Forum > DStv Forum Archive (12 May 2014) > Replace Missing HD content with SD content?
View Poll Results: Does a channel replace missing HD content with available SD content?
Yes I prefer to see the game as advertised even if it is not in HD 15 65.22%
No, I only want HD content on an HD channel 7 30.43%
I do not care either way 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-30 , 09:06
Technical Myriad

Default Replace Missing HD content with SD content?

As we have seen quite often, things go wrong and sometimes it becomes necessary to change the broadcast content at a very late stage.

Now when this involves an HD channel and many may have decided to record a game they are interested in, what does a channel owner do IF the HD content becomes unavailble at the last minute?

Do they:

Replace the HD content with SD content if that is available?

Or

Do they look for other HD content and broadcast that instead?

What do you think? Please vote on the Poll.

Best

Geoff D
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15

Last edited by Geoff D; 2011-11-30 at 10:17. .
Old 2011-11-30 , 10:02
Changes remote batteries daily

tough one….. but i doubt if replacing HD with SD on an exclusive HD channel is ideal. better keep SD to SD and HD to HD. this from a perspective of an HD user. this will become immaterial to non HD users anyway

silent witness
Old 2011-11-30 , 11:22
Banned

Default Content First

There's a lot to consider here.
HD content is usually available on the SD counterpart channels.
How often would viewers need or want to record sport coverage, especially if it's live?
Is SD content on HD channels always indicated?

But in the end, personally I think getting to see what I expected to is the first concern. I'm not going to be happy to miss a match just 'cos the quality isn't what I'm used to.
Then again, I'm the type who used to be happy watching Star Trek on Bop TV when there was a lot more snow than picture...

Last edited by Brian G; 2011-11-30 at 11:24. . Reason: Grammar
Old 2011-11-30 , 23:33

This is indeed tricky and it only really effects people that are out and have set a recording. Those people would definitely want the advertised event to be shown - even if it is then in SD - much better than missing the entire event. If showing it on the HD channel in SD means it will also be in widescreen then that is a definite yes!

People at home will just switch to the SD channel and would probably prefer the channel to show something else in HD - most definitely so if there is maybe another Live HD event that can be shown instead (this should maybe be included in the poll as that would get my vote).

My preferences would be:
- show it in SD instead if it is also in widescreen (works whether I'm at home or I'm away and recording)
- show a differnet HD Live event if available (only good if I'm at home)
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2011-12-01 , 09:04

It depends on the situation. When I am home, I'd prefer them to keep it on an SD channel with a banner on the HD channel advising me of what happened but when I am away obviously I'd want them to keep it on the HD channel anyway bcoz there is no worse feeling that playing a recording that's absolutely not what u expected but I have a 3rd option which will probably help solve the problem which I think deserve a thread of its own.
Old 2011-12-01 , 09:07
4K, baby!

Lightbulb

Interesting question for a poll, Geoff

Of course there is a dilema here. If I've set an HD recording do I miss the match if, at the last minute, it's not available in HD, as would have happened this week with the Carling Cup?

However I think that, to allow MC any flexibility in this matter, would allow it to become even more sloppy with quality, content and scheduling than it currently is and that the exceptions could become a 'valid' excuse for mistakes.

Hence, if I'm in any doubt, or the programme is partucularly important to me, in future I'll schedule the SD broadcast for recording, too.

And hence my vote for HD content only on an HD channel.

Cheers, K.

Last edited by Sandtonman; 2011-12-01 at 09:12. .
Old 2011-12-01 , 09:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtonman View Post
Hence, if I'm in any doubt, or the programme is partucularly important to me, in future I'll schedule the SD broadcast for recording, too.
I'd also prefer that but I think relatively few people have to option of 2 recordings at once.
Octo-LNB to 2 x 5.2 switches. Explora 1 (Primary) & HDPVR 2P (Secondary) in lounge, Samsung 55" UA55F8500 Smart 3D LED TV, HDMI picture and audio via Onkyo TX-NR626 receiver, Samsung BD-F7500 3D Blu-Ray player. Explora 1 in bedroom with HDMI picture & audio to Samsung 32" UA32F5500 Smart LED TV.
Old 2011-12-01 , 09:21
4K, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krugie View Post
I'd also prefer that but I think relatively few people have to option of 2 recordings at once.
Hi Krugie, anyone with a 4-Tuer PVR has this option but, agreed it's relatively few; so, if one recording environment only and in any doubt about the flighting of HD, then schedule the SD recording.

HD should mean HD and no excuses. Flexibility for MC is the thin end of the wedge!

Cheers, K.
Old 2011-12-01 , 09:25

After voting, take a look @ a notification suggestion http://forum.dstv.com/showthread.php?t=14197
Old 2011-12-01 , 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
How often would viewers need or want to record sport coverage, especially if it's live?
You will be surprised. Once I could not watch the New York Marathon which live and was 3 hours long - I recorded it and watched it later in the day. Whenever I record live sports, I stay away from FB, Twitter, news, etc because I don't want to hear the score Well it works for me
HDPVR 2P, 42" Samsung LED TV
-----------------------
BEDROOM 2 -
Phillips 42" LED TV, Can View Both The PVR & 2P