Forum > Value Added Services > BoxOffice > BO likes / dislikes
Reply  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 2016-02-08 , 13:04
Sandtonman's Avatar
Sandtonman Sandtonman is offline
4K, baby!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Morningside, Sandton or Ashford, Kent; seasonal
Posts: 4,370
Both the Martian and Spectre are excellent movies.
But you've really missed out on the experience if you did not see them on the BIG screen; preferably in IMAX

Cheers, K.
__________________
Lounge: Dual LNB feed, 24-1Z Switch, Explora-2, LG 49" S-UHD TV, HDMI + Fibre audio, Pioneer HT Amp, Tannoy S8s x 5, 5 15" Tannoy Sub. Home Theatre PC, Chromecast
Bedroom: Unicable Feeds from lounge: 2 x Explora-1s, Sony V-Series TV, HDMI + Fibre audio, Sony Blu-ray HT System, Slingbox Solo; Chromecast
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 2016-02-08 , 22:13
beetle bailey's Avatar
beetle bailey beetle bailey is offline
4K, baby!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brackenfell, Western Cape
Posts: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Both the Martian and Spectre are excellent movies.
But you've really missed out on the experience if you did not see them on the BIG screen; preferably in IMAX

Cheers, K.
At the prices they charge for the IMAX experience I'll just put my chair a bit nearer to my tv screen. The money saved will make up for the smaller screen.
__________________
Explora (Primary) and 2P HD Decoder (Secondary); Twin LNB; Samsung HT-J5550 Home Theatre System, Sony KLV-32S400A tv and Sony KLV-22Bx320 tv.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 2016-02-09 , 15:16
MC Nic's Avatar
MC Nic MC Nic is offline
MultiChoice
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Randburg
Posts: 4,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
At the prices they charge for the IMAX experience I'll just put my chair a bit nearer to my tv screen. The money saved will make up for the smaller screen.
I think I've mentioned this in the Lounge before, but IMAX is more than just a big screen. IMAX is actually a combination "experience" of screen, sound design, seating arrangements and other technical stuff that I won't even pretend to know anything about.

In my books, IMAX is definitely worth the extra money. Although...if it was a toss-up between IMAX and Cine Prestige...well...you all know where I stand on that one
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 2016-02-09 , 15:58
Sandtonman's Avatar
Sandtonman Sandtonman is offline
4K, baby!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Morningside, Sandton or Ashford, Kent; seasonal
Posts: 4,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
I think I've mentioned this in the Lounge before, but IMAX is more than just a big screen. IMAX is actually a combination "experience" of screen, sound design, seating arrangements and other technical stuff that I won't even pretend to know anything about.

In my books, IMAX is definitely worth the extra money. Although...if it was a toss-up between IMAX and Cine Prestige...well...you all know where I stand on that one
I'm in violent agreement with you Nic!
We now have a very simple decision tree for deciding how to watch movies.

MODERN EPICS AND MADE FOR IMAX: recent examples -- The Martian, Interstellar, LOTR, Spectre, Gravity, Star Wars - the force awakens A Beautiful Planet (COMING SOON): IMAX where possible else Cine Prestige, if no IMAX available.

ANY OTHER MUST SEE MOVIES: recent examples -- Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, The Theory of everything, The Imitation Game: Cine Prestige else wait for DSTV Box-Office.

ANYTHING ELSE: Wait for DSTV Box Ofice: don't bother with regular cinemas with popcorn munching, cola slurping, constantly-talking, texting & phone-answering, my-space-encroaching, unhygienic, knee-in-the-back, overly tall people, who are guaranteed to be seated next to, behind, or directly in front of me

Cheers, K.
__________________
Lounge: Dual LNB feed, 24-1Z Switch, Explora-2, LG 49" S-UHD TV, HDMI + Fibre audio, Pioneer HT Amp, Tannoy S8s x 5, 5 15" Tannoy Sub. Home Theatre PC, Chromecast
Bedroom: Unicable Feeds from lounge: 2 x Explora-1s, Sony V-Series TV, HDMI + Fibre audio, Sony Blu-ray HT System, Slingbox Solo; Chromecast

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2016-02-09 at 16:06. .
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 2016-02-13 , 13:52
beetle bailey's Avatar
beetle bailey beetle bailey is offline
4K, baby!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brackenfell, Western Cape
Posts: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
I'm in violent agreement with you Nic!
We now have a very simple decision tree for deciding how to watch movies.

MODERN EPICS AND MADE FOR IMAX: recent examples -- The Martian, Interstellar, LOTR, Spectre, Gravity, Star Wars - the force awakens A Beautiful Planet (COMING SOON): IMAX where possible else Cine Prestige, if no IMAX available.

ANY OTHER MUST SEE MOVIES: recent examples -- Brooklyn, Bridge of Spies, The Theory of everything, The Imitation Game: Cine Prestige else wait for DSTV Box-Office.

ANYTHING ELSE: Wait for DSTV Box Ofice: don't bother with regular cinemas with popcorn munching, cola slurping, constantly-talking, texting & phone-answering, my-space-encroaching, unhygienic, knee-in-the-back, overly tall people, who are guaranteed to be seated next to, behind, or directly in front of me

Cheers, K.
Sandtonman, am fully in agreement with your comments. Unfortunately, my mind cannot get around the cost of a ticket for an Imax show. I'm still living in the old 50 cents a ticket realm. A Dr Who moment perhaps?

I will, no doubt, go watch another Imax type film sometime in the future but to even consider doing so once a month is just not on for me. Would rather wait for the film to be shown on DStv or go out and buy the dvd to add to my collection. But I'll definitely agree with all that watching a film in Imax is far superior than watching on the tv. It's the financial aspects that affect me.
__________________
Explora (Primary) and 2P HD Decoder (Secondary); Twin LNB; Samsung HT-J5550 Home Theatre System, Sony KLV-32S400A tv and Sony KLV-22Bx320 tv.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 2016-02-13 , 21:33
Optimist's Avatar
Optimist Optimist is offline
Changes remote batteries hourly
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: N/E JHB , Orig. Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,329
Another factor is that some of us like being couch potatoes, somewhat sad but true.
Reminds me that I need to get a bit of exercise again
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 2016-04-29 , 10:39
Optimist's Avatar
Optimist Optimist is offline
Changes remote batteries hourly
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: N/E JHB , Orig. Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,329
I see that Creed will be on BO from Mon. 9 May.

According to the synopsis it will be yet another episode of sorts of Rocky...
Is old Sylvester never going to move on??
Might just watch it out of odd fascination anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 2016-05-13 , 09:49
Optimist's Avatar
Optimist Optimist is offline
Changes remote batteries hourly
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: N/E JHB , Orig. Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,329
I watched Creed - Stallone acted well and isn't an old and still competing boxer this time, he's the desired trainer. Good enough, the Rocky magic lives on and it's a fair to good story.

Another unusual one is The Big Short - I'm mentioning it as it's not for everyone, those with no interest in banking / financial industry / housing issues would probably find it too technically detailed as it takes quite a bit of concentrating for us financial laymen.
But if of interest it explains a lot generally and about the housing market crash of a few years ago, a fascinating tale based on fact about those involved and those who benefited with plenty of moral dilemmas and other insights.

Looking forward to The Revenant, anyone seen it already? And Dirty Grandpa of course
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 2016-10-07 , 09:25
Optimist's Avatar
Optimist Optimist is offline
Changes remote batteries hourly
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: N/E JHB , Orig. Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,329
For anyone who is considering hiring the new BO movie Hardcore Henry - if you're not into gaming with its first-person endlessly fast moving virtual reality scenes or into the "sport" of parkour then it's not recommended.
Also a too thin storyline IMHO, although some of the graphic detail of the visuals were impressive.
We were really disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 2017-06-19 , 18:04
Optimist's Avatar
Optimist Optimist is offline
Changes remote batteries hourly
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: N/E JHB , Orig. Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,329
For science fans, especially those interested in space travel history - one of the best BO movies I've seen in a long time is the easy to miss Hidden Figures.

Not only a fascinating story about the unknown past multiracial and sexist side of NASA and some of the USA's states in general, but also an unusual in depth look into the behind the scenes workings that led to early successes.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-06-19 at 18:06. .
Reply With Quote
Reply  
« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads  | You may not post replies  | You may not post attachments  | You may not edit your posts
BB code is On  | Smilies are On  | [IMG] code is On  | HTML code is Off
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD PVR attempting DL any time it likes Genesistt HD PVR 35 2011-04-13 10:37