Forum > Value Added Services > DStv Now > Audio only during DStv Now playback
Old 2017-10-09 , 13:00
Knows how to use a remote

Default Audio only during DStv Now playback

I have been having a frequent problem when trying to play catchup content on DStv Now mobile for iOS where I can hear the audio, but have no video (i.e. just a black screen). When using a web browser on a PC though, the titles would play fine

I have now discovered that this is only happening when choosing the "lowest" video quality setting (118MB/hour) on my device from the "maximum video quality" option in "settings". When using the "low" setting (225MB/hour), both audio and video works fine

Can somebody from MC please look into this?
Old 2017-10-09 , 22:11
Watches YouTube a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerrycan View Post
I have been having a frequent problem when trying to play catchup content on DStv Now mobile for iOS where I can hear the audio, but have no video (i.e. just a black screen). When using a web browser on a PC though, the titles would play fine

I have now discovered that this is only happening when choosing the "lowest" video quality setting (118MB/hour) on my device from the "maximum video quality" option in "settings". When using the "low" setting (225MB/hour), both audio and video works fine

Can somebody from MC please look into this?
Hi amerrycan

I'll check this with our iOS team and get back to you.
Old 2017-10-12 , 08:17
Watches YouTube a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Grace View Post
Hi amerrycan

I'll check this with our iOS team and get back to you.
Hi amerrycan

Kindly see response from the platforms team:-
This is the expected behavior. The lowest quality of the stream is “audio-only” therefore there is no picture, but there is audio. This quality might be useful for a sports game where you listen to the event rather than watching if you need to use very low data.

The user should use “low” setting as they mentioned previously.
Old 2017-10-20 , 13:25
Knows how to use a remote

Hi MC Grace, apologies for the late reply

Thank you for the feedback, however I'm struggling to understand how a setting that is labeled as "maximum video quality" can be said to be an audio-only stream, or how it can be expected behaviour when I have used that same setting in the past to watch catch-up content?

Unless this is a change that has only recently been made and was not updated yet in the app interface? I am not using the very latest version so not sure..

Anyway, I don't mind an audio-only stream, but I would ask that you lower the stream quality, because at 118MB/hour, that would equate (very roughly) to about 260kbps, if my math is correct, which seems to be really high for audio only?
Old 2017-10-29 , 22:49
Watches YouTube a lot!

Quote:

Thank you for the feedback, however I'm struggling to understand how a setting that is labeled as "maximum video quality" can be said to be an audio-only stream, or how it can be expected behaviour when I have used that same setting in the past to watch catch-up content?

Unless this is a change that has only recently been made and was not updated yet in the app interface? I am not using the very latest version so not sure..

Anyway, I don't mind an audio-only stream, but I would ask that you lower the stream quality, because at 118MB/hour, that would equate (very roughly) to about 260kbps, if my math is correct, which seems to be really high for audio only?
Hi amerrycan

Sorry for the hold up.

Let's see what the platforms team say on the matter.
Old 2017-10-30 , 08:52
Technical Myriad

Please confirm that the settings are measured in MegaBytes per hour.
MB/Hour.
And. No my limited knowledge of the subject, the low end settings are NOT supposed to mean no video. This has to be someone's skew interpretation of what the settings are supposed to mean
Surely for audio only streaming that could apply as a maximum value?
Win 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1703, build 15063.138
1.2m antenna, 8-way universal LNB, 2x6 MS, FSM permanently connected.
MS Edge 40 with MSEdge HTML 15
Old 2017-10-31 , 19:29
Watches YouTube a lot!

Quote:

Hi amerrycan

Our dev team is working on resolving the issue. Feedback will be sent once received.