Old 2012-04-15 , 12:01
Technical Myriad

UEC HD PVR - SD combination still 30 second HB

Would not be surprised to find MC has changed this if the change helps relieve load on the processor. Never really saw the sense in such a small HB interval when the expiry time was changed from 3 minutes to 30 minutes.

Yes we all have the problem of trying to capture what happens on screen.

Good luck with your line of diagnosis, the more of us looking at these things the better is the overall understanding.

Relay commands and accept relayed commands only has use if the decoders are not both in the same room and / or you are using TVLINKs to remotely control the decoders.

Only thing left is to ensure that the choice of comms ports matches your install.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2012-04-15 at 12:24. .
Old 2012-04-15 , 12:24
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Exclamation @Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
UEC HD PVR - SD combination still 30 second HB
Easier than what I thought.

I confirm that the Heartbeat is 2 minutes appart. Not 30 seconds as was assumed earlier in posts.

Primary decoder: HDPVR 2P
Comms port RF In
Remote Mode TV1
Accept relayed commands OFF (was on)
relay commands, OFF (was on)
TV link enabled Disabled Greyed Out cannot change

1110 Secondary, XtraView
Comms port RF Out
Remote Mode TV2
Accept relayed commands OFF (was on)
relay commands, OFF (was on)
TV link enabled Disabled
Old 2012-04-15 , 19:48

Default Guys

I have reduced the load as much as I could from the HDPVR P2 as elsewhere in this thread.

The only other thing is to "Kill XtraView" or DownGrade to reduce the load.

Sad to say: at the change of the hour to 19:00, exactly on the mark, I started experiencing Remote Key Functionality Delays (buffering) for up to 23 second and some occasional delays there-after for about another 15 seconds.

I have never experienced this severity and regularity of delays before (the so called upgrade).

No-one can tell me now that the HDPVR P2 Processor Capabilities are sufficient for the payload expected of it.

- Signal Levels are Excellent on both decoders.
- Grade of Service is 100% on both decoders.
- HeartBeat exactly every 2 minutes.

Let me disclose an embarrassing and argument-worthy scenario:
"My wife and I could be watching a PG, 16 or 18 rated programme, whether this be recorded or real time.
(The remote ready in the event that I might want to stop the show.)
A Knock on the door, my wife opens and in comes the family with their kids.
A bed scene is playing on the TV which I cannot stop, pause, change station or other; for more than 20 seconds.
What an embarrasment for both families."

It is my responsibility to comply with the laws pertaining to supervision and rated films.
There is no opportunity to comply with this law if I lose control of the equipment a the time, other than to "pluck it from the wall" or "Chase the family away . ."!!

This might appear as A joke but read into it the realism of the situation rather than the embarrasment. It could happen to you . . .

Can DSTV / MC declare if there is a problem or not, what to do about it and how to manage it in the interim???

If there is no problem, I need the parameters of the ideal setup so that I can have a system that allows me to manage it with delays of less than 3 seconds; this be reasonable in a 21st century world.

Alternatively; what decoder is capable of delivering a premium performance?

(This might be a light hearted publication but please take note of the consequences if not improved soon)

Comments and further advice will be welcomed. Thanks to the people who have contributed and would probably continue to do so.
Old 2012-04-15 , 20:14

Default Log

Interesting;
Hour 20:00 changed without any event.
Monitored from 19:55 till 20:06
Old 2012-04-15 , 21:11

Exclamation Log

Improvement? Hopefully!
Hour 21:00 changed without any event.
Monitored from 20:55 till 21:06
Old 2012-04-15 , 22:21

Unhappy @Geoff & gwalker

I have monitored the situation closely over the past period from just before 19:00 till just after 22:00

Just as was wishing to give this a clean bill of health, for the period 22:01 till 22:05, three periods of 8, 15 and about 18 seconds of delays were observed.

For the period 21:00 to before the above 22:01, not even a flinch of delay was observed.

I shall be standing down now as there is nothing more I can contribute to establish cause and effect. Enough was said to clearly classify this as a matter of processor overload.

Please keep me posted on new developments and also rely on me to assist with further testing and evaluation if you so wish.

Your support, advice and education was most appreciated.

Last edited by Bossie Bossert; 2012-04-15 at 22:22. . Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 2012-04-16 , 11:49
4K, baby!

Bossie we seem to be the only ones experiencing this problem or at least posting about it. Cannot speak about before ten last night as I was watching football and not changing any channels. However, I received the dreaded 143-3 message on my screen at about quarter to ten.

I then phoned MC Call Centre and at about five to ten was going through the menu with the operator when the screen froze. Or rather the remote instructions weren't acted upon. From past experiences I realised NOT to push any more buttons but waited for some sort of response. None was forthcoming and so after a couple of MINUTES I decided to push a button or two. Still nothing. Eventually ended up rebooting the machine. This was now after ten.

Picture came back and if MEMORY serves me correctly decoder started responding to remote commands again. Time? Around ten past ten.

As you say, this problem was never experienced before the latest software was downloaded to my decoder. Which has since been swapped out but the problem persists.
Old 2012-04-16 , 13:00
Still gets up to change channels

Default Delays in Commands from the Remote

Have for the past 3 weeks also noticed occasional delays in the commands from the remote control. Amber light on decoder flashes when a button on the remote is depressed but nothing happens for about 2 mins. Have factory reset the decoder a few times but this still continues to happen. Sometimes this is so servere that the decoder has to be powered off and then switched back on. It also happens wheither or not one or two recordings are taking place. I not sure but this seems to have happened after the last software update,
Old 2012-04-16 , 18:39

Wink @beetle bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle bailey View Post
Bossie we seem to be the only ones experiencing this problem or at least posting about it.

Nope, we are not the only ones. My son is experiencing the same, he does not have XtraView and it is a simple HDPVR P2 to a Sony 40inch and some kind of a sound system that outrates my Sherwood by far.

I also have friends who don't really understand what they are experiencing and don't really worry about it as they are not using the functionality extensively but speaking to them, their experiences are much the same: "Oh yes, I have noticed that!"

The reason why I have spent so much time on this, is that I am a bit Coach Bound recuperating from a bout of Shingles and spend much time being a "Couch Patatoe".

Being very conscious of quality in my proffession, I don't really want to take this "lying down" but have to on account of my "disposition".

I know that once corrective action would be taken, no-one will admit to any wrongdoing so the viewers will eventually accept the situation.

Thanks for your confirmation.We are not alone . . .
Old 2012-04-16 , 21:11

Thumbs down Yah well no fine . .

2012/04/16 just to log that at the change from 21:00 to 21:01 remote key delay (bufferred) for 25 seconds during which time the remote was useless, the decoder was stuck on the favourites grid that I had open etc etc etc and the subsequent rapid firing of all the buffered key strokes there after, looked like yhe game "Mine Sweeper". Suppose one must now just accept what has transpired / expired after / during / because of the HDPVR 2P upgradedown

Is there anybody out there?

Last edited by Bossie Bossert; 2012-04-16 at 21:13. . Reason: Verry bad spelling Suppose