Forum > Decoders > PVR Decoders > "This is a PVR" notification
Old 2017-10-26 , 22:26
Changes remote batteries daily

Its been nice and quiet with what seem to be the problem solved for almost month of no " this is a PVR" error message and then 3 in a row during the recording of NCIS:New Orleans to night. @ Mc when will this be sorted out. Its been going on for a Looooong time now.
Old 2017-10-27 , 07:33
Technical Myriad

I have lost faith in MC completely. There is no resolve anywhere visible that anyone in MC cares about their customer base anymore. It should be a relatively simple task to set up a simple spreadsheet with a list of service authentication commands and columns for the decoders and establish which commands each decoder type can handle properly.
That should then inform their service authentication people of what they can and can't do.

What incentive is there for any customer currently being treated like a piece of dirt on his existing decoder to have the assurance that his new decoder will not suffer from some or other similar problem?

It is absolutely shameful for a company the size of MC to be so inward focussed .

I attended a conference yesterday where a CEO said in public that no internal process would ever deviate him from keeping the customer at the top.
Maybe MCs senior people should all take a long hard look at what is driving them and if they can't accept that their customer base is paramount, they should cash in and leave.
2 unmentionable FTA decoders
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2 x (2x6) MS, FSM permanently connected.

Last edited by Geoff D; 2017-10-27 at 09:41. .
Old 2017-10-27 , 08:27

It seem to me that most of these problem like "this is a PVR" and some of the chronic reboots are authentication related in some way. Surely MC can schedule the authentication process to random times between 01:00 and 05:00 (off peak) where it would be just as effective in eliminating any unauthorized viewing. MC is paranoid in ensuring that only legitimate customers are using their services but in the process inconvenience those that are loyal and through their support ensure that they are kept in business.
I have been following the "unwanted reboots" thread with some interest. It annoy me that I followed the advice given to me at the time during the HD 2P saga to ditch the 2P and switch to an Explora. So now I sit with an Explora periodically mess up a scheduled recording and then try to record it at a later stage creating a recording conflict in my recording schedule.
I fully endorse what Geoff is saying regarding the customer should be kept on top after all the customer is paying your salary. Without customers there will not be a MC.
Old 2017-10-27 , 09:46
Technical Myriad

Certainly on the UEC HD PVR 4T and the SD PVT, MC is hell bent on doing these checks every 6 hours just after midnight, at 06:00 in the morning, then again at Midday, and then again at 18:00.

IF the process fails, the affected decoder will have a string of reboots thereafter for many minutes until either MC stops sending the messages or the decoder simply clears its storage buffers. The only way to short circuit this nonsense is as soon as the reboot strikes, is to power down the decoder, wait a few minutes and then reboot. This forces the buffers to be cleared BUT sometimes also means decoder defaults are restored and you have to go and work through the customizations.
Old 2017-10-27 , 09:57
MultiChoice

Folks security checks happen several times an hour on all decoders, and are necessary contractually with our content providers. It is not something that can be scheduled for only certain times of the day - it defeats he purpose of preventing piracy.
It is only at certain times that these older decoders cannot cope with these requests, which then causes a reboot. That is why these decoders were placed in end of Support 3 years ago.
Old 2017-10-27 , 10:05

So what is causing the 102 this is an PVR error message and how and when will it be resolved.
Old 2017-10-27 , 10:10
MultiChoice

@Jan this is a different error, and will be resolved with the next software release going in the next few days.
Old 2017-10-27 , 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Sandipa View Post
Hi All

Please note that we are currently testing a fix for this issue and hope to deploy sometime in September...

Thanks for your patience.
It now that far from November already.
Old 2017-10-27 , 11:09
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
Folks security checks happen several times an hour on all decoders, and are necessary contractually with our content providers. It is not something that can be scheduled for only certain times of the day - it defeats he purpose of preventing piracy.
It is only at certain times that these older decoders cannot cope with these requests, which then causes a reboot. That is why these decoders were placed in end of Support 3 years ago.
This is precisely what I was referring to. An inward perceived requirement that your suppliers are imposing on you that IS destroying the customer experience.

Nothing else matters. IF these checks numerous times a day are okay for all the decoders, what is so special about the 6-hourly actions going on? What makes them necessary at all? What happens then that the older decoders can't ride the storm? Too many simultaneous checks being done at the same time or one after the other?

None of MCs arguments hold water! The internal processes should be structured in such a way that ALL the decoders still in operation out there are able to handle the process Nothing else is acceptable to your customer base.

Clearly I have struck the nail spot on! MC does not care about its customer base and is totally inward focused.
Old 2017-10-27 , 11:35
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Marietjie View Post
The Explora1 also appears to struggle with these checks, is that also classed as an "older decoder" already? I've written before about the freezes/blackscreen, followed by "checking decoder status" message. When watching a recording sometimes one is kicked out of it and then greeted with "This is a PVR" error - forcing a reboot.

Recently after the authentication check freeze I was then greeted with a "disk is full" error, even though the disk is only half full. Reboot.

All my friends report similar, varied issues since this new authentication system went in. Clearly it is poorly coded and buggy, and passing the buck on to contractual requirements doesn't wash when you are ruining the viewing experience for us, your paying customers.

I'm not trying to shoot the messenger here as I really appreciate you interacting with us on the forums, but please, please understand that this is very frustrating - and becoming more so. Whoever works on your software, whether internal or an external consultancy, needs to have their performance reviewed and if necessary you guys need to invest in more skilled people. Surely these ongoing (and apparently worsening, looking at the current "watch button" farce) problems can't continue like this.