Forum > Value Added Services > BoxOffice > BO likes / dislikes
Old 2016-02-08 , 13:04
4K, baby!

Both the Martian and Spectre are excellent movies.
But you've really missed out on the experience if you did not see them on the BIG screen; preferably in IMAX

Cheers, K.
Old 2016-02-08 , 22:13
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Both the Martian and Spectre are excellent movies.
But you've really missed out on the experience if you did not see them on the BIG screen; preferably in IMAX

Cheers, K.
At the prices they charge for the IMAX experience I'll just put my chair a bit nearer to my tv screen. The money saved will make up for the smaller screen.
Old 2016-02-09 , 15:16
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
At the prices they charge for the IMAX experience I'll just put my chair a bit nearer to my tv screen. The money saved will make up for the smaller screen.
I think I've mentioned this in the Lounge before, but IMAX is more than just a big screen. IMAX is actually a combination "experience" of screen, sound design, seating arrangements and other technical stuff that I won't even pretend to know anything about.

In my books, IMAX is definitely worth the extra money. Although...if it was a toss-up between IMAX and Cine Prestige...well...you all know where I stand on that one
Old 2016-02-09 , 15:58
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
I think I've mentioned this in the Lounge before, but IMAX is more than just a big screen. IMAX is actually a combination "experience" of screen, sound design, seating arrangements and other technical stuff that I won't even pretend to know anything about.

In my books, IMAX is definitely worth the extra money. Although...if it was a toss-up between IMAX and Cine Prestige...well...you all know where I stand on that one
I'm in violent agreement with you Nic!
We now have a very simple decision tree for deciding how to watch movies.

MODERN EPICS AND MADE FOR IMAX: recent examples -- The Martian, Interstellar, LOTR, Spectre, Gravity, Star Wars - the force awakens A Beautiful Planet (COMING SOON): IMAX where possible else Cine Prestige, if no IMAX available.

ANY OTHER MUST SEE MOVIES: recent examples -- Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, The Theory of everything, The Imitation Game: Cine Prestige else wait for DSTV Box-Office.

ANYTHING ELSE: Wait for DSTV Box Ofice: don't bother with regular cinemas with popcorn munching, cola slurping, constantly-talking, texting & phone-answering, my-space-encroaching, unhygienic, knee-in-the-back, overly tall people, who are guaranteed to be seated next to, behind, or directly in front of me

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2016-02-09 at 16:06. .
Old 2016-02-13 , 13:52
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
I'm in violent agreement with you Nic!
We now have a very simple decision tree for deciding how to watch movies.

MODERN EPICS AND MADE FOR IMAX: recent examples -- The Martian, Interstellar, LOTR, Spectre, Gravity, Star Wars - the force awakens A Beautiful Planet (COMING SOON): IMAX where possible else Cine Prestige, if no IMAX available.

ANY OTHER MUST SEE MOVIES: recent examples -- Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, The Theory of everything, The Imitation Game: Cine Prestige else wait for DSTV Box-Office.

ANYTHING ELSE: Wait for DSTV Box Ofice: don't bother with regular cinemas with popcorn munching, cola slurping, constantly-talking, texting & phone-answering, my-space-encroaching, unhygienic, knee-in-the-back, overly tall people, who are guaranteed to be seated next to, behind, or directly in front of me

Cheers, K.
Sandtonman, am fully in agreement with your comments. Unfortunately, my mind cannot get around the cost of a ticket for an Imax show. I'm still living in the old 50 cents a ticket realm. A Dr Who moment perhaps?

I will, no doubt, go watch another Imax type film sometime in the future but to even consider doing so once a month is just not on for me. Would rather wait for the film to be shown on DStv or go out and buy the dvd to add to my collection. But I'll definitely agree with all that watching a film in Imax is far superior than watching on the tv. It's the financial aspects that affect me.
Old 2016-02-13 , 21:33
Changes remote batteries hourly

Another factor is that some of us like being couch potatoes, somewhat sad but true.
Reminds me that I need to get a bit of exercise again
Old 2016-04-29 , 10:39

I see that Creed will be on BO from Mon. 9 May.

According to the synopsis it will be yet another episode of sorts of Rocky...
Is old Sylvester never going to move on??
Might just watch it out of odd fascination anyway.
Old 2016-05-13 , 09:49

I watched Creed - Stallone acted well and isn't an old and still competing boxer this time, he's the desired trainer. Good enough, the Rocky magic lives on and it's a fair to good story.

Another unusual one is The Big Short - I'm mentioning it as it's not for everyone, those with no interest in banking / financial industry / housing issues would probably find it too technically detailed as it takes quite a bit of concentrating for us financial laymen.
But if of interest it explains a lot generally and about the housing market crash of a few years ago, a fascinating tale based on fact about those involved and those who benefited with plenty of moral dilemmas and other insights.

Looking forward to The Revenant, anyone seen it already? And Dirty Grandpa of course
Old 2016-10-07 , 09:25

For anyone who is considering hiring the new BO movie Hardcore Henry - if you're not into gaming with its first-person endlessly fast moving virtual reality scenes or into the "sport" of parkour then it's not recommended.
Also a too thin storyline IMHO, although some of the graphic detail of the visuals were impressive.
We were really disappointed.
Old 2017-06-19 , 18:04

For science fans, especially those interested in space travel history - one of the best BO movies I've seen in a long time is the easy to miss Hidden Figures.

Not only a fascinating story about the unknown past multiracial and sexist side of NASA and some of the USA's states in general, but also an unusual in depth look into the behind the scenes workings that led to early successes.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-19 at 18:06. .