Old 2008-12-11 , 18:22
Still gets up to change channels

Default Dolby 5.1 Broadcasting

Not sure if I'm placing this post in the correct section (Channels)?

I recently noticed that on channel 170 (HD) that certain programs are advertised as Dolby 5.1 transmission just before the show, my amp has the ability to indicate if this is the case or not. At the start of the program the amp recognizes 5.1 but then shortly after switches back to stereo. In some instances like Harry Potter ..... it remains on 5.1 throughout the entire program so I know that all my settings are correct.

Anyone know why this is happening?
Old 2009-01-02 , 20:44

Default 5.1 not being broadcast

Guys, I thought I had worked this one out but was mistaken.

At first I thought that if on 170 just prior to a broadcast the Dolby 5.1 promo is flighted then the program would be in 5.1 - wrong!
I then noticed that if you viewed the EPG and in there DD was reflected then only would the program be broadcast in 5.1 - wrong as well!
Does anyone have a answer to this, when are you assured that the program is 5.1?

I also still dont get it as to why MC don't broadcast the music concerts in 5.1. Just over the New Year period there were many concert shows (Akon, Pink, Simply Red, Crowded House, Cold Play and lots more), not one was broadcast in 5.1 only Dolby Stereo ??????
Old 2009-01-02 , 21:48
A big, eagle-eyed baobab.

On a positive note they did put up an on screen notification that Boston Legal (i think it was) wasn't in 5.1 a couple nights ago
Old 2009-01-04 , 09:50
Knows how to use a remote

Yes, I'm, having a similar experience with the 5.1. It is a real pity that this is not being broadcast as it was the primary reason for going to HD along with the better product.

Here's hoping it gets better in 2009!
Old 2009-01-04 , 10:34
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv G View Post
On a positive note they did put up an on screen notification that Boston Legal (i think it was) wasn't in 5.1 a couple nights ago
Noticed the same thing on 'Fear Itself' the other night. It stated that there is no 5.1 as was advertised. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 2009-01-14 , 19:13

Default MC Response

MC Guys, I am still waiting for a logical response to my first post, this is a problem but everyone seems mum on this, I really would like an answer to this.

Thanks to those that supported my query. Are we the select few that insist on 5.1 dolby sound?

BTW I still believe they should split picture and quality issues on the forum site.
Old 2009-01-21 , 18:33

Hi all,

I have it worse - all of a sudden my surround sound has stopped working. It works fine if I play a DVD with 5.1 - but MM1 has packed up. The optical cable works fine as I pick up the sound through the optical port with the other channels. I have done the front pannel reset and still have no joy. I have the SD PVR and have not upgraded to the XView package or HD yet. This is so frustrating. I wonder if they have changed the reset procedure with this new software?

Maybe they have taken the 5.1 surround away from us SDPVR guys to make us upgrade?

Cheers

Craig
Old 2009-01-25 , 17:56
Still listens to the wireless

Default Same problem

Also have problem with my SDPVR. DD worked for a while last year, rarely works now. Extremely annoying. Watching a bit of Transformers now. Was broadcast in DD in December, now only stereo (although the information indicates it shhould be DD).
Old 2009-01-29 , 15:24

Thank you hooligan.

It is not good news but at least I now know that I am not the only one in this boat. It also started with me around mid december. I seem to remember that there used to be an option to enable the optical output somewhere in the setup - this is gone with the software upgrade.
And it is not just the optic port - but also the coax digital.

While it is not good to hear - it is good to know that I am not alone.

Maybe MC is trying to get us to upgrade? It is not worth it just for the surround sound for me at the moment.

Thanks a million there hooligan.

Does anyone know if it is a MC thing or is it software related? If software - is it possible to roll back a version to where it did work? Mind you hooligan you say it works sometimes -so it sounds more like a MC problem here?

Cheers

Craig
Old 2009-02-02 , 13:03
Still listens to the wireless

Default not the decoder

Hi

Whilst I do speak under correction, I'm pretty sure it isn't the box, the coax or the optical. I DO sometimes get surround out of the pvr, sometimes I get the DD logo, but my amp only receives PL1. At other times, again when it is supposed to be DD, it gets the front 3 channels, nothing else.

This has everything to do with how the material was ingested in the server, or the mechanics behind whatever it is that switches the output from the FCC from stereo (or whatever) to DD. Ultimately, unless MC has indicated so, is human error. Furthermore, a technical error would be quick to point out. Human error, on the other hand is a lot more difficult to deal with.

Of course, MC is TERRIBLE at dealing with people (I didn't say they were better at machines, if they were we wouldn't be having this discussion) and as far as I can tell there hasn't been any response to this topic.

So, is MC gonna respond? probably not. I would suggest a class action, where we take them to court for not delivering what they are contracted to by each one of us. Furthermore, I'm sure the Advertising Standards Authority will get a HUGE kick out of the fact they advertise DD, sell based on that promise, and then don't deliver.

Saying these are teething problems also don't hold water after all this time. I'd be willing to bet my front teeth that the issues are WAY easier to fix than is made out.