Old 2013-05-02 , 22:58
Changes remote batteries hourly

Smile Forum lounge

EDIT: A forum loung was later made and is still carrying on (posted this update in 2016) - see the most recent version here: The Lounge

It's been asked for a number of times before, perhaps with the more relaxed atmosphere on the Forum these days it can now be considered again?

Many past arguments for a casual Forum lounge can be read in this thread started by @Flynn late last year, which was closed: General

Some important points (some new) I want to make here are;
* The regular Forumites have shown their willingness and ability to assist in keeping the forum largely cordial, and been very successful at doing that, so in general posts have been needing less behaviour related attention by the moderators (who are all busy managers).
* Although this is a business Forum, all other large Forums I've ever seen do have a corner where Forumites can relax and share social interaction about completely unrelated subjects.
* In this more relaxed atmosphere a number of forumites, myself included, have already been allowed to post about technical subjects not related to MC's industry, and it hasn't got out of hand.
* The more Forumites that choose to hang around here the better for MC from a feedback position, which is one of the main reasons for this Forum.
* Although a few Forumites had expressed their disagreement about having such a forum section, they would not be obliged to use it.

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited by Optimist; 2016-09-25 at 16:47. .
Old 2013-05-03 , 08:00
Changes remote batteries daily

That was my point Optimist, having a more relaxed section to this forum can only be a positive thing in so many ways. Other forums around the world have a general section thus lots of people visit those forums quiet regularly.

At the end of the day, this is MCs forum and they have every right to do whatever they want but they should also consider that the forumites make this forum
HDPVR 2P, 42" Samsung LED TV
-----------------------
BEDROOM 2 -
Phillips 42" LED TV, Can View Both The PVR & 2P
Old 2013-05-03 , 10:17
All Hail FrostyD, Forum king!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
It's been asked for a number of times before, perhaps with the more relaxed atmosphere on the Forum these days it can now be considered again?

Many past arguments for a casual Forum lounge can be read in this thread started by @Flynn late last year, which was closed: General

Some important points (some new) I want to make here are;
* The regular Forumites have shown their willingness and ability to assist in keeping the forum largely cordial, and been very successful at doing that, so in general posts have been needing less behaviour related attention by the moderators (who are all busy managers).
* Although this is a business Forum, all other large Forums I've ever seen do have a corner where Forumites can relax and share social interaction about completely unrelated subjects.
* In this more relaxed atmosphere a number of forumites, myself included, have already been allowed to post about technical subjects not related to MC's industry, and it hasn't got out of hand.
* The more Forumites that choose to hang around here the better for MC from a feedback position, which is one of the main reasons for this Forum.
* Although a few Forumites had expressed their disagreement about having such a forum section, they would not be obliged to use it.

Thank you for your consideration.
Agree with you , that the addition of the forum lounge would be great !

Suggestions

*Make the forum lounge section hidden to the public and only available to the members of the forum !
*Put a post count requirement before anyone use the lounge to prevent angry first time subscribers from trolling in the lounge!This will make this section feel like a privilege which can be taken away from a member if they bring destruction to the forum!
*Put the most trusted and respected members of the forum as Mods for just the lounge section who form a council who make the rules for the forum lounge section which then has to be approved by a MC Thami!The council can add and remove mods so to make it fair and give people a chance who earned it to be mod for the forum lounge!

Even though their are many forums ,I like this forum the most !Mybroadband is free country for all!

FrostyD`s post count is low and I still only know how to use the remote !

Have a great Day : )
Old 2013-05-03 , 13:58
Changes remote batteries daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Other forums around the world have a general section thus lots of people visit those forums quiet regularly.
Although most other forums tend to be community-based e.g. a gaming forum or a photography forum. This forum is slightly different in that respect as its operated by a business and its purpose is to be a means of interaction between that business and its customers. So I can understand why MC might not want to allow a general section.

One concern would be moderation of such a section. The current moderators don't spend that much time on the forum (and this isn't a criticism as I understand why), so there's the potential for problems to go unchecked.

However, I wonder if it might be possible to give selected forumites the ability to moderate the general section and that section only. That would solve the moderation problem, although I think the chances of that idea being implemented aren't great.
Old 2013-05-03 , 14:16
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citanul View Post
However, I wonder if it might be possible to give selected forumites the ability to moderate the general section and that section only. That would solve the moderation problem, although I think the chances of that idea being implemented aren't great.
I've asked about that possibility before, they won't hear of it. I can understand that but think it reflects a fear-based environment instead of a creative one.

And now remembering something related that I was once told in confidence, I realise this idea isn't going to happen, not until there's a broader MC appreciation of what the Forum can and does offer. (Sorry, I can't elaborate - my participation on this thread is done.)