to call the EPG) and missed recordings. At the same time, the reduced number of 'fresh from the US' broadcasts (I know this is a slightly different, but related, issue) meant we no longer got series like Billions in good time.

With everything jammed into one schedule the knock-on effects of a reality show or something overrunning cause massive problems.
Old 2017-06-30 , 10:32
Knows how to use a remote

Bring something like edge back.
Old 2017-06-30 , 10:35

Call it perhaps (m-net 2) or mnet extra)

Explora
Old 2017-06-30 , 10:58
MultiChoice

I want to caution you again pls, we are not planning to add more M-Net branded channels at all. I don't want you to have unrealistic expectations here that if you keep posting that M-Net will add a channel. While it is important to us to listen to what our customers want, we still need to balance that out with the economic realities of our business.
Old 2017-06-30 , 11:03
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
That is the only benefit I can find as well - all the rest are negatives as far as I am concerned. All of this has been pointed out and confirmed by various posts over the last couple of weeks.

And these are just some reasons I can think of right now:
  • Less new content (despite what MC is saying/believing) - can be seen by the long waiting periods for some seasons such as Elementary)
  • Late night prime time is (for most people) not prime time, it is sleep time
  • New episodes/shows premiering after midnight, sometimes finishing after 02h00am (no comments yet from MC)
  • Less choice - if the night is filled with 3 different series of NCIS back-to-back and I am not a fan of the franchise then I no longer have a 2nd M-Net channel to tune to for alternative shows
  • With the majority of M-Net shows that I personally watch having been on M-Net Edge, I find that on many nights there are nothing on M-Net that I want t watch until well after 21h00
Agree with above.
Old 2017-06-30 , 11:21
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
...we still need to balance that out with the economic realities of our business.
If that had been mentioned in the first place perhaps there would have been some understanding of M-Net & co.'s difficulties. We all know that times are economically hard.
Instead we were spun a whole story about it being for our benefit (perhaps initially believed so by some at the channel).

---------

I think we've made our points now folks, I for one want no part in causing a major disturbance which would end up fruitless and would just make our efforts to change what we can harder.

If this thread gets out of control I will delete it (I'm the OP), or MC Marietjie can.
Sorry, but I'm not here to be destructively popular, rather to achieve something.
Old 2017-06-30 , 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
I want to caution you again pls, we are not planning to add more M-Net branded channels at all. I don't want you to have unrealistic expectations here that if you keep posting that M-Net will add a channel. While it is important to us to listen to what our customers want, we still need to balance that out with the economic realities of our business.
Thanks MoM - understood - but can someone from MC/M-Net please comment as to why we have to have new content being broadcast well past midnight when any normal person is asleep as pointed out in another post (M-Net on 17 July). And why this doesn't show that M-Net is trying to squeeze too much content into one channel?

Quote:
This means new episodes of Falling Water & Modus will air at 00h45 and 01h50 in the morning???? So we now have prime time and premieres until 02h30 in the morning... on a Monday night... in winter... when we are obviously all glued to our TVs... And the only repeat of Modus is also after 01h00 in the morning.
DSTV Explora (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary), Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI Picture and Audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. RF connection from Explora & HDPVR 2P to bedroom for Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2017-06-30 , 11:38

Agreed Krugie, my biggest concern at the moment (also posted by you) is why there needs to be THREE episodes of one series back-to-back which has caused everything else following that night to run so late.
Old 2017-06-30 , 13:06

Here's an idea that's come to me out of the blue - share a bit of the adult content between the channels, even if that means some re-branding.

Some of the less sensitive content could be shifted to the daylight hours.
I've just had a quick look at this weekend's scheduling for Vuzu and Vuzu Amp - for Vuzu I found that most of the later night content on tonight and Sunday night is PG13 age restricted or less, and on Vuzu Amp the same applies to Sunday night. (I didn't look further.)