Forum > Content > General > Feedback on closedown of M-Edge
Old 2017-07-01 , 16:47
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke7777 View Post
Feedback on what ? They close a (very popular) channel due to economics (so why did my subs increase) and then try to justify it by trying to pack everything into 1 channel, not giving a hoot about when those programs are now shown live. What feedback do you think will help.. how to move programs around ? I'm sorry, MC dropped the ball on this one. I'm not satisfied with the fact that one now have to wait many months for stuff that was Express or close to it previously. Don't give me the tough scheduling excuse either. I don't care
Sure, we're all unhappy. Some of us are just trying to improve a bad situation a bit.
Express still exists, Vikings coming up for instance. Although I understand that getting more things sooner is very important to some, in my house we're quite relieved about that being less involved as too many were causing near-weekly headaches.

Can't see how it could be made to work well enough.
Did anyone find out what they do in the States? I suspect that there's more of a separate setup for them with single or groups of studios providing different services, so less for each of them to sort out.
Old 2017-07-02 , 11:25
Changes remote batteries daily

Ja, I don't think one can compare with the States, where there are many providers/studios competing for a slice in the viewer pie, as opposed to....
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2017-07-02 , 12:11
Changes remote batteries hourly

Agreed, but is it MC's fault that they control the market so much? What real effort have other platforms made

Here's a last suggestion from me;

For most on the bigger packages, the answer has been Catch Up (CU).
Delivery delays seem to be far more under control now, the problem for some is how the common interests have shifted as other demographics have taken hold leading to not enough of the desired series on CU. Not everyone has or wants to make more use of CU+.

So I think MC should first fix all the CU problems, then find a way to include another VOD stream on the Explora, with some careful planning about how to best avoid interest clashes with delivery at any time.
Then give us a menu where we select the series we prefer (from what is available to CU). Defaults for that menu could remain on the current scenario. What isn't selected becomes available on CU+.

It's not a solution for those without Exploras, but with online CU at least there's alternatives.

Just an idea though, we don't know enough to determine if it's practical. Cheers
Old 2017-07-02 , 12:33
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Then give us a menu where we select the series we prefer (from what is available to CU). Defaults for that menu could remain on the current scenario. What isn't selected becomes available on CU+.
Been asking for this in MC Nic's days
100/50 Fibre (OpenServe/AH Capped)
------------------------------------------
DSD1110 in holiday mode
DSTV Mobile via Drifta WiFi (S5& iPad)
Old 2017-07-08 , 07:17
Changes remote batteries daily. Has an entire thread named after her.

Ok, now that I'm finally done with financial year end, herewith my thoughts

Like most people, I'm extremely unhappy / angry by the loss of Edge. But there is nothing that will change the mind of MC on reinstating the channel. They tried to sell it as in the interests of viewers, but it was a purely economical decision.

So, Edge ran daily from 6pm to 6am with new content. Currently the same channel, now renamed Binge, runs weekends only, approximately 9:30pm to 3am screening repeats. I know some have found this useful, but I don't think that this is the best use of this time. Why not use this time to screen new series with high age restricted content, e.g. American Gods, or if economically, it has to be repeats and not new content, repeats of shows currently being screened on 101 or 103.

If 101 is now the home of series, then commit to that. I know Sunday night movies are entrenched with South Africans, so fine, premiere the "blockbusters" on 101, but then move the repeats thereof to the 5 other movies channels in the M-net stable. This then frees up space for series repeats, more high age restricted content (late night/ early morning) or even moving reality series out of prime time to previous movie slots.

On 103 AND 116 we currently have 4+ hours of music videos - Vuzic. I really don't think that such a large block of time needs to be allocated on 2 channels daily to the same show. Given 103 is premium only channel, I think that Vuzic should be dropped from this channel, still being available on 116. This then frees up space again.

As many of us are unhappy by closure of Edge for a variety of reasons, MC seriously needs to entertain ideas on how to improve the provision of series to viewers. The only upside for me of this decision, is that there is no longer recoding conflicts between 101 and 102 - this however means loss of series options, so I sorely miss having this problem to solve.

The termination of Edge had a major negative impact for vierwers (irrespective of how MC sees it or sells it), maybe another big move needs to be considered to restore viewer happiness.

MC, not asking for the return of Edge, but a look at how you can improve series?
Old 2017-07-09 , 02:00
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

My preference, not missing the production breaks, prefer to watch ONE episode per week of series. Another must is at least 2 repeats of this episode on different days. This week Shades of Blue on MNET suddenly double, and the ep 7 repeated before ep 6, and that is it. Hopefully one day we will come full circle and MNET series come back again.
Old 2017-07-10 , 10:00

MC, please advise if / when my post from Saturday will reflect?
Old 2017-07-10 , 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
MC, please advise if / when my post from Saturday will reflect?
Thank you for posting my reply