Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Suggestion on Catch Up Content
Old 2013-08-24 , 22:11
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Suggestion on Catch Up Content

I have a suggestion. How about asking the punters what they'd like to have on their respective decoder for their Catch up. i suppose you have numbers of viewerships but there are people like me who wait until the weekend to watch series whilst doing a spot of cleaning.

Off the top of my head for my HD PvR:

Big Bang Theory
Anger Management
The Fixer
Newsroom
Under the dome
Ray Donovan
Castle
Mentalist
CSI
30 Rock
Mike and Molly
Criminal minds
Covert Affairs
True Blood
Once upon a time
Hawaii 5-0
Army wives
CSI NY
Two and a half men
Goodwin Games
Body of Proof
Suits
Keeping up with the Kardashians (JUST KIDDING DON'T GET TOO EXCITED!)
Mad Men
Masterchef
Supernatural
Veep

Just a suggestion....
Old 2013-08-24 , 22:15
Changes remote batteries hourly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo497 View Post
I have a suggestion. How about asking the punters what they'd like to have on their respective decoder for their Catch up. i suppose you have numbers of viewerships but there are people like me who wait until the weekend to watch series whilst doing a spot of cleaning.

Off the top of my head for my HD PvR:

Big Bang Theory
Anger Management
The Fixer
Newsroom
Under the dome
Ray Donovan
Castle
Mentalist
CSI
30 Rock
Mike and Molly
Criminal minds
Covert Affairs
True Blood
Once upon a time
Hawaii 5-0
Army wives
CSI NY
Two and a half men
Goodwin Games
Body of Proof
Suits
Keeping up with the Kardashians (JUST KIDDING DON'T GET TOO EXCITED!)
Mad Men
Masterchef
Supernatural
Veep

Just a suggestion....
Most of those on the Explora
Old 2013-08-24 , 22:18
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

I don't have an explora and won't be getting one anytime soon.
Old 2013-08-26 , 09:23
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flojo497 View Post
Morning Flojo497,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'd like to explain Catch Up content in a little more detail for you so that you understand how it works and why we are unable to send individual shows to individual PVRs.

Satellite is a one-way communication. We send content to the satellite and it is broadcast to your PVR. There is currently no way for your PVR to "talk back" to our systems via the satellite - we call this a "return path".

If it was possible for PVRs to have a return path via the satellite, it would be possible to allow you to cherry pick whatever shows you would like to see on Catch Up - obviously depending on whether we have cleared the VOD licensing rights from the studios and there is sufficient hard drive capacity on your PVR.

Currently, the only way we can make Catch Up and BoxOffice content available on PVRs via a "package" of pre-determined and pre-rights-cleared content that is broadcast via the satellite to ALL PVRs.

If you are a Premium subscriber, the content is de-crypted by your smart card and is available for you to watch.

The system is very similar on Explora, but obviously the bigger hard drive allows us to make more available - but we are still bound by the licensing rights afforded us by the studios.

I understand that next year the Ethernet connection on Exploras will be opened up, giving us that much-needed return path via ADSL, which will give customers a lot more flexibility to manage their VOD content and what they do or don't want to see.

With all that said, I'll definitely send your list on to our content team for consideration. We public feedback does contribute to what shows are selected to be made available on Catch Up.

Hope this clears things up a bit for you.

MC Nic.
Old 2013-08-26 , 09:34
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
........There is currently no way for your PVR to "talk back" to our systems via the satellite - we call this a "return path".

If it was possible for PVRs to have a return path via the satellite, ......
MC Nic.
Just to emphasize,

It is impossible to have a "return path via satellite" without a full VSAT service.

So the next best thing is a "return path via Terrestrial" of which there are few that have been tried/will be tried again. The first was 'dial up Internet access' tried and failed rather dramatically in many countries. The "new" ideas are:

(a) via a cellular SMS service (GSM chip and SC needed in decoder)
(b) via a cellular data service (ditto)
(c) via a wifi/wimax/ LTE etc. (transmit/ receiver needed with a SC)
(d) via ADSL (Internet access point)

All of these depend on equipment being installed in the decoders, which so far seems to have not caught on very well anywhere in the World and paticularaly slow on SA.

But we live in hope!
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2013-08-26 at 09:36. .