Forum > Discussions > Discussions > Comparing the Explora to the SD PVR
Old 2017-07-24 , 11:07
Changes remote batteries hourly

Default Comparing the Explora to the SD PVR

Some people will wonder why anyone would want to compare these two decoders, but on the opposite side die-hard SD PVR owners would wonder why anyone is prepared to give up their SD PVR.
So maybe time to discuss the ins and outs for all those who are unsure what to do.

The most obvious advantage of an Explora - HD.
And the SD PVR - dualview independent viewing environments which both have unlimited access to its PVR functionality.

What the Explora does and can do better than the SD PVR (I may have missed some items);
  • Lots more Catch Up (CU), which includes tons more via an internet connection on CU+.
  • Lots more Box Office (BO).
  • Great search facilities.
  • Far more harddrive space for recordings.
  • If within budget, the Explora can be used with two other of the most modern decoders to also achieve 3 viewing environments, but note that recorded content can only be shared between other TVs like a SD PVR if the cabling is specifically set up for that. Also note that it costs R85 p/m more for this modern option.
  • External set up recordings option.
  • Series Based Recording (SBR)
  • Access to the ShowMax service
Further disadvantages of the SD PVR;
  • It's getting old, some of its functionality may become useless in time.
  • It's further no longer technically supported.
  • The above includes no replacement units available from MC, so only the second hand market can assist with that.
  • There shortly won't be an option to connect a SD PVR as a new (or presumed as a replacement either) device on one's account. When exactly is not known.
  • The design of the SD PVR prevents it from being able to practically use the later planned for additional Hi Band services coming from MC, so some future new channels won't work with it.
  • The expansion of the DStv service has made it necessary to limit the EPG (Guide) as its memory was not designed for this modern extent of service.
Queries & comments most welcome of course, including anything from the Mods.

Not everyone will agree but I've got both so can honestly say it's time to move over IMHO. (But in contradiction, due to budget and my love for the machine I'm not in a personal hurry to let go... )

For any help with setups, please rather start a new thread in the Installations forum section.

Last edited by Optimist; 2017-07-24 at 12:03. . Reason: Added further features remembered
Old 2017-07-24 , 11:11
Has mastered the i-Plate and DStv guide

The minute they scrap the second R85 access fee for the 3rd viewing environment, there won't be any reason left to hang onto a SD PVR.

However the SD PVR is more beautiful than the Explora and it has a great advertising song by the Parlotones!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 2017-07-24 , 11:31
Changes remote batteries hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock4us2 View Post
The minute they scrap the second R85 access fee for the 3rd viewing environment, there won't be any reason left to hang onto a SD PVR.
Considering the extra advantages of the modern system I've later come to think it is worth it, but IMO MC would have done a lot better to make the second additional-services access fee cost less. Maybe something like R60 or even R45.