Forum > Content > General > New: info on epg
Old 2017-07-08 , 08:59
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
New means just that - new and not seen before.
Marketing loves to play fast and loose with all sorts of words. Many broadcasters (including DSTV) include words like "Premier", "New", "First Time", without clarifying what they actually mean.

For example.

New : First airing of episode on DSTV, but not necessarily first airing in the region.
New : First airing of season on DSTV, but not necessarily first airing of episode.
New : First showing on a channel, but not necessarily first airing on DSTV.

But, moving to implementation.

Looking at the Online Guide (Which, by the way, is awesome with the blue New tag) ...

Superhuman's first airing on Saturday evening has the new tag on it. The repeat the following morning has a new tag on it too. Confusing.

But, again, why not think of these things as TAGS ... ?

It's so simple. Add "NEW" tag, or "LIVE" as flags in the database. The software would check that only one instance occurs of each.

The online guide would have a lovely "NEW", or "LIVE" icon added.
The DSTV Now app, would have the same.
The icon could also be added to the EPG description on the Explore over time.

The TITLE pushed to to the various decoders would have NEW or LIVE tagged at the END of the title.

We read from left to right, it's so hard to see a title with NEW in front of it.

Last edited by Simon; 2017-07-08 at 13:08. . Reason: Grammar
Old 2017-07-08 , 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
It does impact on Sorting though when it is at the beginning of the title - if one makes use of that.
Exactly, why is it not at the END of the title?
Old 2017-07-09 , 10:10
Changes remote batteries hourly

I'll have one last try at this (and anything much else, as discussed at the end of the post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Exactly, why is it not at the END of the title?
I don't think that could work (not that I'm saying it should be at the beginning either, that's worse).

Some titles are too long, already we can't see the full name listed and too often the season / episode number at the end is already not visible. Having added "New :" to the beginnings has worsened this effect, and placing them at the end would make some instances of it not visible so pointless.

I've since studied how this "New :" works, it seems to be for any premiere of a new episode or movie occurring on a channel that does this. Repeats don't have it.
Now let's look a little deeper (with 101 M-Net as the example except for what's in brackets);

Inconsistencies:
Two quickly seen examples.
Why isn't it used with tonight's Last Week Tonight With John Oliver (Sunday)?
Why isn't it used with next Saturday night's NCIS?
(On ch. 120, why was the latest season of QI marked this way - I've looked through the whole of the next 8 days and nothing else is so marked.)

Obvious:
Almost everything in "prime time" is new, so what's the point of this which appears to many viewers to just be nuisance and disruptive clutter?
Only newcomers to the service wouldn't understand how the evenings work and they're a small minority of the viewers, and i would think most of them expect new content every night anyway.

No, sorry, this makes zero sense to me.
There's been too much fiddling which has become beyond irritating now, and with apparently far too little thought about the wide reaching consequences, and the timing is not helping certain channels' popularity as they're increasingly looking amateurish and uncertain in their abilities.

I and a number of other regulars have put a lot (major under-exaggeration) of effort into our feedback through the years. My personal opinion - not enough is done about learning from widely-agreed public feedback and too much is just going around in circles, largely due to the wrong policies being adopted by MC re users' needs since the days Naspers acquired it.
Which is why, like too many others before me, I'm completely tired of trying now. (I still believe a few things help though.)
Old 2017-07-10 , 09:58
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

I really think that this is the least of what I would want from MC right now, there are more important things on which to be focussing attention.

Besides the fact that the New is in capital letters (shouting in effect), it is very distracting when scrolling the tv guide.

If your Playlist is sorted alphebetically, then everything recorded with this is listed under N - see photos below. This is not helpful when searching for something.

Also, I recorded The Good Place on Sunday morning. This was not the first screening, that was Friday night, yet it reflects NEW.

Really not happy with this

New 1.jpg

New 2.jpg
Old 2017-07-10 , 10:25

Agree Mad Cat.
Using the word "NEW" to try keep viewers happy that there actually some new shows on DStv...total cop out. And then the implementation creates havoc with search requests. What about cross channel "NEW" notifications. So NEW will appear 12 months down the line on an alternative channel when the show moves off premium. Is nothing actually thought through?

Far more important issues need to be addressed with the software updates and not rubbish like this.
90cm dish; LMX502 ; Explora as Primary in lounge, HD-PVR2 in flat; XV heartbeat via RF outs; Samsung 60LED7000 via HDMI and Sony 42" 576p panel via composite; Flat has 32" Hi-Sense. Denon AVRX1100 configured for 5.1; Sony BluRay; WD media player; All using HDMI/optical/coax.
Old 2017-07-13 , 14:04
Still gets up to change channels

I don't like this feature either.
If it was just limited to the TV Guide / iPlate, then it would be bearable, but this "NEW" keyword permeates all areas on the Explora. E.g. the Playlist, Schedules List, even the Season Manager is showing series recordings with "NEW" in front of the titles. Very annoying and makes it difficult to read and manage lists.
Old 2017-07-18 , 14:16
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Searching for stuff on an Explora is more simpler albeit straightforward than compared to a PVR. So i was glad when i started seeing programs prefixed "New: " and i assumed this was a feature enhancement thank you MC.

I have a small question though, when searching by title on a PVR, you cannot input special characters mostly " : "

Is it possible that we could get the keyboard updated so that you can search for "NEW: ", currently when i just search for "NEW " i give up and call it quits.
Old 2017-07-18 , 14:22

Glad someone is finding it useful, but the disadvantages overweigh.

They won't consider any suggestions for enhancements on the older PVRs, further software development for them was ended months ago.
Old 2017-07-19 , 09:14

I've come to the conclusion that MC feel it's pertinent to make everyone aware that much of the wide content is not repeats now, that would also explain the dragging of feet with the M-Net "Prime Time" logo extension which I've come to believe has now been replaced by "New".

We've already discussed why that seems unnecessary, clearly it didn't convince as there's a stronger perceived need for it.

So, what's the alternative?
Simon's earlier suggestions make sense but I suspect MC & co. want a more visible indication.

I'm going to suggest that MC add their own designed character or symbol for this to their decoders' text software, example below, which can then be ignored in searches if used in the programs' titles and it takes up little extra literal space.
Possibly already thought of, but could take some time to develop across the board.

'new' logo.jpg