Old 2010-03-01 , 08:17
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

Default Signal Strength vs Signal Quality

I installed a dish and decoder (old one) to be used only for free to air channels. I get a signal strength of 85-89% but the signal quality is all over the place. It ranges from 3% to 98%. I have tried various things to improve this via alignment with no success. It does'nt seems to affect the picture.

Does anyone know what this is all about ?? Is it a decoder issue or an install issue ??

PS. The weather was perfect ....
Old 2010-03-01 , 08:24
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
I installed a dish and decoder (old one) to be used only for free to air channels. I get a signal strength of 85-89% but the signal quality is all over the place. It ranges from 3% to 98%. I have tried various things to improve this via alignment with no success. It does'nt seems to affect the picture.

Does anyone know what this is all about ?? Is it a decoder issue or an install issue ??

PS. The weather was perfect ....

Only way to be sure its not an installation issue is with a FSM
IF the picture is good then it could be as simple as a faulty measuring circuit in the decoder and nothing more.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-03-01 , 08:46

I did use an Ellies digital satellite finder to set the dish up. Is an FSM any different ??
Old 2010-03-01 , 09:15
Technical Myriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewD View Post
I did use an Ellies digital satellite finder to set the dish up. Is an FSM any different ??
Filed strenght meters are able to measure BER which is the correct measurement for signal quality. I do not know if the Ellies meter can give you such a measure. that will show if the variability is due to the signal from the LNB or not.

If antenna is pointed and giving maximum signal strenght then the only instalatio issue is possible issue with skew angle, trees or othe robatsacle in the way, or faulty and unstable LNB

You may consider taking ecoder in for cheking as this will prove decoder is okay or not.
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2010-03-01 , 09:20

Thanks, there is nothing in the way (trees etc) and the LNB is new (I know that doesn't mean much). You are probably right, it's the decoder giving a faulty signal. Not too easy to get the decoder checked - it is in Limpopo on the farm. I'll have to take a spare decoder with next time to check it.
Old 2010-03-11 , 13:45
Still listens to the wireless

Years ago had the same problem with an installation. Turned out to be that a strand of braid in the cable was touching the copper wire in the cable.
Old 2010-03-17 , 13:49

Interesting - funny thing is that this one still works fine. It seems to just be the indicator on the decoder that varies from 3% to 80%