Forum > Value Added Services > BoxOffice > BO likes / dislikes
Old 2015-02-03 , 14:02
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Waiting for some new releases on the big screen and was hoping to discuss here, as the "Lounge" thread, which is the logical place to discuss movies, has alienated a few people, including me; so have unsubscribed.

Since we're already a bit off topic - not sure where you got that idea Keith, no-one there has ever had a problem with those discussions

If you mean what happened with Frosty, that was over done dominance play by him for far too long. The rest, like the comments with Beetle Bailey are people just having fun, and admittedly some strong opinions, but the only things not welcome there by regulars & Mods are any harmful forum-associated or social incidents.
Please send me an email if I can help further.

Will definitely be joining The Maze Runner fans
Old 2015-02-03 , 14:12
MultiChoice

Quote:
Thanks; We'll give that a go this evening!
Any recommendations for British movies?
- Magic in the Moonlight
- Cuban Fury
- Begin Again (Not Strictly British but it has Kiera Knightly in it).

(*Footnote - I've only watched the trailers so I can't offer any opinions on these).

The Kingsmen also looks like a load of fun.
Old 2015-02-05 , 17:19
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
I actually quite liked The Maze Runner.
Thanks for the recommendation, Nic; yip, Sandy and I both enjoyed it. A sort of post-apocalyptic cross between Lord of the Flies and Duke Nukem

The sequel, "The Scorch Trials" (second of a quadrilogy of books) is released Mid September. Again, a movie for the BIG screen IMHO. MR2
Cheers, K.
Old 2015-02-05 , 17:26

Talking of BIG screen again, @Nic, I hope you won't mind if we do some more of that here? It is kind of lost in the lounge and the titles do often end up on BO anyway, not sure where else it could be discussed.
Old 2015-02-06 , 09:06
MultiChoice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
Talking of BIG screen again, @Nic, I hope you won't mind if we do some more of that here? It is kind of lost in the lounge and the titles do often end up on BO anyway, not sure where else it could be discussed.
I don't see any problem with it, but just to be safe, let's call the thread "Big Screen Movies I'll watch again on BoxOffice"
Old 2015-02-06 , 09:07
MultiChoice

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation, Nic; yip, Sandy and I both enjoyed it. A sort of post-apocalyptic cross between Lord of the Flies and Duke Nukem

The sequel, "The Scorch Trials" (second of a quadrilogy of books) is released Mid September. Again, a movie for the BIG screen IMHO. MR2
Cheers, K.
Sure thing. Glad you enjoyed it. I think it might be a re-watch candidate for me too.
Old 2015-02-06 , 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Nic View Post
I don't see any problem with it, but just to be safe, let's call the thread "Big Screen Movies I'll watch again on BoxOffice"
Sounds ideal, thanks!

I'll leave it to you Keith.
Old 2015-08-07 , 08:30

Is no-one else here ever interested in sharing their BO recommendations / disappointments? Would be nice to share perspectives and maybe take some of the guesswork out of it.

"Fast And Furious 7" - Seriously?? Are they in competition now with the Rocky series? Even my always-wants-to-accelerate foot is rather tired of those lot.
But if anyone sees this and finds good value in it please let us know.

Looking forward to watching the sci fi sequel "Insurgent".
Old 2015-08-07 , 09:52
Knows how to use a remote

Quote:
Is no-one else here ever interested in sharing their BO recommendations / disappointments? Would be nice to share perspectives and maybe take some of the guesswork out of it.

"Fast And Furious 7" - Seriously?? Are they in competition now with the Rocky series? Even my always-wants-to-accelerate foot is rather tired of those lot.

haha I think I stopped watching F&F around its third installment, I grew out of it very quickly. Its probably going for a record maybe it will eventually hit double digits Fast & Furious 11.
I am also looking forward to Insurgent sequel.. should be epic
Old 2015-08-07 , 10:13
MultiChoice

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anelist View Post
haha I think I stopped watching F&F around its third installment, I grew out of it very quickly. Its probably going for a record maybe it will eventually hit double digits Fast & Furious 11.
I am also looking forward to Insurgent sequel.. should be epic
My review of Fast & Furious 7:

Furious 7 is the most over-the-top, outrageous, far-fetched, action-packed Fast & Furious movie to-date. It makes no attempts whatsoever to suspend any disbelief and at times had me screaming “What the HELL?” at my screen.

I mean, let’s be honest, the Fast and Furious franchise has changed dramatically from the first movie am I right? Initially it was all about fast cars and the underground street racing culture.

But interest waned in fast cars adorned with neon lights, massive boot spoilers and NOS injectors so the producers went for broke and mashed up what can only be described as Mission Impossible meets Die Hard.

But you know what? I actually kind of like it.

Fast & Furious has turned into one of those money-spinners for Universal Studios that just starts printing its own money as soon as they announce a new instalment.

You’d think after six films they’d throw in the towel and give up because, well, let’s be honest, how do you find something new to show audiences who have seen it all?

Somehow the producers manage to consistently put together movies that are a bundle of fun to watch, regardless of how unbelievably outrageous they are. It’s very similar to the Saw and Mission Impossible franchises, and even the Insidious franchise for that matter – all completely insane movies but always delivering on their mandate.

(Incidentally, Furious 7’s director, James Wan, also directed the original Saw movie and the two Insidious movies so the pedigree is pretty good).

So…is Fast and Furious 7 worth your R30 on BoxOffice?

If you’re a fan of wall-to-wall action and mindless sit-back-and-enjoy popcorn entertainment – this is the movie you’re looking for.

If you’ll remember back to Furious 6, there was pre-credits scene where a new character, Deckard Shaw (played by Jason Statham), makes his presence known to Toretto (Vin Diesel) saying that he’s coming to exact revenge for putting his brother Owen Shaw (the villain from Furious 6) in a coma.

He starts messing with Toretto’s friends and family, planting bombs, hacking computers, and just causing general chaos and disorder in the lives of the Furious crew.

One incident hits a little too close to home sending Toretto and Brian (Paul Walker) over the edge and off in a frothy looking for this new mystery villain. But this ex-assassin is more than just two burly men can handle.

In one of their failed attempts to find and “have a civil conversation” with Shaw, Toretto is approached by “Mr. Nobody” (Kurt Russell) who offers the services of his elite security force to help apprehend Shaw in exchange for a valuable piece of tech.

Toretto steals and delivers the tech, and he gets an army of hired guns. Fair trade.

Furious 7 is a rollercoaster of action, high-octane stunts, fast cars, guns, corny one-liners, guns, cars, did I mention guns and cars…?

Suspend all disbelief at the door and take Furious 7 for what it is - because this movie does not take itself seriously and neither should you. But it is a lot of fun to watch – even if only to shake your head and be amazed that people can even think this stuff up.

One glaringly obvious thing in Furious 7 is that this is the last Furious movie that Paul Walker acted in before his tragic death and this is obviously covered with a very moving tribute at the end of the movie from Vin Diesel – spoken not as Toretto, but as a real-life friend.

After about two hours of OHMYGODWHATTHEHELLISGOINGON! – have a tissue handy. Even this poor sucker with nerves of steel got a lump in his throat.